2012 a6 are my 4.10's alittle too much?

casper gt

Established Member
went with 4.10's thinking they might not be enough, but now questioning that they might be too much.

the car is a 2012 5.0 a6 with a stock converter, cai, orh, a/b, shaftmasters d/s, the mentioned 4.10s & tune.

the best the car has been so far is a 1.85 60' 12.10@116.

I originally was going to go with 3.55's but now am wondering if I should go even less (or stay with the 4.10's)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
went with 4.10's thinking they might not be enough, but now questioning that they might be too much.

the car is a 2012 5.0 a6 with a stock converter, cai, orh, a/b, shaftmasters d/s, the mentioned 4.10s & tune.

I originally was going to go with 3.55's but now am wondering if I should go even less (or stay with the 4.10's)

what gear is it in when trapping

casper gt

Established Member
what gear is it in when trapping

with the tune that has been in the car (no runs on the new tune yet but the old tune stifted into 4th at 115 this one with no other changes shifts at 118) it shifts into 4th about 100 or so ft from the stripe

wbt

Banned
A 3.31 is the best N/A gear or an auto. It will run through in 3rd and it makes the car more consistent and keeps 1st gear usable.

Tune/tire with a stock 3.15:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QON4fQ6jm4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bolt-on's with a 3.31 in much worse air:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fdM2fQ4UKvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scotmach

Established Member
LOL @ 4.10's in an auto. Yea that wasn't the smartest choice. As WBT stated 3.31's are the best choice but I think the factory 3.15's are a pretty good choice. And they were free.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
As other have said, 4.10's are overkill for the A6.

.31's or .55's is the steepest I would go.

acrbill

Established Member
If you are looking for dragstrip advice then listen to WBT since he is running some very quick times.

I had 4.10s in my old 2011 manual and they were fun on the street and a detriment at the strip. The thing is that I only take my car to the track every now and again so it was worth the trade off.

I have my old 3.55s from my manual in the garage but I may just trade them for 3.31s since the difference isn't going to be that great on the street and they may help a bit at the track.

casper gt

Established Member
just curious, the car as it sits seems to have some good numbers to me, where would you guys think I would see improvement by by going with the 3.31's/etc?

I'll post a time slip here in a min. but keep in mind, I'm not trying to set records, first & foremost the car is used as a bracket car so consistancy & repeatability are what I'm shooting for (I'm also up against a 12.0 class break that really has no benifit to going to the next class so picking up any et will require some though as to a plan b).

thanks for your help.

bart414003.jpg

o2gt

Established Member

How are the 4.10 for street driving. Beyond not liking them on the track how are they? I was thinking about 3.73 might need to rethink.

stang1971

Established Member
LOL @ 4.10's in an auto. Yea that wasn't the smartest choice. As WBT stated 3.31's are the best choice but I think the factory 3.15's are a pretty good choice. And they were free.
i have 4.10's in mine and love then.... car traps 118 in 4th gear... it was a very smart choice.. i still get 26 mpg on the highway too

stang1971

Established Member
How are the 4.10 for street driving. Beyond not liking them on the track how are they? I was thinking about 3.73 might need to rethink.

love mine on the street.....with the gears and the stall i run around 2800 rpm at 80 mph

o2gt

Established Member
love mine on the street.....with the gears and the stall i run around 2800 rpm at 80 mph

how would they be without the stall? not really worried about rpm's at certain speeds more interested drivability.

jonp

Established Member
how would they be without the stall? not really worried about rpm's at certain speeds more interested drivability.

I run the same 4.10 gear without stall. I generally drive 80mph commuting and it stays under 3k RPM. The gears are sick on the street, but the stock tires are not. My next question is if I go 20" NTO5R Drag Radials, will they work at the strip close to slicks haha.

jonp

Established Member
i have 4.10's in mine and love then.... car traps 118 in 4th gear... it was a very smart choice.. i still get 26 mpg on the highway too

WTF am I doing wrong with my MPG? I get around 18-19 normal combo driving and 20-21 max on the highway.

stang1971

Established Member
the stall softened up my shifts... before the stall... it would bark 2nd and 3rd on the street under aggresive driving... i dont regret the 4.10's at all.

stang1971

Established Member
WTF am I doing wrong with my MPG? I get around 18-19 normal combo driving and 20-21 max on the highway.

dont get me wrong.. when im doing spirited driving my mpg sucks... but during my to and from commute to work... averaging 80 mph on the highway ill go from 25-28 mpg.

casper gt

Established Member

I actually like them all around, just kind of shopping around to see if I could improve the car.

if I was just driving it & didn't focus so much on the track I would love them without question.

without the suspension work & mt's on my car, I'm not so shure they would be a good choice though.

o2gt

Established Member
I actually like them all around, just kind of shopping around to see if I could improve the car.

if I was just driving it & didn't focus so much on the track I would love them without question.

without the suspension work & mt's on my car, I'm not so shure they would be a good choice though.
Im thinking tune, mid pipe and gears 3.73 with some sticky tires should be good. i don't think i will go to the track, just want to have fun on the street and take out my brother in-laws cammed g8.

Users who are viewing this thread