2011 gt500 1-2 shift problem

chuckstang

Established Member
Man, this sounds incredibly similar to what the 03/04 Mach 1 guys experienced. Of course, that was the T-3650. But, often it was a clutch related issue. In that case the plastic quadrant would flex during hard shifting. Makes me wonder is this is slave cylinder related, given the GT500s hydraulic set up.

yup been thinking this for awhile now, but not many others agree it could be possibility.

Some say just a simple bleed will sovle any hydraulic issues, I will let everyone know once I get that done!

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
welcome the the tr6060 guys!!!

ill explain as best i can what is happening...

when tremec changed to the tr6060 they really beefed up the syncho cones and internals to handle the higher torque and hp loads from new cars like z06 zr1 cobra viper etc... it really is an all around better and smoother shifting tranny than the t56 it replaces...

BUT!!!!

due to the new design and the thicker fluid it uses the tranny has MAJOR issues when cold shifting. either the synchros are sticking or just plain sticky when cold due to the viscosity of the fluid...

the problem has no real answer other than to advise the customer to change driving habits.

heres why....

if they thin the fluid and free up the synchros then when the tranny gets REALLY hot during racing things can overheat and also start to fail

if they leave it as is you have to wait until the tranny is completely warm to get it NOT to grind.

the 3650 in the mustang GT has the EXACT same issue.

the main reason it is the 1-2 shift is that it usually is the most often "powershifted " gear. most guys doing runs down the street pretty much stop by top of 3rd gear unless they want to spend the night in jail. but a quick 1-2 shift is pretty much a given from light to light.

tremec DOES know about thisa issue. it has plagued the viper and z06 world for years. not sure what they are planning to do with it but gm has issued tsb's that basically tell the customer to allow tranny to reach operating temp prior to shifting fast. yes i know not an answer but only tremec knows what the ultimate solution will be.

so for now best advice i can give you is WAIT WAIT WAIT until that tranny is up to temp!!!!

a short shifter will NOT help this and actually will make it SEEM worse only because you will be shifting FASTER!!!!

regards
george

txturbogs

Established Member
same thing

I've been having the same issue going 1-2 at WOT. I'm going to change the fluid. Any reccomendations? Oh yes, I have a 2010 with 12k miles

svtcobra2k1

Dead Crawlin...
Established Member
I talked to kevin Ryan (product engineer) at tremec and we came to the conclusion that syncros were bad......but possibly due to the clutch not engaging/disengaging properly......which means that clutch may no be adjusted correctly from factory (incorrectly bled cylinder).....I am just going off what he told me. Feel free to call tremec and ask for him. He said the trans should shift as smooth as butter lol.

chuckstang

Established Member
the temp has nothing to do with the issues at hand. Shifting while cold is something that has been a no no on all TR6060s but this 1-2 grind that this thread speaks of only pertains to the 2010-2011 GT500s because the tranny internals are not the same.

Not saying you are wrong because you are not! Just pointing at that the issue at hand is a bit different.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Mine did it once then I made sure I planted the clutch before shifting and it hasn't happened since.

+1

I have the same problem, and I believe this is one of the biggest factors that contribute to it occurring. Simply put, I find the hydraulic system slow and lazy in all gears compared to my 5.0L's crisp cable arrangement. With the GT500 it's plant clutch, shift, release, no problems, anytime I actually think about what I'm doing it never happens. FWIW I run a TKO600 in the '95 and it's no butter smooth T5, but it never clashes on the upshifts.

Last edited:

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
my dads 07 GT500 has done it since the month he bought it. 1-2 powershifting wont work, unless its at 6k rpms or less. If he shifts pass 6, it has a slight to moderate grind. Being cold or warm does not affect his transmission. Theres also rumors that because its a hydralic clutch, the fluid or something to due with the hydralic cannot react fast enought when dis engaging the clutch

chuckstang

Established Member
Only positive of hydraulic over cable IMO is less pedal effort but give more more effort and better feel anyday

Bad03Cobra

Gotta love Boost........
Established Member
You can add me to the list also..Have been complaining about this since 30 miles on the odometer....it sucks..mine is a 2011

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
No doubt our trannies have the same issue as the TR-3650 with cold 1-2 shifting.

