2011 Mustang GT Pulling the Transmission out! New Clutch

Toplait

Established Member
Hey folks, my cars got 80k miles on it now with the factory clutch. Its been a good clutch. I haven't had any issues with it. Its just time for an upgrade. So I bought a Exedy 600 and a Exedy Chromoly Flywheel. I worked on the car for 3 hours today. I have not yet pulled the transmission out yet. I still have the top two transmission bolts to take out before I can slide it back. I wanted to post on here how much of a pain in the butt it is with all these mods on the car just in case any one has the bright idea to replace the clutch with a combination of these.

1.) Driver side Pypes Long Tube Header hits the BMR front driver side control arm bolt when lowering the transmission down so I had to pull the bolt out.

2.) Cobra Jet Intake Manifold hits the firewall when lowering the transmission down to get batter access to top bolts. "Ill probably have to remove that if I don't have enough clearance to remove the transmission. Don't want to crack that plastic.

3.) The factory oil pan rubs the factory electric Steering Gearbox using the BMR K-Member with lowered motor mounts. So I tried to pull the steering linkage and the gearbox to make more room. O wait! The Boss 302 oil cooler interferes with pulling the gearbox out! So I then removed the tie-Rod end to see If I can swing it around. That's a no go on that. So I just left the gear box loose and slid the gearbox back as far as I could. I cant slide it off with the 302 oil cooler on that will have to come off. I could probably try removing the motor mounts and jacking the engine up. That would probably do the trick.

-I noticed the oil pan rubbing against the the Steering rack. There is some paint taken off. Wonder if BMR has any ideas to raise the motor up a tad. "washers?"

4.) At least the MGW shifter was easy to take out! 3 bolts and it slid right off.

So far so good just time consuming. I think the intake manifold will have to come off If I cant get the motor tilted enough. ug.

Yea there is no way I would let a shop work on my car with what Iv done to it. They would most likely let the intake manifold hold the weight of the engine on the firewall.

Ill finish it tomorrow. Its a learning experience.

hand-filer

Established Member
Not sure why you're having such a difficult time? I removed the top bolts from the engine compartment, pulled the transmission out a couple of inches, rotated it counter clockwise 5-10 degrees and yanked it out. No tilting required and in my case not a lot of tilting available with a Roush TVS in the way.

lshin037

Established Member
Not sure why you're having such a difficult time? I removed the top bolts from the engine compartment, pulled the transmission out a couple of inches, rotated it counter clockwise 5-10 degrees and yanked it out. No tilting required and in my case not a lot of tilting available with a Roush TVS in the way.

Why did you have to rotate it 5-10 degrees?

Toplait

Established Member
-Eventually the Steering rack will rub a hole in the oil pan if I don't raise the engine up. I can all ready see a round area were it is indented on the pan and paint rubbed off about the size of a pencil head. Ill have to get some washers and figure something out. For now Ill let it go. Another project to work on in the future.

-The intake manifold does rest on the firewall when I removed the transmission but it was not a lot of strain on it. I could still rock the engine a bit so it was balanced pretty well. I did how ever crank the engine mounts down some more to make sure there was not a lot of movement beforehand. How ever I did loosen them up some once done do to the oil pan rubbing issue. Just for the time being so it did not increase the rubbing.

Toplait

Established Member
Talked to people over at BMR concerning the K-member steering rack oil pan rubbing issue. I sent pictures to them and they said just shim the motor mounts up with a washer.
Driver_Motor_Mount.jpg%22%20alt=%22Driver_Motor_Mount%22%20border=%220%22%3E
These pictures were taken with car on ground while I was at work so not the best.

Steering Rack 2.jpg
Driver Motor Mount.jpg
Driver Rear Control Arm.jpg

Steering Rack 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread