2011 Mustang 5.0 - Tire / Control Arms / Launch 1/4 mile

HrsePwr

Established Member
Hi guys so I put my car on the Dyno this week.
Its bone stock. Just Pypes Axel Back ( Muffler deletes )
Its a 2011 Mustang Gt 6spd-Manual. Convertible
5th gear pull 1 :
377whp / 367wtq

Let car cool down
5th gear pull 2 :
381whp / 373wtq

At the track it did : 13.5 with Trac-Control ON
13.4 with Trac-Control OFF
Both passes leaving off idle. On 255/40/19 Pirelli Winter tires.

I just ordered a Tune and a JLT Cold Air intake and will be taking car back to the track.

I just tried on some Pirelli Corsa : 305/30/19's and they work well once the car picks up speed but there is a LOT of wheel hop down low. If I floor it in 2nd will just Hop Hop Hop. Cant get the tires to bark at all. My crappy 255/40/19 winters were barking hard in 3rd and there was very limited wheel hop. From 1st to 2nd would just melt and bark and 2nd to 3rd were hard barks.....

Not sure if I should order a set of LCA perhaps some BMR's or also get some different tires perhaps some 275/40/19's.

Car is going away for storage in a month. For next season I will pick up the Nito N05R drag radials as I hear good things about them.

So yea I would of thought a set of 305/30/19 pirellis would provide a lot more traction but they wheel hop like mad vs my crappy 255/40/19's winters which hardly wheel hoped.
Also I realize my 305/30/19's dont have a lot of sidewall so im thinking of replacing them with a set of 275/40/19's.

Any suggestions ?
Also im running the stock 19" brembo wheels.
And what does everyone think of my baseline dyno numbers ?

And what rpms are you guys taking off at track ?
On my 255's i tried 3000rpm and 2000 rpm and WAY too much spinning so ended up taking off at idle....

Last edited:

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
upper control arm with the stock ride height is the biggest culprit there. Upgrading that with a new mount would make a huge difference in eliminating wheel hop. LCAs wouldn't hurt either but if I had to choose one or the other id do the upper.

5lho

Established Member
Thanks.

In meantile should i take the 305/30/19's off ?
For some 275/40/19's ?
Im on the brembo pack 19's.

You don't have a lot of hope on an MT car of getting power down without a slick or drag radial. There are major shortcomings that need addressing immediately on a stick car: Upper control arm, lowers if you like, a shifting solution and a sticky tire.

I put a 91 octane tune only stick coupe in the 11s with the recipe above.

Your dyno numbers are fine, fwiw. You mph at the track and car weight with driver would be more instructive.

Last edited:

wile e coyote

Established Member
You are running that 305 on a factory brembo pack wheel?

You need to have those wheels on a 10.5-11" wide wheel. Those sidewalls must be screaming

HrsePwr

Established Member
**UPDATE - I just installed : Steeda Upper Control Arm , Whiteline Lower control arms, Steeda Panhard bar, Steeda MT82 transmission mount & purchased a SCT flash tuner with American Muscles Bama v2 tune. **

Ok so wheel hop is 100% gone !
My tires in the rear are : 305/30/19 Pirelli Corsa. running 19" brembo Pack rims.
With traction control off it just spins them, shifting in to 2nd tires are just spinning gotta let off gas and then go.

The bama v2 tune is amazing ! Huge power increase. I'm running the 93Race tune. Wow!
car just pulls! The car felt a little lazy b4 on stock tune, NOT ANYMORE !

any suggestions on hooking up with these tires ? I tried the pulls at night here in Canada and it is Cold ! About 8 degrees.

Im planning to go to track on weekend it's supposed to be sunny and 15 degrees.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
As stated above, those tires are A too short and B way too wide for those 9" wheels. With the curved sidewalks and edges of the tires due to the bulge you are not going to get a good contact patch on the ground and be able to utilize those tires. You will honestly be better off with a proper sized sticky tire than continuing to run those oversized tires on those wheels. With those suspension upgrades and tune, those tires are really holding you back.

Users who are viewing this thread