2011 Mustang Aluminum 1-pc. Driveshaft

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
In all fairness he did originally post on Friday, not this a.m.
I'm sure Rick has other things to do at work than spend his day on the message boards. Give a couple days during the week and I'm sure he will provide an answer to your legitimate question.

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of the office part of the day Friday and was out of town with no internet this weekend.

It is rated to 900 hp, however we have similar shafts in cars that make 900-1000 RWHP with no issues.

Thank you,

Rick

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What kinda rwhp will we see since this will result in a decrease in drivetrain loss.

Also, any changes in NVH?

You don't gain any RWHP, but you are decreasing the rotational mass that your motor and trans have to turn.

I'm sure you meant well with this post, however stating there will be no gain in RWHP is patently false. There will be no gain in flywheel HP but there will be a gain in RWHP.

It will vary between cars since the difference is driven by power level.

Any reduction in rotating mass will free up RWHP by, as you stated, decreasing drive train loss.

This has been proven over and over on hundreds of dyno tests that involved the simple change of rear wheel and tire combos but no other changes.

No bashing, I just thought I would add that in because a 20 pound reduction in rotating mass is VERY significant, even though the diameter is somewhat small.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I'm sure you meant well with this post, however stating there will be no gain in RWHP is patently false. There will be no gain in flywheel HP but there will be a gain in RWHP.

It will vary between cars since the difference is driven by power level.

Any reduction in rotating mass will free up RWHP by, as you stated, decreasing drive train loss.

This has been proven over and over on hundreds of dyno tests that involved the simple change of rear wheel and tire combos but no other changes.

No bashing, I just thought I would add that in because a 20 pound reduction in rotating mass is VERY significant, even though the diameter is somewhat small.

My bad then :bash:. I had always heard that it doesn't add to the rwhp but just makes it easier for the car to turn it! What you said makes sense though!

I have been a firm believer in aluminum driveshafts since I installed one in my first 5.0 Foxbody.

My uncle and I did an informal before and after drag session with our two cars. Before the driveshaft he outran me 1 1/2 car lengths. After the install we ran dead even.

He was so impressed he ordered one for his car. We installed it and ran the cars again and he was 1 1/2 cars lengths ahead again!!

Last edited:

wjk

Established Member
I don't understand why the stock one is a 2 piece unit.. I would think there has to be a reason why Ford made it that way. After all, a 1 piece unit would be much cheaper to manufacture. Any thoughts?

kingnut

Established Member
Sorry for the late reply. I was out of the office part of the day Friday and was out of town with no internet this weekend.

It is rated to 900 hp, however we have similar shafts in cars that make 900-1000 RWHP with no issues.

Thank you,

Rick

ty

Users who are viewing this thread