2011 v6. Can it handle boost?

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Does the 2011 v6 have forged internals? I'm thinkin about getting one and turboing it. But it's not worth it to me if I have to build the motor.

Thanks guys

Jay

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
I highly doubt there base model engine will have forged internals....but then again I could be wrong.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'd bet money the rods and pistons are not forged. If they were that would be one hell of a sleeper mod car.

There's 2 for sale at the local dealer, $22.5k, not bad for a new 300hp car.

I think you'll see modded boosted ones making 375-400 at the rear.

Unoid

Established Member
why not spend 3grand and rebuild the engine then throw a couple turbos on it making 18PSI?

theres your 600rwhp car for you. for 23k+3K+8k+2k tuning/install
36k :)

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
why not spend 3grand and rebuild the engine then throw a couple turbos on it making 18PSI?

theres your 600rwhp car for you. for 23k+3K+8k+2k tuning/install
36k :)

aren't you forgetting the built transmission, upgraded suspension, and built rear end? Those things aren't free. Hell, they aren't even cheap. Throw another 5k on for those which puts you at 41k. For the headache, downtime, all the work and bs, I'd throw another 4k on that fire and start with a shelby.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Any engine can handle boost

The question is how much.

Id imagine it could do 5-7psi non intercooled and up to 11-13 intercooled. The more boost you run the less timing you can run to keep your rods in one piece, and the more fuel and octane you need to keep the pistons from melting.

Of course with race gas or e85 and a more than competent fuel system you can go pretty far. Also you can use bigger snails which move more air at equal to less boost than smaller ones, which means youll make more power and stress the motor less, but a bigger turbo may not suit the powerband youre looking for.

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
I think I remember reading it has a fairly high compression ratio from the factory. Something to think about.

Common

Established Member
aren't you forgetting the built transmission, upgraded suspension, and built rear end? Those things aren't free. Hell, they aren't even cheap. Throw another 5k on for those which puts you at 41k. For the headache, downtime, all the work and bs, I'd throw another 4k on that fire and start with a shelby.

This is internet car building math, get out of here with your common sense.

203Cree

Established Member

Don't forget that the V6 cars are running the GT drivetrain. I bet it'd handle way more than you think. The drivetrain anyway, lol.

dynasty_v6

Established Member

Also you can use bigger snails which move more air at equal to less boost than smaller ones, which means youll make more power and stress the motor less, but a bigger turbo may not suit the powerband youre looking for.

You can't have more flow at less boost, boost is a function of the restriction of the engine. If you raise the flow into the same restriction, you just get more boost...

bhiggs89

Established Member

The question is how much.

Id imagine it could do 5-7psi non intercooled and up to 11-13 intercooled. The more boost you run the less timing you can run to keep your rods in one piece, and the more fuel and octane you need to keep the pistons from melting.

Of course with race gas or e85 and a more than competent fuel system you can go pretty far. Also you can use bigger snails which move more air at equal to less boost than smaller ones, which means youll make more power and stress the motor less, but a bigger turbo may not suit the powerband youre looking for.

I think I remember reading it has a fairly high compression ratio from the factory. Something to think about.

I dont know all the details about this engine, but it is from the same family (Duratec) that has been around since the mid 90's. If its anything like the 2.5/3.0 that were in the Contours and Taurus/Escape/etc., then it can handle about 13psi fairly safely.

My Dad's turbo Contour made 354whp at 9psi. That was just a 3L from an Taurus with the SVT Contour cams swapped over. My car is right around 290-300whp, on the stock 2.5L SVT Contour motor @ 10psi

Throw a turbo on the '11 V6, run about 10 psi and you should be around 400-425rwhp.

Driver72

Established Member
the 5.0 cant even handle boost, so what makes you think the v6 can?

oh wait

Sure it can, quite easily and safely handle up to 7 psi.
The Shelby GT350 is a boosted 5.0 with no internal changes.
And there are 2-3 companies out now with 7 psi boost levels for the 5.0 as is.
Good enough for 600+ hp.

Unless it's just to be different, why spend the money on the V6 only to drop $5-6k into it to supercharge it (and more to put a twin turbo system on it) when you can get 105-110 hp more on a factory warrantied car by just getting a 5.0?

I'd understand the philosophy if the V6 was 200 lbs lighter and it's being done for a handling car, but the V6 is about what 50 lbs lighter. Not enough to make a big difference.

Just get a 5.0 and you'd have the power a s/c 3.7 V6 would be putting out. Or just add an intake and tune to the 5.0 to make sure you have enough to out power a s/c 3.7 and you'd still have the wonderful V8 sound.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Don't forget that the V6 cars are running the GT drivetrain. I bet it'd handle way more than you think. The drivetrain anyway, lol.

The automatics aren't running GT drive train. The V-6 has a 6R60 and the GT has a 6R80.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
The automatics aren't running GT drive train. The V-6 has a 6R60 and the GT has a 6R80.

Yea it does have less clutch plates other than that the same. You could upgrade easy enough if say you were some transmission guy and no one would know. It's better than the old gt transmission, 600 tq is better than 550 tq.

Users who are viewing this thread