2013 GT500 restoration (sort of)

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Would be way easier if you just posted them directly into the thread. That way we have a copy in case Imgur goes belly up.
I’ve been trying to direct upload but it either times out or says image too large- what’s the workaround for that since I much prefer that lol

Blkblk13car

Established Member
IMG_6307.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Probably doesn’t help but I’ve been trying to foam and wash the car really well a couple times this week (two bucket with grit guard, different mitts for top and bottom of the car ect).
I’m preparing to claybar and finally polish but am debating whether it’ll be helpful since the amount of chips and scratches will still show.
IMG_6257.JPG

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Probably doesn’t help but I’ve been trying to foam and wash the car really well a couple times this week (two bucket with grit guard, different mitts for top and bottom of the car ect).
I’m preparing to claybar and finally polish but am debating whether it’ll be helpful since the amount of chips and scratches will still show.
View attachment 1551459
Based on the techniques you describe, I don't see why it wouldn't help? Foam and 2-buckets w/grit guards are about the best you can do.

I haven't seen the car close-up, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to polish it. You might be surprised at the number of scratches that will disappear, or at least be largely mitigated. That will give you a better idea of what actually requires paint to fix.

Regardless of the products you choose to use, here's some good info about Caring for Factory Vinyl Stripes.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Based on the techniques you describe, I don't see why it wouldn't help? Foam and 2-buckets w/grit guards are about the best you can do.

I haven't seen the car close-up, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to polish it. You might be surprised at the number of scratches that will disappear, or at least be largely mitigated. That will give you a better idea of what actually requires paint to fix.

Regardless of the products you choose to use, here's some good info about Caring for Factory Vinyl Stripes.

I have my pads and compounds ready and the DA is waiting to spin. I guess I’m worried for the chips possibly catching while polishing. I’m doing healthy amount of painters tape for stripes. Good care article for them thanks.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have my pads and compounds ready and the DA is waiting to spin. I guess I’m worried for the chips possibly catching while polishing. I’m doing healthy amount of painters tape for stripes. Good care article for them thanks.
Got it. Unfortunately, I don't know another way for you to banish all the swirls/scratches possible before going down the paint path.

FWIW, I found that dressing the stripes with Adam's VRT (or something similar) largely eliminates the need to mask them. Obviously, you should still exercise care to minimize stripe encroachment, but a coat of VRT makes cleaning them pretty simple.

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Got it. Unfortunately, I don't know another way for you to banish all the swirls/scratches possible before going down the paint path.

FWIW, I found that dressing the stripes with Adam's VRT (or something similar) largely eliminates the need to mask them. Obviously, you should still exercise care to minimize stripe encroachment, but a coat of VRT makes cleaning them pretty simple.

They’re actually dressed in VRT as we speak, I’m hoping the VRT lessens the amount of stick the tape will have so it only sticks to the paint side at the edge, sort of sealing it without the issue of grabbing the edge come time to peel off.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
They’re actually dressed in VRT as we speak, I’m hoping the VRT lessens the amount of stick the tape will have so it only sticks to the paint side at the edge, sort of sealing it without the issue of grabbing the edge come time to peel off.
Perfect! Note that, after dressing mine, I couldn't get the tape to stick!

Blkblk13car

Established Member
Perfect! Note that, after dressing mine, I couldn't get the tape to stick!
Exactly what I’m hoping! I’ll tape over the strip completely with the paint edges on each side bieng the only places that stick. So it’ll hold the tape fast for the polisher but not ruin my already beat up stripes lol

Blkblk13car

Established Member
So I finally clayed the hood and did a quick two
Step correction to see what i was dealing with. I can see the side of the car that was facing weather since one side of the hood is significantly more beat up than the other but so far I’m happy. Not perfect but it’s got shine now (at least on the hood). Did note some clear coat etching that may be issue down the road- however I have good corrosion so a repaint is likely anyway.
IMG_6415.JPG
IMG_6424.JPG
IMG_6417.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread