2013-14 Shelby GT500 Launch Control Controversy!

paluka21

Established Member
Heck I was reading it as he allready had the car.
After reading the OP more carefully, I guess he's just asking the question?

I just can't tell anymore. Whether it was an inquiry to understand the car more, or whether he was speaking hypothetically what "would" happen. Who knows. :cool:

ItsReal

Established Member
No I don’t prefer the launch control at all with this car. It is easier to get better 60’s and a solid launch without bogging with the nannies turned off.
Mode 6; aren’t you referring to the active stability / traction control feature?
Awesome man! Thanks for your input, and mode 6 is the 2 step feature witch allows for you to set your RPM with the clutch pressed in and throttle pinned it will stay at the set rpm you have chosen then once clutch is released you have all the power. At least that's what I've seen from when I've tried it out

ItsReal

Established Member
To be totally honest, I tried the launch control maybe twice after I had some break-in miles on the car. I ordered early & got it in July of '12.
After that, I kinda forgot the car even had it. I usually run in Sport Mode.
When I was playing with launching the car, I soon found with the stock gear, higher RPM & slipping the clutch some was the answer. Get it rolling, the go WOT.
My traction problems were allready eliminated when I received the car because I had 11.75" rear wheels w/Toyo 888 315's ready to bolt on.
For street use, I quit trying to launch the car from a dig. It's just too hard on everything. I'm @675 RWHP with no spin.
But.. A 5MPH roll? I'm ready. And it hooks. 100%.
For street use, even with the tall gear, the car remains unbeaten. That includes a couple of hellcats.
They were both stick cars. One stock, the other I'm not sure.
One thing about "all off". Holding the console button down. All nannies off... You'd better have lotsa room before trying this, no shit. Or you'll have a wrecked Shelby.
Dude I could not agree more about having the room for "all off" thats why im trying to figure out about a certain mode that might fit me untill im ready for all the car. Im around 650 rwhp.

ItsReal

Established Member
You all are helping me greatly and I appreciate all of it. Im just trying to find the right way to go when I finally take my car to the drag strip. If I was not clear about that part Im sorry lol. Im basically going to be taking my car to the strip this year and want to be ready. I currently have line lock installed on the car and my goal is to pull up through the water box (turn everything off) and activate my line lock to do my burnout, turn line lock off, then basically hit the button i believe twice ( ill have to double check) to have my factory 2 step activated with traction control off. This hopefully would allow for me to pin the throttle at the light with clutch in holding it to my set rpm then once I release it would give me full power I believe (if not, close to it). This is all in mode 6 of the track apps from what i can tell.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds good, just don’t drive through water unless you have skinnies up front.
I don’t think I’ve tried just the 2-step/mode 6. Probably best with a bias ply only. I like riding the clutch out with a drag radial anyway, but a bias ply the better choice to get the most from the car.
-J

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Dude I could not agree more about having the room for "all off" thats why im trying to figure out about a certain mode that might fit me untill im ready for all the car. Im around 650 rwhp.

I still keep my car in full-nanny state or sport mode 99% of the time.

Last thing I need is to put my car into a ditch or curb because I got over zealous with the right fkot.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
No idea on your mods, but if you are planning on using the launch control in the manner described I can see a lot of parts being broken. Part of the cost of going as fast as possible with the hp you have in a 4,000 lb car.

Have fun!!!

Tom

Beercules

Established Member
LC gives a consistent 2.3 (?) 60' time.

It doesn't take much to get down to 1.9 without LC. I say get used to not using it at the track. Maybe on the street it might be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread