2012 GT500 2nd Gear Grinding Issues

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
Correct, kind of like the lady that sued Honda for false mileage claims on the civic. That judgement has likely paved the way for a larger class-action suit.

Well if ford doesn't fix.all those that have a problem can file a claim against ford.

redirocrt92

Established Member
I was told they do not have a fix and asked me to be patient. It looks to me like if the 2013 is fixed, then mine should have been fixed by now as well. I think I am going to take that video and those links to my attorney and see if he can point me in the right direction.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Well if ford doesn't fix.all those that have a problem can file a claim against ford.

Good luck. The 5.0 guys tried that and it got them the big middle finger from NHTSSA/Ford.

The MT82 was the ONLY reason I sold my whippled 5.0. I wont get into a 11+ GT500 or 5.0 untill I have seen enough people not complain about them grinding or there is a TSB posted for the grinding besides Ford switching out the stupid fluid.

-Nick

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Good luck. The 5.0 guys tried that and it got them the big middle finger from NHTSSA/Ford.

The MT82 was the ONLY reason I sold my whippled 5.0. I wont get into a 11+ GT500 or 5.0 untill I have seen enough people not complain about them grinding or there is a TSB posted for the grinding besides Ford switching out the stupid fluid.

-Nick

Actually ford has fixed hudreds of the 5.0s trannys an there are tsb. So it actually helped the 5.0 guys that the nhtssa got involved. Now its time for.the 10-12 gt500 trannys that need the fix.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Correct, kind of like the lady that sued Honda for false mileage claims on the civic. That judgement has likely paved the way for a larger class-action suit.

Yup she did win an Im sure there will be a class action for the rest.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Actually ford has fixed hudreds of the 5.0s trannys an there are tsb. So it actually helped the 5.0 guys that the nhtssa got involved. Now its time for.the 10-12 gt500 trannys that need the fix.

Yes. They have fixed hundreds of them. Tell me how many of them rolled in to the dealership with mods on them??

I rolled in to the dealership with my 5.0 with my whipple installed to have them look at the notchy grinding tranny. They performed the TSB fluid change and tightened the flywheel bolts to spec ONLY because there were TSB's that said they HAD to.

Before I mentioned the TSB, they wanted to charge me to diagnose the issue.

After they performed both TSB's the car shifted EXACTALLY the same way it did befor the TSB's were performed. Ofcourse the dealership said the tranny was A-OK.

2000 miles later, They said they werent willing to replace the tranny because I had a Whipple installed.

Im just trying to show that Ford wont fix everyones MT82. Im sure if my car would have been bone stock, I wouldn't have had any issues with a tranny replacement.

-Nick

SSThunder

Established Member
I've had my 2011 for a week and I've already ran into this issue. I've got lots of warranty left on the car so I'm going to drive it more before taking it into a dealership. I have a bad feeling the ones close to me will just BS me. Hope I'm wrong. Guess I'll hold off modding until the issue is resolved.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
They have been a real PITA from day one on this issue,even the service manager agreed my car does grind into 2nd.

Yet Ford needs a field engineer to come out and verify an issue that they know is there, then it snowed when the FE was suppose to meet with me.

So I wait.

Im in the same situation. The FE came out and I am waiting for a reply from Ford for a fix.

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
MY 2010 did the same thing. Thank God it looks like it's fixed for 2013.

Hope you guys get your's fixed soon.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
My 10 does it. I have it scheduled to be dropped off at the dealer on Monday for that and the rear end whine that is absolutely BRUTAL! The rear sounds like I have a whistle tip in the exhaust...
The Ford engineer in that video admits clearly that there "was" a problem and that it's been addressed in the 13. I guess we'll see.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes. They have fixed hundreds of them. Tell me how many of them rolled in to the dealership with mods on them??

I rolled in to the dealership with my 5.0 with my whipple installed to have them look at the notchy grinding tranny. They performed the TSB fluid change and tightened the flywheel bolts to spec ONLY because there were TSB's that said they HAD to.

Before I mentioned the TSB, they wanted to charge me to diagnose the issue.

After they performed both TSB's the car shifted EXACTALLY the same way it did befor the TSB's were performed. Ofcourse the dealership said the tranny was A-OK.

2000 miles later, They said they werent willing to replace the tranny because I had a Whipple installed.

Im just trying to show that Ford wont fix everyones MT82. Im sure if my car would have been bone stock, I wouldn't have had any issues with a tranny replacement.

-Nick

Sorry to here it was that big of an issue for ya..its a hit an miss on the fix for the modded 5.0. Mostly because ford sent out a tsb related to modding/tunning the 5.0s would void there drive line warrenty. But with the gt500 ford hasnt even had a fix for them which is the biggest issue an almost all the issues our on stock not modded cars.

slowbra1

Established Member
It happens consistently when you apply 70 to 100% throttle in first and then switch to second. If you shift really slow, like waiting for the revs to drop, granny shift, and so on, It shifts just fine. But if you do any shifting remotely faster, It just grinds and will not go into 2nd gear. And only 2nd gear does this.

My car is exactly the same 2012 GT500

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
My car is exactly the same 2012 GT500

Same issue for my 2012 with 2500 miles, has since i hit the 1000 mark. I can speed shift it and force it into 2nd, but if I don't hit it hard, it grinds and rejects the 1-2 shift. It did it before and after my mods.

TTlambo

Established Member
So any word on if the new 2013 tranny has worked or a new fix? This crap sucks mine does same thing and wife makes fun of me saying I just dont know how to shift! Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread