2012 gt500

jsarkis

Established Member
9secondko: Your uneducated post is hard to respond to, sorry.

I think you need to hop over to the paddle shifter, awd, LC, fart can, automatic type cars so you can go fast using ZERO skill and be much more happy.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
9secondko: Your uneducated post is hard to respond to, sorry.

I think you need to hop over to the paddle shifter, awd, LC, fart can, automatic type cars so you can go fast using ZERO skill and be much more happy.
Plus, you can post any kind of crazy on those forums and it will seem normal! :lol:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
It has been on again/off again for 18 months or so, but the latest I saw (as of a cuple days ago) it is still on. They will build that car. There is no reason for them not to.

I suspect the only thing that has been "on again/off again" is the speculation.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
So, I have a 2011 GT500, what's it gonna take to keep up with the Z28 on the street? Traction is my issue, and 1-2 shift problem. I'm talking the street, not strip. My guess is the Z28 will take us no problem off the line on the street, then the 1-2 hampers the GT500 further for some of the unlucky ones. I'm really more worried about the 1-2 problem than traction. Ford should have fixed this crap.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm not worried about the Z28 at all. I hope they build it. Will be something else for the snake to eat. Besides I feel bad always punishing the poor Slomaros and Vettes. The Z28 will help Chevy try and get in the mix. Most can't afford to buy the Slomaro and then supercharge it. But to finance straight out will give more competition. Might even make Ford improve on the GT500 provided the Chevy can even compete

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
1-2 shift reared its head tonight, if I didn't have that I'd feel better about it.

BigDan

Established Member
So, I have a 2011 GT500, what's it gonna take to keep up with the Z28 on the street? Traction is my issue, and 1-2 shift problem. I'm talking the street, not strip. My guess is the Z28 will take us no problem off the line on the street, then the 1-2 hampers the GT500 further for some of the unlucky ones. I'm really more worried about the 1-2 problem than traction. Ford should have fixed this crap.

You're gonna need to swap in a built auto trans and add a TVS supercharger just like the Z/28's kicking our stock butts already have and you should be able to beat them 10 out of 10 times on the street, anything less then that and you risk loosing due to a bad launch or missed shift.

I say this because the heavy Cadilliac CTS-V coupe already beats the 2011 GT500 most of the time you line the two up. The lighter z/28 auto should have no problem beating me at a red light if I don't have my DR's on.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well, this tread claims the 1-2 shift issue has been resolved. I'll find out if my dealer has any clue about this in the morning. If not I'll have to find out what dealer does know.

[ame=http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?p=96428#post96428]1-2 shift grind - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum[/ame]

If it's fact that's one thing down, then traction's next.

I hate auto's, my fix will be 1-2 correction, hopefully, traction, pulley or Whipple

Last edited:

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
nice! ive been hearing something about twin turbo...or something to that effect. i think that would be kickass!

Shelby Code Red, I don't think it will be a Model, maybe a Special Edition, you could probably buy a NICE Ford GT for as mush as it would cost, seeing as it was built by Nelson Racing Engines..

jsarkis

Established Member
this is just bench racing, but edmunds.com list the '11 GT500 as 4.4 secs 0-60 and 12.4 in the 1/4 mile at 116mph.

By contrast, the CTS-V is listed as 3.9 0-60 and 12.2 in the quarter.

some might say well the edmunds driver didn't do it right.

but that's what it is and edmunds is one of the most respected out there.

Not saying the GT500 performance is bad. Just saying it would be nice to see noticeable improvement in 2012. That is the point of this thread.

Whatever you do, DON'T watch this video:
YouTube - Grudge Match: Cadillac CTS-V Coupe vs Shelby GT500

Or read this thread:
Video: CTS-V Coupe vs. The World continues with Shelby GT500 — Autoblog

both are 2011 models and posted what seems to be slower times that they have elsewhere. Here is hoping for 2012.

I wasn't going to comment, because I've made my case many times before, but dude that's such a pathetic display of driving skill on the GT500. Did you see the launch? Have you ever driven a new model GT500? You do realize we don't have LC, paddle shifters, awd or autos in these beasts right? It takes "Practice" and a lot of it to drive these cars fast consistently (guess what sport, most can't do it so they complain, like you). That's why most of us who can drive with skill Love the GT500s or at least respect them. Those that have little driving skill always complain about these cars....blah blah no traction, nose heavy, can't turn. Can't turn: the 10s & 11s are basically at 1g, wtf you talking about? Do you really think your going to push any car over their handling limits on the street pulling 1g+, no way or your an idiot and going to kill someone. My bad your a professional car racer? What ever happened to controlling the clutch and gas pedal to get good launches or adding a few bolt on mods to help? Ahh, it's now clear; you like the "Easy Mode" where you can sit back and mash the loud pedal while texting your BF and still go fast like everyone else. I loved my C6 Z06, which I just sold for my 2010, but I at least only comment on things I know about. Get some knowledge and experience, take your meds then get back with us. Btw I saved almost 20k buying my 10 instead of a new ZO6, I put in about 4-5k in mods and will beat any stock ZO6 in a 1/4, and hang close on a course...my bad you already knew this, your all knowing.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Wow, alot of hostility here in discussing two baddass cars. I can relate to both the GT500 and CTS-V as a CTS-V owner (and a 2004 Cobra owner). I don't own a GT500 but since I'm a Terminator owner, I hang around and race with local GT500 guys alot and there are many similarities (for purposes of this discussion) between the GT500 and Terminator.

- The GT500 and CTS-V gets cross-shopped occasionally, but I doubt it's the norm. They're not meant to compete with each other, but the new Z/28 is meant to.

- There are alot more young CTS-V owners than you think and ALOT of modded ones out there. However, there are also a bunch of older guys driving these cars that will never mod them. The GT500 community is MUCH MORE likely to wrench on their cars.

- For all intents and purposes the cars are a dead heat at the drag strip in stock form. Both manual trans versions are capable of 12 flat @ 119+ mph. However, the auto equipped "V" is much easier to launch and will beat your average GT500 at the track only because it's easier to be consistent with. Very few guys behind the wheel of a GT500 are Evan Smith and even an average driver in an auto-equipped CTS-V can go very low 12's in decent air.

- Both will go much faster when modded and the CTS-V reacts to mods at least as well as the GT500, but the Mustang has a much more robust aftermarket and can easily mod-up to get down to the 9 second zone if they desire. There are numerous mid-10 second CTS-V's out there. The fastest is 10.32 @ 136, but one guy is supposed to be shooting to the 9's shortly (he's been 10.56 best so far), but the car is fairly limited in production and doesn't enjoy as much aftermarket support in some areas. But again, the LSA motor is part of the LSX family and big cube monster motors could be built. I just don't think the average Caddy owner is likely to go that route.

The GT500 will always have more potential if you want to spend the $$$. Lighter, much better aftermarket (twin-screws availability alone is a big advantage), more cars out there, etc. The only real advantage the CTS-V has is the decent automatic it's available with from the factory.

I was racing two weeks ago with one of the faster, lightly modded GT500's on this site (FLYVNE04). My "V" is also lightly modded. We split our two races (each of us winning once), but he was quicker both runs, even on the run he spun slightly (I got the win on a holeshot, his 11.02 to my 11.04). His best slip was .3 quicker than mine that day comparing our best runs. This past Sunday we both had new bests and he was still .2 quicker. However, he could bolt-on a twin-screw and probably open up that advantage to more like a full second in the 1/4 mile and 10 mph. He's just trying to get the most out of his current combo first I believe. The GT500 has more potential for speed, but the Caddy will be a little nicer to live with on a daily basis.

My $0.02.

P.S. - Maybe BJ (FLYVNE04) will find this thread and add his own perspective.

Good post unlike some vette owners who claim they owned a Termy or a GT500 then proceed to bash the Cobra because they think they are an authority while heaping praise on their vettes.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I wasn't going to comment, because I've made my case many times before, but dude that's such a pathetic display of driving skill on the GT500. Did you see the launch? Have you ever driven a new model GT500? You do realize we don't have LC, paddle shifters, awd or autos in these beasts right? It takes "Practice" and a lot of it to drive these cars fast consistently (guess what sport, most can't do it so they complain, like you). That's why most of us who can drive with skill Love the GT500s or at least respect them. Those that have little driving skill always complain about these cars....blah blah no traction, nose heavy, can't turn. Can't turn: the 10s & 11s are basically at 1g, wtf you talking about? Do you really think your going to push any car over their handling limits on the street pulling 1g+, no way or your an idiot and going to kill someone. My bad your a professional car racer? What ever happened to controlling the clutch and gas pedal to get good launches or adding a few bolt on mods to help? Ahh, it's now clear; you like the "Easy Mode" where you can sit back and mash the loud pedal while texting your BF and still go fast like everyone else. I loved my C6 Z06, which I just sold for my 2010, but I at least only comment on things I know about. Get some knowledge and experience, take your meds then get back with us. Btw I saved almost 20k buying my 10 instead of a new ZO6, I put in about 4-5k in mods and will beat any stock ZO6 in a 1/4, and hang close on a course...my bad you already knew this, your all knowing.

I can't wait to get my 2010 on the track this spring. I know with the 2.8 KB I need a drive shaft. But, I owned 99, 01 and 2003 Cobras, all with IRS. I was pulling 1.5x sixty footers in my 2003 and that came from learning to slip the clutch while applying the throttle running my 99 and 01 Cobras. I think I could pull low 1.60's in this 2010 and never break the DS but I do not want to take a chance. The only half shaft I broke on my 2003 with probably over 300 passes on it was when I bought a set of BFG DR's and ran on one of the stickiest tracks in NC, Farmington. It broke when I slammed second unlike most that popped in first. I am very curious what it will run.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Chevy is coming out with a Z28 next year that is built for the sole purpose of trouncing the GT500 (not that the CADILLAC CTS-V isn't doing that already. yes, you heard right. An OLD PEOPLE's car makes a mockery of the GT500). What is Shelby doing? Are they waiting for their name to get smeared on the asphalt? Or has Ford seen enough and decided that Shelby is underperforming and bringing out the Boss as a historical repeat of what happened before?

Yeah, that's the kind of bull shit that has made GM such a big fat loser. Building a blown Camaro just to put the GT500 in second place. Real smart business strategy. They'll lose money to do it.

They better hurry because the clock is ticking on GM. Their star is about to burn out like our Idiot in Chief. It's all smoke and mirrors. Their comeback is built on a foundation of sand. GM is about to be owned by people who eat fish heads.

rdsnk46

Established Member
I just put one of the fastest CTS-V's in the country in check!

Car went 10.50 @ 132 then he added 100 shot. Just prior he had blown his stock motor and rebuilt it so he could beat me.

I ran him on a pump gas tune with 18 psi when I first put the 3.6LC'd on......ran from him badly. He blamed it on his heavy passenger and the fact I didn't have one. He talked about how he was coming for me for months!

I was able to get with Jon Lund while he was in Fl. for some Jack and Coke's. The cars are always secondary........and a C-16 tune w/23 psi I made 100hp more at the tires.

Finally the CTS-V with the new motor, Pulley'd upper and lower with full bolt ons plus his new nitrous kit! We raced!

He was surprised to see I was out from the hit and he was not able to recover.

My GT500 > Most likely "Thee" fastest CTS-V in the world!

BLK93GT

Established Member
What are these CTS-V's running at the track with JUST tires. There are 2010 and 2011 GT500's running LOW 11's at 122-124 with just slicks. There are stock blower GT500's running in the mid 10's as well.

rdsnk46

Established Member
The one I raced went 10.5 with bolt on's! They are the baddest 4 door on road these days! I love them to be honest, I looked at a coupe yesterday!

Users who are viewing this thread