2012 Diesel Ranger! (not in U.S.A)

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Yeah I'd heard about this a few months back. Kinda makes sense if you think about it, Ford already has an overlap problem w/ the Edge, Flex and Explorer as well as the Fusion & Taurus. I could definitely see this new Ranger pulling some sales from the bottom end of the F150 market or maybe even from the cross-over SUV market like the Escape.

I have heard there are some pretty PO'd Ranger fans about this move though.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
WHY cant we have it!?!?!

Europe has so many good diesel cars and trucks but we can't get any of that...sucks

my uncle had a early 80s diesel ranger and he put 500K on that thing...500k! and it never had issues and got great mileage

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I understand the overlap problems. Make it a little smaller liker roughly the same size as a new tacoma and bring it out for 2013. It would definately be a cool daily driver.

REX-RACER

Established Member
WHY cant we have it!?!?!

Europe has so many good diesel cars and trucks but we can't get any of that...sucks

my uncle had a early 80s diesel ranger and he put 500K on that thing...500k! and it never had issues and got great mileage

An even better question would be why is there no small diesel option for the F150 or any of the US base line pick ups?

I understand the overlap problems. Make it a little smaller liker roughly the same size as a new tacoma and bring it out for 2013. It would definately be a cool daily driver.

Yeah, it reminds me a little of the now defunct Sport-Trac. That was a vehicle I thought never really got a fare shake.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
An even better question would be why is there no small diesel option for the F150 or any of the US base line pick ups?

Yeah, it reminds me a little of the now defunct Sport-Trac. That was a vehicle I thought never really got a fare shake.

Yes that is a good question, a small diesel would be great for a work truck. It just drives me crazy how ford releases some of the coolest vehicles in other countries.

only a gt

Established Member
Yes that is a good question, a small diesel would be great for a work truck. It just drives me crazy how ford releases some of the coolest vehicles in other countries.

I'm pretty sure the EPA is a big reason for this.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
One thing is for sure. It's about time the truck gets Completely overhauled. JMO but always hated the look of the Ranger. That I would drive.

Sn95Snake

Established Member

I disagree with that, the Focus RS that was only produced in Germany that had a turbo inline 5 with 305 horsepower could have been put in the U.S but they chose not to. They could have also brought the Ford Falcon to the U.S as well but they chose not to.

REX-RACER

Established Member

I disagree with that, the Focus RS that was only produced in Germany that had a turbo inline 5 with 305 horsepower could have been put in the U.S but they chose not to. They could have also brought the Ford Falcon to the U.S as well but they chose not to.

Yeah I dunno about that either, it seems Europe has a diesel version of most of their more popular cars and SUVs and I would doubt that their emissions standards are so wildly less stringent than ours. India & China perhaps that's true, but I really doubt that's the case in Germany, England, France, etc.

My guess is it has more to do w/ the economics of producing alternative engine platforms in the US.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Yeah I dunno about that either, it seems Europe has a diesel version of most of their more popular cars and SUVs and I would doubt that their emissions standards are so wildly less stringent than ours. India & China perhaps that's true, but I really doubt that's the case in Germany, England, France, etc.

My guess is it has more to do w/ the economics of producing alternative engine platforms in the US.

Ya the European car companies do have a diesel version of most of their popular cars. The American car companies should start making diesel versions of their popular economy cars to compete.
I could be wrong, but I believe Germany's emission standards are pretty strict as well...

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the f150 was supposed to get a small turbo diesel but instead got the ecoboost. Not 100% sure though, just what I've heard.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Ya the European car companies do have a diesel version of most of their popular cars. The American car companies should start making diesel versions of their popular economy cars to compete.
I could be wrong, but I believe Germany's emission standards are pretty strict as well...

The Euro emission laws are every bit as strict as the USA, if not more so.

We get lots of cool things that you don't get and vice versa like the Mustang is not officially exported or supported though Ford dealers.

I've never understood Fords strategy on this. A good car is a good car regardless of the market it is sold in. :shrug:

Sn95Snake

Established Member
The Euro emission laws are every bit as strict as the USA, if not more so.

We get lots of cool things that you don't get and vice versa like the Mustang is not officially exported or supported though Ford dealers.

I've never understood Fords strategy on this. A good car is a good car regardless of the market it is sold in. :shrug:

I thought so but I wasn't sure.

It would definately be cool if every car company would offer every type of their car world wide:thumbsup:.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member

Bingo.

Actually Euro standards are strict, but not as strict as EPA. Euro V standards aren't as bad as EPA/CARB 2010, and Euro VI isn't as bad as EPA 2013.

That's why you see tons of these diesel vehicles overseas in places that are still at a Euro II emissions level.

And it's not a big surprise. There's tons of small diesel trucks overseas. We see them daily. Nissan, Toyota, Hilux all use Cummins engines overseas, but you would never see one stateside, even though it's a US-built engine. Weird, huh?

Then again most of these are going to places where something like this would be the top dog. Most of those places have semis powered with the same engine we stuff in our Ram HD's.

Users who are viewing this thread