2012 GT500 2nd Gear Grinding Issues

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I also went to Deysha the first time but there is still a slight grind.

Zimm here is a list that ford fixed for me can you tell me from your fix if anything is missing?
AR3Z-7102-AB Gear washer
7R3Z-7177-A washer
AR3Z-7107-A ring
AR3Z-7124-AA synchro
7R3Z-7A082-A kit T
Ar3z-7100-AB Gear
8R3z-7230-a Fork
1R3Z-7052-AA Seal AS
7R3Z7052-A Seal
4R3Z-7119-A Washer
7R3Z-7107-a Ring
AR3Z-7A508-A Cylinder

I never went back for the parts list. Took it on a test ride, it was fixed, but kept on going. They said to only bring it back if it was still broken. It does pop out of first gear sometimes, but that's ok as long as I can rip off 1-2 shifts!

redirocrt92

Established Member
How'd this work out with Jim Hudson Ford? Just wondering, since that's where I bought my car from.

They told me to practice shifting and to shift faster. lol. I took them a ride and had it grind but they could not because they were shifting too slow. I contacted Deysha and had a rep call me. The Rep said there is a problem, they are working to fix it, and asked if I could wait until they have a definite fix for it. At least now they're owning up to it.

Imprezv

Established Member
I had the grind problem on my 2011. The first time I took it to the dealership they replaced all my syncros. I took it back about 3 weeks later due to grind coming back. Dealer contacted ford/svt and were given " the fix" as stated above. At this time I also found out my tranny didn't have the carbon syncros for 1 and 2 like it was supposed to have. They installed the fix and the correct syncros and I took delivery. On my drive home I noticed every time I shifted to 4th and let the clutch out it would pop out of gear. I took the car back to ford on the next business day. I just found out ford told them to order me a new transmission from svt, supposedly it is the newest model with all updates and fixes already done. I know the new tranny does have a different part number but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Madeuce

Established Member
Took my '11 in to the dealership again for the 3rd time today. First they replaced parts in the tranny, then they replaced the entire thing and still the same grind.

They are now going to apply a new TSB that is just coming out. They are upgrading the clutch and the shifter and are going to repair anything that is damaged in the transmission.

The dealership and Ford have both been great to work with. I've also contacted Deysha at allford forums.

Hopefully this is the fix that I've been waiting for. Just wanted to pass the word that Ford is releasing a TSB for this specific problem and if you have been waiting for the fix it might be worth looking into now.

Semper Fidelis

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
Took my '11 in to the dealership again for the 3rd time today. First they replaced parts in the tranny, then they replaced the entire thing and still the same grind.

They are now going to apply a new TSB that is just coming out. They are upgrading the clutch and the shifter and are going to repair anything that is damaged in the transmission.

The dealership and Ford have both been great to work with. I've also contacted Deysha at allford forums.

Hopefully this is the fix that I've been waiting for. Just wanted to pass the word that Ford is releasing a TSB for this specific problem and if you have been waiting for the fix it might be worth looking into now.

Semper Fidelis

Is there anyway to get a copy of that TSB?

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member

Semper Fidelis

I see your in colo what dealer did you go to?

Madeuce

Established Member
I go to Columbine Ford in Rifle, CO. Good people there.

From what it sounded like to me the TSB wasn't finished yet. When the service manager tried to look it up he couldn't find anything. It was the rep from Ford that mentioned that it was going to be a specific TSB.

I will ask around again when I go back to pick it up and try to get a solid #.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
i think i had this issue in June '09 in my '10.

I have done nothing about it because no matter what parts you replace its the fact that the 1-2 gearsets are spinning way to fast to shift smoothly @ high engine rpm where we see this issue.

Like trying to throw a hot dog thru a fan on high speed.

Madeuce

Established Member
i think i had this issue in June '09 in my '10.

I have done nothing about it because no matter what parts you replace its the fact that the 1-2 gearsets are spinning way to fast to shift smoothly @ high engine rpm where we see this issue.

Like trying to throw a hot dog thru a fan on high speed.

I have the problem at any RPM with a fast 1-2 shift. Doesn't matter if it's 3,000 or 5,800. All of the other gears smooth as butter at any RPM.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
I don't understand the clutch hydraulic supposition. If it was high RPM shifting where the issue was encountered, wouldn't it also be grinding in other gears at that same high RPM? RPM is RPM and pressure is pressure, right (is it burst related???). Everyone is having trouble with 1-2, nothing else (except for those that haven't yet mastered the long-standing 2-3 Tremec "i am not a muncie" palm shift user error). I'm going to hold what I've got for now, though I do have an engine (movement) limiter coming. I didn't have this trouble with my Challenger and it had the same 6060 tranny. I suspect the boatload of torque this bitch makes. I've noticed that it happens especially coming off a turn vs accelerating from a straightaway. If I grind 1 out of 10 times on a straight launch, I grind 1 out of 2-3 times after turning and accelerating. That doesn't point to anything internal or pressure-related - that's application (and reaction) of torque. If the limiters don't fix it, I may go with motor mounts.

I suspect Tremec is colluding with the aftermarket to see how many ****ing parts we will buy. Still love this car, but sick of this 1-2 bullshit. There are smarter people than me that already know the answer to this. It isn't rocket surgery. Don't make me quit my day job and come fix it for you - I ain't cheap.

Last edited:

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Horrible, horrible spokesperson...literally, not just related to this issue. Embarrassing to listen to in its entirety and I would consider re-training him or firing him immediately upon hearing this were I his boss. Absolutely no passion in his voice, or just a poor spokesperson. That aside, stands to reason there is no solution or they want you just to buy the new version 3.0. Great, but not to the guy who dropped 50 large in July of last year.

Yes, this is actionable. Selling a performance car with a known issues and not disclaiming it, or subsequently remedying it, is problematic for Ford and for '11-'12 owners who have experienced it. So, I'm in on it, is there a class action on these issues as yet?

**edit** I see after viewing again that he is an engineer, which makes more sense with respect to presentation skills. His team designed a helluva car, I'll give him that. Still, cat's outta the bag on the issue.

Last edited:

slowbra1

Established Member
Horrible, horrible spokesperson...literally, not just related to this issue. Embarrassing to listen to in its entirety and I would consider re-training him or firing him immediately upon hearing this were I his boss. Absolutely no passion in his voice, or just a poor spokesperson. That aside, stands to reason there is no solution or they want you just to buy the new version 3.0. Great, but not to the guy who dropped 50 large in July of last year.

Yes, this is actionable. Selling a performance car with a known issues and not disclaiming it, or subsequently remedying it, is problematic for Ford and for '11-'12 owners who have experienced it. So, I'm in on it, is there a class action on these issues as yet?

**edit** I see after viewing again that he is an engineer, which makes more sense with respect to presentation skills. His team designed a helluva car, I'll give him that. Still, cat's outta the bag on the issue.

Ford does need to fix our cars. I wonder what will it take to get it done correctly from Ford

slowbra1

Established Member
Keep working with them.

They have been a real PITA from day one on this issue,even the service manager agreed my car does grind into 2nd.

Yet Ford needs a field engineer to come out and verify an issue that they know is there, then it snowed when the FE was suppose to meet with me.

So I wait.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They have been a real PITA from day one on this issue,even the service manager agreed my car does grind into 2nd.

Yet Ford needs a field engineer to come out and verify an issue that they know is there, then it snowed when the FE was suppose to meet with me.

So I wait.

Well if ford doesn't fix.all those that have a problem can file a claim against ford.

Users who are viewing this thread