The powershift "lockout" issue may well be related to the CSC/hydraulic set up not reacting quick enough, particularly under extreme conditions.

Some folks may have worn synchro issues too.

But, the fact that 2010/2011 guys are seeing more issues than usual seems indicative of something specific to those model years. I have never heard any 2007-2009 guys complain that the shift throws were unequal.

So, probably not all the same problem/issue.

Last edited:

que4dog

Established Member
No doubt our trannies have the same issue as the TR-3650 with cold 1-2 shifting.

The powershift "lockout" issue may well be related to the CSC/hydraulic set up not reacting quick enough, particularly under extreme conditions.

Some folks may have worn synchro issues too.

But, the fact that 2010/2011 guys are seeing more issues than usual seems indicative of something specific to those model years. I have never heard any 2007-2009 guys complain that the shift throws were unequal.

So, probably not all the same problem/issue.

+1. This is confusing to me because one of the best improvements I spoke of with my 08 over the 03 was the smooth like butter shifting. The car shifts so smooth I think it may shift even if I forget to. lol

AIMFordRiley

Hello Guys... new to the forum!

I just recently purchased a 2011 Shelby GT500 Coupe. I have this shifting problem and have 900 km on my car. It has had the problem ever since new. The problem is as many of you have described. Hard acceleration in first gear and trying to shift between 5500 and 6200 it grinds and sometimes goes into 2nd or grinds and is completely locked out of 2nd gear. A moment in neutral and then into 2nd works but this is no good. 2nd gear seems to be notchy even under normal or slow driving conditions. All other gears engage fine.

My previous car was a 2007 Shelby GT500 and it exhibited none of these characteristics in 40,000 km. I went through 2 clutches but never shifting problems.

I have contacted my dealer locally and they are going to investigate.

Has anyone had this problem looked at or addressed?

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
This is JMHO so no bashing. For one this car has a twin disc clutch. So the clutch has to be pushed all the way in. Second problem is, gear ratio from first to second is the widest of all the gears. Gear ratios are 1st 2.97 2 1.78 3 1.30 4 1.00. So the second gear synchro has to work very hard. This trans and clutch should be broke in before any power shifting. Also it doesn't leave much room for error. So y'all need to practise more before power shifting.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
This is JMHO so no bashing. For one this car has a twin disc clutch. So the clutch has to be pushed all the way in. Second problem is, gear ratio from first to second is the widest of all the gears. Gear ratios are 1st 2.97 2 1.78 3 1.30 4 1.00. So the second gear synchro has to work very hard. This trans and clutch should be broke in before any power shifting. Also it doesn't leave much room for error. So y'all need to practise more before power shifting.

you correctly identified 1 issue being the 1-2 ratio spread. 2nd gear is moving too fast and doesn't engage clean @ high rpms.

there is no fix for this issue and no amount of additional practice will cure it. unless you want to spend big $$.

I do have redline d4 fluid waiting to go in since last year but my hopes arent high... so it sits

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I also noticed the length of the throw is different for 1,3,5 and 2,4,6

Guys, I called svt and talked with a rep. He had no idea about the problem. I told him there were a ton of us with the problem. He reccomeded that we call to report the problem and they can start keeping track. He said there was no fix or tab he knew of.

1-800-ford-svt

that seems like a great idea

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
you correctly identified 1 issue being the 1-2 ratio spread. 2nd gear is moving too fast and doesn't engage clean @ high rpms.

there is no fix for this issue and no amount of additional practice will cure it. unless you want to spend big $$.

I do have redline d4 fluid waiting to go in since last year but my hopes arent high... so it sits

Thanks for the review. But your wrong on 2nd gear moving too fast. Read this and you'll see how it works. Just look for "up to speed". The redline oil isn't going to help. Save your money.......

How a Transmission Works

Users who are viewing this thread