2011 GT500s still worthy?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I was looking to go pickup a new 2021 GT for $41k tomorrow and while browsing cars I came across a 2011 GT500 w/ 21k miles for sale, dealer is asking $48k.. which to me, seems a little steep. I am going to go check it out tomorrow morning before I check out the 2021 GT and see what they’ll give me for my WRX and see what they can get the price down to. I think $44k would be fair.

What do you guys think about the price on the GT500.. it looks clean on the photos, according to the carfax, it had an issue a couple times passing emissions and had the differential serviced a few times.

I know the GT500 will hold its value and the GT won’t. I kind of prefer the looks of the 2021 but of course the GT500 is a nice car.

I’m really torn between the two, any advice for choosing one or the other would be great, as I’m not super well versed in the newer Mustangs, I always buy older shit, lol. Anything to look out for or beware of on either one of these cars would be helpful. I’d really like to bring one of them home with me tomorrow.

Won’t be looking for huge HP or anything, just a solid nice weather driver.. would probably end up boosting the GT later on down the road if I went with that, but again, not looking for huge numbers, just a little fun.

Thanks.

noco5.0

Established Member
Not a dealer but have considered a GT500 for awhile...I wouldn't pay 48 for a 2011 with those miles much better deals on 11/12s.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Yea I won’t pay $48k for sure. At $43-44 I would consider it, if they give me decent trade value for the WRX.

But if the 21 GT is the better car, maybe I’m better off with that. Looking to keep my next Mustang until I can’t drive anymore (that’s what I always say), so I guess resale value isn’t that big of a deal to me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yea I won’t pay $48k for sure. At $43-44 I would consider it, if they give me decent trade value for the WRX.

But if the 21 GT is the better car, maybe I’m better off with that. Looking to keep my next Mustang until I can’t drive anymore (that’s what I always say), so I guess resale value isn’t that big of a deal to me.

Better to drive...easier to mod...better platform.

I'd go with the 21 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
OP it really depends on what you want. To me, you can always find a clean GT, they are a mass produced vehicle. A clean 2011-2014 GT500 is more limited in it's production run and will always have more value. I have had several mustangs, and my favorite is my 2011 GT500. It has enough creature comforts and I prefer the design of the S197, plus it's easy to mod the GT500 platform. A pulley, intake and tune and your over 550HP to the wheels and very reliable.

850SNCobra

Established Member
21' S550. Comfort and the newer cars will surprise you with how quick they can get with basic bolt on's. Slapping a blower on it, that thing will give a bolt on shelby a run for it's money if not gap them depending on the shelby's mods.

I love my old GT500 though, once you get into a shelby and see all the attention people give it, it makes you feel good to own one lol. Makes me love mine a bit more, even kids see the snakes and know what's up LOL.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
im sure the latest mustang is a nicer, better made car, but theyre everywhere. i see a ton everyday. i rarely see gt500s and when i do they really catch my attention. so if you want something special, the gt500 is the obvious choice. if you want comfort, tech, etc... the newest car.

a simply pulley package for $1k will make the gt500 run like a raped ape. the GT would need a blower really and id assume that would be $7-10K?

id depends on what you want. just looking to go fast? want a car that is fast and turns heads/gets attention/respect? looking for a daily driver?

if i were in the $50k market i would also strongly look at the new Mach One, if those can even be obtained for a decent price..

q6543

Established Member
Hard pass on a 11 gt500... it can't really keep up with anything.

Newer gen cars will smoke it, light to light a mach E and any tesla will put a football field on it, any old foxbody with a S trim or on3 kit will own it.

It is literally good for carshows and putting around town... maybe gets the jump on a gt350.
But that's kinda punching down.

Kevinbonds

Established Member

Newer gen cars will smoke it, light to light a mach E and any tesla will put a football field on it, any old foxbody with a S trim or on3 kit will own it.

It is literally good for carshows and putting around town... maybe gets the jump on a gt350.
A tesla would put a football field on just about any ICE car. Dollar for dollar the 2011-2014 GT500 is still a bargain, and personally a much better all around car than a mustang GT of any year.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
I went to look at the 2021 GT and left with it. Didn’t bother looking at the GT500 cuz I talked to them in the phone and they didn’t sound like they would budge on price at all and I wasn’t paying over $48k for it.

Thanks for the advice.. I took the GT on a nice long drive before buying it and I really like it and I’ll keep it awhile so I’m happy with the choice, even tho it would have been cool to have a GT500, lol. E10F4681-C8BE-400E-88AF-4AA323341EB7.jpeg

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I went to look at the 2021 GT and left with it. Didn’t bother looking at the GT500 cuz I talked to them in the phone and they didn’t sound like they would budge on price at all and I wasn’t paying over $48k for it.

Thanks for the advice.. I took the GT on a nice long drive before buying it and I really like it and I’ll keep it awhile so I’m happy with the choice, even tho it would have been cool to have a GT500, lol.View attachment 1747535
Nice looking car, do you plan on upgrading the wheels and tires?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Nice looking car, do you plan on upgrading the wheels and tires?

Thanks, I do not know anything about these cars, I always buy old Mustangs, lol.. I gotta do research and see what I can run out back, but yes definitely would like to get a nice set of wheels on there.

SCALILOU

Established Member

I think your statement is little too general. I have never been "smoked" by a Tesla, hellcat, Gt350 or anything else for that matter. I even gapped a C8 on a roll race by a car's length in my 2008 Gt500. It's street legal and I just passed smog in California with flying colors. 3" pulley, Stock exhaust (except for axle backs), 4.10s and drag radials. Although I will say a Tesla Plaid is it's own animal, and since Tesla's birth, I have never seen one on the street. If I did, I would probably run the other way lol
IMG_20211216_133642_549.jpeg
IMG_20211216_133642_507.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraJet330

Established Member

Thanks for the advice.. I took the GT on a nice long drive before buying it and I really like it and I’ll keep it awhile so I’m happy with the choice, even tho it would have been cool to have a GT500, lol.View attachment 1747535
Congrats on your purchase. Nice looking ride! Those Coyotes can be potent and a blast to drive.

MT or AT? Also, is that equipped with the black accent package?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Congrats on your purchase. Nice looking ride! Those Coyotes can be potent and a blast to drive.

MT or AT? Also, is that equipped with the black accent package?

It’s a manual, I prefer manual, I actually had a Charger Scat Pack on order but I seen this Mustang and I just had to have the manual. I was worried I would end up hating to drive it because of the auto. So I’ll have to cancel the Scat Pack order now.

Yea it has the black accent package.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
21' S550. Comfort and the newer cars will surprise you with how quick they can get with basic bolt on's. Slapping a blower on it, that thing will give a bolt on shelby a run for it's money if not gap them depending on the shelby's mods.

I love my old GT500 though, once you get into a shelby and see all the attention people give it, it makes you feel good to own one lol. Makes me love mine a bit more, even kids see the snakes and know what's up LOL.

I've never been surprised by an S550. Perhaps I'm driving the wrong streets? :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread