• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

2011 gt500 1-2 shift problem

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by svtcobra2k1, Jul 12, 2010.

1. svtcobra2k1

svtcobra2k1 Dead Crawlin... Established Member

Have had my 2011 for about a week now it has 225 miles on it. At 100 or so miles I went 1-2 at full throttle, it grinded but went in. Was kind of shocked but thought nothing of it. Next day I tried it again and it grinded and wouldn't go into 2nd at all. Has happend everytime since(about 5 times). I'm not power shifting this car or anything. Seems like it has problems under wot with getting into 2nd gear. Not happy at all since I just got this thing. Seems like others have had similar problems as well. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. FireDragon

FireDragon New Member Established Member

It's happened to me a couple of times, too. At first I thought it was just me, not being in an manual for a few years. But after hearing other people with the same problem, I think there is more to it. Almost makes ya not want to get on it in front of people, in case it grinds. Embarrassing! :(

3. Sonic 03 Cobra

Sonic 03 Cobra Yes, that's a 2011 Established Member

I have the same problem, though I don't think mine is as bad as what you describe. For me it seems to happen every once in a while, nothing consistent. Caught me by suprise the first time it happened. I'm also not happy to have this problem on a $57K car. I'm taking the car into the dealer this week for a separate issue (getting a faint metallic rotational noise @ 4-5K rpm). I don't want to let the shelby go to the dealer for a week while they rebuild the transmission when it's only 3 weeks old!

4. svtcobra2k1

Everything else is great with the car except the 1-2 shift

5. svtcobra2k1

I'm really picky when it come to taking the car into the dealer and am not looking forward to them taking the transmission apart into pieces

6. SHELBY-R

SHELBY-R New Member Established Member

I have the same problem here. Car has less then 100miles

7. svtcobra2k1

Ok what I want to do is make spreadsheet with all the cars that have this problem since there is no tsb on this. If you have this problem send me a pm with your name number and vin so we can keep record of how many cars have this problem. If someone can link this to other forums like team shlby and other gt500 forums it would be great. Thanks

8. blown65

blown65 Member Established Member

2010's do the same thing. Mine has from day one if you shift too fast on the 1-2.

9. svtcobra2k1

Are there any known fixes or what the exact problem is?

10. bpmurr

bpmurr Well-Known Member Established Member

Same here, a bunch of us over at Team Shelby have been talking about this since the 2010 GT500 came out.

11. Rosco P

Rosco P Wishes a MoFo would.... Established Member

Yup, thought it was just me.

Wont go into 2 at wot.

12. svtcobra2k1

have any of you with the problem taken the car in? What has the dealer said?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  13. cbrmuscle

cbrmuscle Member Established Member

I have an 08 which had that exact problem among others. Once I had the clutch repaired under the TSB that cover's the first couple year it shifts perfectly from partial to full throttle. I hope there isn't problems with the '10 '11 clutches as well...

14. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

I remember seeing mention of different bushings being used in the 2011 shifter assembly. If I owned a '11, I'd probably be changing to the FRPP shifter assembly unit anyway, but I'd take a good look at the stock shifter. I'm not aware of and mechanical changes made to the Tremec 6060 used in the '11 as opposed to the '10, for example.

Tob

15. barstoolman

barstoolman Member Established Member

Here we go again!!!!! First we had the clutch drag in the 07's and 08's.....now a shifting problem in the 11's. Ford and SVT just can't seem to get these cars right. Its a shame. I just got mine back (after sitting and waiting in the service department for 1 month) with the new clutch based on the most current TSB (mine is an '08). This is my third clutch and so far, this one is how I always imagined the car should shift and drive. By the same token, as much as I am grateful for Ford standing behind their product, I have put 28,000 less than enjoyable miles on my car until they got it right. I was thinking of getting an '11 but now, after hearing about this, forget it. Sounds like either the same old thing or a tranny problem. Its back to Vettes for me...as soon as I sell mine that is.

16. mullens

mullens Active Member Established Member

Yes didn't someone say it had to do with the shift fork? Mine did it once then I made sure I planted the clutch before shifting and it hasn't happened since. IMO I'd just put up with it rather than have some tech tear into my tranny. It's not right for a 55k car but I guess we're stuck with it.

17. mullens

mullens Active Member Established Member

Look over on the Z06 forums..they're having the same problem with the Tremecs.

18. GTSpartan

GTSpartan Yield right!!!! Established Member

Tremecs have never shifted smoothly. Shifting my Viper is a major PITA too.

19. svtcobra2k1

I agree but it should be grinding and not let me get into second...tried again once with clutch all the way down to floor then shift into second still did the same

20. AlanSVT

AlanSVT New Member Established Member

Mine did it when I first bought the car. But now at 6k miles. Its SMOOTH....