2011+ GT500 vs Terminator

LOPSI

SVT Goon
Established Member
I have been struggling with the decision for months now. I can afford either or. I know what Im getting with a Terminator, a glorious nice weather show car. A GT500 Id have to daily drive in the winter I dont like the sound of that. Need some opinions good or bad I dont care. Need to hear from some Terminator owners to see if they would pick the GT 500.

Jmurrz

Established Member
A GT500 Id have to daily drive in the winter I dont like the sound of that.

Sounds like the answer should be a Terminator to me! My dad has a 12 GT500 and although you could DD in the spring/summer/fall much easier than my cobra, it would be a nightmare for the winter. Plus I would hate to drive any car I cared about on the salted roads that corrode everything.

IMO get a nice daily, and a clean Terminator, Good luck!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Drive both and then decide. Big differences between the two. What you buy should be based on your needs. You haven't heard yet from any GT-500 owners, either. Remember, this is the Terminator Talk forum. Most who post here are diehard Terminator owners or love the car. Those in the GT-500 forums would be mainly pro GT-500. That's why I say drive them both and decide which platform most meets your needs. I happen to love the '03-'04 Cobra (owned a 2003) but for daily comfort and reliability, the GT-500 would get my nod. Weekend fun only? Probably the Cobra.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Most owners who DD GT500's are in states that don't see " real " winters.
It would not be my 1st choice for a daily...............( my daily is a 2007 5 speed Ranger. )

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Do you want to strike fear and envy in the hearts of all those you encounter on the street or have people think you have a late model V6 Mustang with stripe kit and nice wheels :D

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
I own both 03 whippled terminator and a modded 14 GT500. Now I can't agree anyone has thought my 500 was a V6 but I do agree that they're two totally different cars. By that being said I find myself in the 03 twice as much. The 500 is a more refined car and the terminator is more raw. But like CobraBob said it comes down to personal preference. If it's just a weekend cruiser I'd give the Terminator the nod.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The GT500 is a better car, stiffer chassis at the cost of weight with a longer wheelbase

Now look at the volume of traffic in the Terminator section compared to all the GT500 sections combined. That speaks volumes when you consider the Terminator was only produced 2 years and Ford only made 20,000 of them vs. 8 years of GT500 production. There are a number of Terminator owners who traded up to a GT500 and either sold it for another Cobra or bought another Terminator adding it to the flock (how often does that happen?).

None of these cars should be driven in the snow that would be horrifying, rain not much better.

Can't go wrong with either, drive both and use that as the basis of your decision.

Last edited:

72SBC

Established Member
I sold my 14' GT500 for a 04. The 04 is way more fun to drive and just looks better honestly. I do miss the power and the creature comforts of the 500 though.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I sold my 14' GT500 for a 04. The 04 is way more fun to drive and just looks better honestly. I do miss the power and the creature comforts of the 500 though.

The '14 power is just a blower upgrade away. I would love to find out, I haven't had the chance yet, but I would bet my car would be 1-2 lengths either way against a stock 13/14.

SlowSVT

Established Member

Good move!

The linerless block alone on the 13/14 would dissuade me from owning one in the first place. No one in their right mind would use the 5.8 as a basis for an engine build :uh oh:

4.6/5.4 all the way baby :rockon:

svtshadow

Banned
I DD my cobra last winter in the snow. Just gotta have a Drivers Mod, moreover i dont give a shit about salt and rust etc etc...

LOPSI

SVT Goon
Established Member
I personally have wanted a Terminator every since I first found out what they were. But I cant seem to get my hands on the one so to speak. Thanks everyone for the comments hopefully I will be a part of the Terminator family soon.

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
I had an 03 Cobra and sold it to buy an 08 GT500 .To me the Terminator has more of that raw muscle car feel . That's why I am back in an 04 Terminator :)

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Seems to me that there is a major price difference between the 2. You could probably get a clean Terminator PLUS a beater for snowtime for less than a GT500. Then take the money saved and start modding the Terminator into a GT500 killer.

One reason I never upgraded is because my experiences with too much tech has always meant a less reliable car. The Terminator may not be as reliable as a similar year GT, but the less tech it has, the more reliable it is. Just my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread