2012 MazdaSpeed3 for a DD?

boatcop1

Established Member
I have been over at mazdaspeedforums doing as much research as I can. I am 24hrs removed from ALMOST pulling the trigger on a 2012 Ford Focus SE to use as a DD. After driving it I realized I still want something that is somewhat fun to drive.

Enter the Mazdaspeed3. Pretty darn quick and fully loaded with every option I can take it off the lot for exactly $5,000 more than the Focus!

Obviously everyone over at MSF is going to say how great they are so I am just looking for some outside opinions. Not that you will sway me either way but maybe some of you have some helpfull insight.

No, I wont mod it! It seems pretty fun just the way it is.

For 5K more it seems like a no brainer. Anyone agree or disagree?

Heres a pic of the car and color for reference. (not actual car)

speed-love-0922.gif

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I never considered one of those, but just bought a '12 WRX Limited and love it. Seems to be a bit more money than the MS3, but you get AWD (which you could probably use in Connecticut). A lot of people compare the two of them and I personally liked the looks and everything else about the WRX. Just food for thought.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
What about the Ford Focus ST? I just checked Fords website and the optional Recaros look comfy.

boatcop1

Established Member
honestly I would drive one as a DD, as long as you get a good deal im ok with this choice

The smiling grill gets you and then when you find yourself smiling back at it you look around to see if anyone seen you. Or maybe that was just me?:dw:

I never considered one of those, but just bought a '12 WRX Limited and love it. Seems to be a bit more money than the MS3, but you get AWD (which you could probably use in Connecticut). A lot of people compare the two of them and I personally liked the looks and everything else about the WRX. Just food for thought.

Believe me I looked at them and I love them too. I test drove a leftover 11 STI yesterday and was in love, I could get that for $33,900 OTD, But th epayment was just a bit too high for me right now. That was the 1st time I drove an STI and I can totaly understand why people love them. Great car.

What about the Ford Focus ST? I just checked Fords website and the optional Recaros look comfy.

Thought about it but I need something now and they are not due until late 2012.

For a D/D I'm looking for something utilitarian (hatch) but still fun to drive and returns somewhat decent fuel mileage (so No SUV's).

My final choices were between

Focus Hatch
GTI
Mazda 3 Hatch
Mazdaspeed3

I'm not 100% in love with the looks but I think I can hand this off to the wife when her lease is up in two years and I'll but a truck or something.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
They are really good cars and I don't think you can go wrong with one. I' drove the 12 Mazda3 hatch and it was a fun, stout car. I'm sure the turbo makes it much more enjoyable plus you have a reliable car, decent MPG and the ability to modify it for some more power.

Adam99L

Established Member
I have one as a DD and its been a great car. It very versatile, quick enough not to be boring, and being a hatchback you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in it. I have 30K on mine and it hasn't had a single problem, and I get about 18-25 mpg depending on how I drive it. Cons to the car are the obvious drawbacks to fwd, and the ride is to harsh for some, just depends on your tolerance of a "sporty" ride.

boatcop1

Established Member
They are really good cars and I don't think you can go wrong with one. I' drove the 12 Mazda3 hatch and it was a fun, stout car. I'm sure the turbo makes it much more enjoyable plus you have a reliable car, decent MPG and the ability to modify it for some more power.

Dont say the "M" word! Thats all they talk about on the MS Forums, Which is fine but I want to keep it stock :rolleyes:

I have one as a DD and its been a great car. It very versatile, quick enough not to be boring, and being a hatchback you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in it. I have 30K on mine and it hasn't had a single problem, and I get about 18-25 mpg depending on how I drive it. Cons to the car are the obvious drawbacks to fwd, and the ride is to harsh for some, just depends on your tolerance of a "sporty" ride.

One of my biggest attractions to the car is how much cargo it can handle. With the seats dropped down you can fit something like 45 cubic feet cargo if needed.

What about the Veloster Turbo?

I already had the 11 Sonata Turbo and my wife drives a 11 Elantra Limited. Hyundai has come a long long way but just not what I'm looking for this go-around.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
One of my biggest attractions to the car is how much cargo it can handle. With the seats dropped down you can fit something like 45 cubic feet cargo if needed.

I really agree. With the seats folded down, I fit a 55" TV in a box laying down flat in the back of my WRX. Couldn't believe it, I thought it would have to be diagonal or out of the box or something.

Also have taken me and two other people skiing/boarding with all our crap in the back and 2 boards and a pair of skis on the roof. Gonna move soon, so I'm betting I'm going to fit all kinds of other crap in there.

Users who are viewing this thread