2011 to 2014 GT Mustang any significant difference between years

George Wax

Established Member
Hello,
My brother asked me to post up if there are any major differences between the listed model years. Are certain years better than others and are there certain years to avoid. Any feedback would be appreciated. He is currently in the market to buy a GT Mustang from 2011 to 2014.

PC03GT

Established Member
I've had a 12 and now have a 13. I would say I like the body of the 13 better than the 12. There's really not to much of a difference between the years mechanically. Also the m82 sucks ass so go auto unless you plan on spending a lot of money on building the tranny or getting a t56

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
They removed the piston oil squirters from 12-13 on GTs.

Many '12s have oil squirters, though some dont, and some '13s have had oil squirters found in them. There are also some coyotes that have heads clearanced for 13mm cams. Some late '14s have 2015 coyote heads. It seems as though Ford just used what they had on hand when assembling some engines.

Early 2011s have a steering rack that will shudder when swapped for a FRPP unit, while other years are fine.

The '13-'14s have cooler gadgets, like the ford apps in the gauges cluster, where you can monitor limited PIDs of your car. The '13-'14 autos have select shift, while the '11-'12 autos don't.

I'd say just pick whichever model year looks best to you, although a 2014 GT with 2015 heads would be my choice if I was looking for one.

13-14 look better

Subjective. I think they look like wannabe Shelbys with that front end lol. Of course, 2011-2012s wear a damn diaper for a bumper.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
How do you tell if you have the 15 heads?

I'm not sure of a 100% sure way of knowing, however it's my understanding that having Engine Code EG397AA, a 3 bolt water pump pulley and an engine build date of early to mid 2014 should be indicators of having '15 heads. I believe they also have wider intake port flanges for the manifold.

IIRC, they're essentially cast Roadrunner heads(Boss).

helloWorld

Established Member
The 13s and 14s have heat extractors on the hood. They also come default with HID headlights and foglights that emit a white/blue light. They also have the horizontal white-colored daytime running lights.

5lho

Established Member
How do you tell if you have the 15 heads?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...date-for-14-s-that-might-have-15-engine-parts

I have them on my super late build 14. I wouldn't bet on them being loaded with anything other than standard GT parts but the casting is different.

I find my '14 quieter inside than the '12 was, It handles better right out of the gate, even though both were BBP and, the automatic is really cool, especially tuned. This car doesn't feel slower for having an automatic, that's for sure. The Sync text message in the tech pack works where I don't remember that ever happening on the '12.

Last edited:

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...date-for-14-s-that-might-have-15-engine-parts

I have them on my super late build 14. I wouldn't bet on them being loaded with anything other than standard GT parts but the casting is
I find my '14 quieter inside than the '12 was, It handles better right out of the gate, even though both were BBP and, the automatic is really cool, especially tuned. This car doesn't feel slower for having an automatic, that's for sure. The Sync text message in the tech pack works where I don't remember that ever happening on the '12.

What was your blend date? What is considered super late?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Adding to the above comments, 13/14 5.0's also have the true track package (which includes the torsen diff, 3.73's, Front & Rear stabilizer bars, retuned struts/shocks, carbon-fiber clutch plates, Boss Radiator and engine oil cooler along with brembo's) whereas the 11/12 models only received the 3.73 gears and brembos with the track package.

Personally, I liked the 11/12 models but couldn't buy one yet and when I was ready the 13/14's came out and I liked the body style and options even more.

My 5.0 was built late 2014 toward the end of the June builds, but, I have no clue on whether or not my car has '15 heads, nor will I find out anytime soon (hopefully)

Rodinator

Established Member
I have a 14 GT Auto base and my wife has a 12 V6 Manual Premium and I have to say I don't care for the hood vents at all on my 14. They are always dripping down on the engine area her 12 engine stays way cleaner. I do like the 14 tail lights, but I like the black lower side plates and rear lower valance of the 12. And I know it's not the case but her 12 seems smaller to drive it's kinda weird.

hitmix300

Established Member
no one brought up the #8 cylinder issues on earlier coyotes? i personally think the 13-14 GT looks killer.

KushBandit

Established Member
no one brought up the #8 cylinder issues on earlier coyotes? i personally think the 13-14 GT looks killer.

That was a tuning issue, were there was too much global timing, like with the SCT tune. Notice that there aren't #8 cylinders issues anymore. The '13-'14 coyotes are no better than the '11-'12s. The '13-'14 engines have a coated piston, but that's because the lack of oil squirters.

Bgoins

Established Member
Adding to the above comments, 13/14 5.0's also have the true track package (which includes the torsen diff, 3.73's, Front & Rear stabilizer bars, retuned struts/shocks, carbon-fiber clutch plates, Boss Radiator and engine oil cooler along with brembo's) whereas the 11/12 models only received the 3.73 gears and brembos with the track package.

Personally, I liked the 11/12 models but couldn't buy one yet and when I was ready the 13/14's came out and I liked the body style and options even more.

My 5.0 was built late 2014 toward the end of the June builds, but, I have no clue on whether or not my car has '15 heads, nor will I find out anytime soon (hopefully)

The 11/12 didn't have a Track Pack, just the Brembo Brake Package. Also the 11/12 BBP only came in manual where as you could get a 13/14 BBP in manual or auto. 13/14 Track Pack only comes in manual

Also there were some color changes between the 11/12 and 13/14

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
The 11/12 didn't have a Track Pack, just the Brembo Brake Package. Also the 11/12 BBP only came in manual where as you could get a 13/14 BBP in manual or auto. 13/14 Track Pack only comes in manual

Also there were some color changes between the 11/12 and 13/14

Yes, you're correct. I did post the "track pack" for 11/12 models sarcastically but failed to do a good job of indicating it.

I see a ton of people selling11/12 models or listing their cars in sigs saying they have "track pack" 11/12 models which seems they are trying to add more value to the car.

I think the colors added were deep impact blue, the darker red and sterling gray, right?

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member

I have them on my super late build 14. I wouldn't bet on them being loaded with anything other than standard GT parts but the casting is different.

I've got the new heads on my "14.5" GT/CS as they called it at the dealer. The late '14s have an upgraded ECU and the ability for "Track Key" like the BOSS. Launch control and pit lane limiter as well as a lopey idle and great engine braking characteristics you cannot get with a tuner, just by swapping keys (Talked with Shaun @ AED about engine braking in tunes, and I was impressed with his work so I have a SCT x4 with his tunes as well as track key now).
th_IMAG0097_zpsunyvov18.jpg

I like the 14's... I ordered 2 (ones a v6 Pony Pack for my mom)
th_20140521_183715_zpsgq9tvd3t.jpg

Excuse my mom's garage... she likes to pack it so tight that when you pull in the crap conforms to the shape of your car. (I pulled the old truck out to get a pic of the two together while her's was still clean)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread