2013 Taurus Sho advice, the good the bad, any shouts of despair?

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Was all set on a 5.0 stang, but then I finally got the job Ive been waiting on for a year. It requires ALOT of traveling throughout the midwest all year, so this has me looking at the Taurus Sho.

I still want a quick car, but also something I can drive in the winter time and get relatively good gas mileage. Any reason to not look at the SHO?

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Take a look at the Charger R/T AWD, but a R/T RWD with blazzaks works as well.

The Charger has:
8.4" UConnect Infotainment system -- Best infotainment system on the market. Better then MyFordTouch, CUE, ANYTHING! Very easy to use, has garmin maps
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated And Cooled Seats
Heated and Cooled Cupholders(!)
Rear heated seats
Remote Start
Alcantara/Leather seats that hug you
Bold styling
Harmon Kardon Sound system
Forward Collision Warning
BLIS
Rear Cross Path Detection
Adaptive Cruise Control
Available with a V8 in RWD and AWD.

The SHO doesn't have a V8, nor RWD. It doesn't have as good as a system as the Uconnect. The Charger is available with AWD...and a lietime powertrain warranty.

MPG -- CITY/HWY -- Cruising Range Highway (mi) V6
Taurus SHO -- 17/25 -- 475.00 (PREMIUM REQUIRED) V8
Charger R/T -- 16/25 -- 487.50 NO PREMIUM NEEDED V8
Charger SRT-8 -- 14/23 -- 448.50 (PREMIUM REQUIRED)

Horsepower
Taurus SHO -- 365
Charger R/T -- 370
Charger SRT-8 -- 470

The Charger has more Passenger Volume, Front Shoulder Room, Second Head Room, Second Leg Room, Second Shoulder Room, Second Hip Room, a bigger Wheelbase and the overall length is shorter. The Taurus has a larger trunk then the Charger and marginally more leg room on the front (0.1 of an inch.)

The Taurus SHO is $40,595 compared to the 2013 Dodge Charger 4dr Sdn RT Plus RWD for $35,175. Is the Taurus worth 5k more? I don't think so.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
I do like how the charger looks and would love an AWD V8. My biggest turn away from the charger are my cop friends that say their departments are doing away with the chargers because of rust issues. According to them, the frames on their cop cars(chargers) are rusting through after 2-3 years of winters here. Ive personally seen pretty bad rust issues with their trucks, a couple people I know have the Dodge Sprint, they are completely rusting out after just a few years. So I am a bit leary with a chrysler product. And I wont even bat an eye at a GM product, so thats why Im strictly looking at shos right now. I dont care that its not the fastest car, I wont be doing mods anyway because its going to be a daily driver.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I do like how the charger looks and would love an AWD V8. My biggest turn away from the charger are my cop friends that say their departments are doing away with the chargers because of rust issues. According to them, the frames on their cop cars(chargers) are rusting through after 2-3 years of winters here.

I don't think rust is really as prevalent as you think it is. The police here use Chargers in really bad winters and they seem to be doing fine. The SHOs that I have seen in person all had QC issues. The trim and interior pieces had really poor fit. If you do go with a SHO, make sure you inspect it thoroughly.

Another car to look at is the all new 2015 WRX STi.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
I don't think rust is really as prevalent as you think it is. The police here use Chargers in really bad winters and they seem to be doing fine. The SHOs that I have seen in person all had QC issues. The trim and interior pieces had really poor fit. If you do go with a SHO, make sure you inspect it thoroughly.

Another car to look at is the all new 2015 WRX STi.

I will definitely give the charger a harder look, do a test drive and see what I think. WRX is out of the question, I wanted a bigger car with a luxury/sports feel to it so I can travel in comfort while being able to haul all my cargo. One of the other things I liked about the sho is that its marketed as a family sedan, I dont have the best driving record and want to keep my insurance down as much as possible. Chargers marketed as sports cars do you know?

I suppose I could also take a look at the chrysler 300, they come in AWD.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I will definitely give the charger a harder look, do a test drive and see what I think. WRX is out of the question, I wanted a bigger car with a luxury/sports feel to it so I can travel in comfort while being able to haul all my cargo. One of the other things I liked about the sho is that its marketed as a family sedan, I dont have the best driving record and want to keep my insurance down as much as possible. Chargers marketed as sports cars do you know?

I suppose I could also take a look at the chrysler 300, they come in AWD.

Chargers aren't sports cars lol. Like the SHO, they are both fast family cars with balls.

The 300 is nice as well. AWD 300 would be hard to find, so ordering it is probably the only way to get it the way you want. I know it has a low take rate compared to RWD. Why are you set on AWD? RWD + Blizzaks are the bomb.

Zemedici

Established Member
Coworker had a SHO, he put BOV on it, exhaust, lowering springs and a Livernois tune, and gotta say, car was fun.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
the SHO is a blast. quiet, comfortable and it rolls out for what it is. we have 22k on our 11 SHO, bought it CPO with 4K on it. its been rock solid, gets 28 MPG hwy if you keep it under 75. gets 17-18 around town, and goes through snow like a tank.

i wouldnt buy a new one as all american car take a big hit. for example we got our 11 SHO in late 12 for 30K. it has a sticker of 47k. SELs and rental cars flood the market and it hurts the SHO. but its a fantastic car.

as for it in relation to a HEMI twin, that really all personal taste. the basically have the same features and the SHO is a tick quicker. i work in the auto industry and have spent enough time around chrysler products to never own one. although the current gen of the hemi twins are VASTLY improved over the first gen it seems.

as far as SHOs having issues there aren't any common problems. the key it to maintain them. change the PTU fluid every 30k. go over to ecoboost performance forum for more info.

on the fun side of think a livernois tune is good for mid 12@108-109. add DPs and meth and low 12s@113-115. the 3.5EB is rock solid, and so is the trans. there are SHOs make 430AWHP for 60K with zero issues.

go drive them both, see what you like. in our cars we liked the styling/features more than the 300c. we never considered the charger.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Chargers aren't sports cars lol. Like the SHO, they are both fast family cars with balls.

The 300 is nice as well. AWD 300 would be hard to find, so ordering it is probably the only way to get it the way you want. I know it has a low take rate compared to RWD. Why are you set on AWD? RWD + Blizzaks are the bomb.

Im set on AWD because I live in Minnesota haha, i had snow tires on my truck last year and I had to put that thing in 4wd 20+ times I bet. Last year was absolutely brutal with the cold and the snow and I dont want to be stuck in a RWD vehicle no matter what tires I have on it.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
the SHO is a blast. quiet, comfortable and it rolls out for what it is. we have 22k on our 11 SHO, bought it CPO with 4K on it. its been rock solid, gets 28 MPG hwy if you keep it under 75. gets 17-18 around town, and goes through snow like a tank.

i wouldnt buy a new one as all american car take a big hit. for example we got our 11 SHO in late 12 for 30K. it has a sticker of 47k. SELs and rental cars flood the market and it hurts the SHO. but its a fantastic car.

as for it in relation to a HEMI twin, that really all personal taste. the basically have the same features and the SHO is a tick quicker. i work in the auto industry and have spent enough time around chrysler products to never own one. although the current gen of the hemi twins are VASTLY improved over the first gen it seems.

as far as SHOs having issues there aren't any common problems. the key it to maintain them. change the PTU fluid every 30k. go over to ecoboost performance forum for more info.

on the fun side of think a livernois tune is good for mid 12@108-109. add DPs and meth and low 12s@113-115. the 3.5EB is rock solid, and so is the trans. there are SHOs make 430AWHP for 60K with zero issues.

go drive them both, see what you like. in our cars we liked the styling/features more than the 300c. we never considered the charger.

Thanks for the response. I might give the charger a look, go test drive it and see what I think, the chance of me buying a Dodge is thin but who knows.

If I do get a SHO I will most likely leave it stock so I can have whatever kind of warranty it comes with, or a warranty that I buy. Maintenance is not an issue, I keep everything documented so its like clockwork.

hoofbeat

Established Member
Was all set on a 5.0 stang, but then I finally got the job Ive been waiting on for a year. It requires ALOT of traveling throughout the midwest all year, so this has me looking at the Taurus Sho.

I still want a quick car, but also something I can drive in the winter time and get relatively good gas mileage. Any reason to not look at the SHO?
I have both a 2012 must.GT prem. and a 2010 SHO as my daily driver.(Bought new).The only major option on the SHO was the PP pkg. which i would recommend because of the better brakes and lower gear ratio.The only problem i,ve had with the car was peeling chrome on the rear taillights,fixed under war.I live in Northen In. the snow capt. of In. and the car is great in the winter.Chry. has for years had the worst Quality rep.of any major man. in the US.Weather it has improved since Fiat become part owner is still to be know.Stick with the SHO !

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I really enjoy the 13 SHO! Point and go!

I was unable to leave this platform stock...... You may also have the urge to awaken your car (in 36K miles!), the Livernois tune is a great addition!

Mike

Duncan

Established Member
I have a stock 2010 SHO and just finished driving it 3700 miles to and from Montana (I live north of Dallas) for a Family reunion, and I wasnt uncomfortable once (back and ass massaging seats probably helped a little) ...also saw 30mpg when kept below 75mph (loaded with luggage and two adults and one 13yr old). I havent driven the new Mustangs but I bet its not as comfortable as the SHO.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The show is a good car but it big and heavy and for some reason inside it does not feel that big. I was looking at used ones 2 years ago but would not pay over 30k. For the money I would choose the rwd/awd charger r/t first the sho second. Drive them both and see what you think?

I also like the 09/10 audi s4. You can even find them in a stick. Rowing gears in a fun awd car thats as quick if not faster than the sho? Think 11's at 115+. Granted it will be more to maintain.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Currently 80K miles. Only failures have been the driver a/c vent not staying in place, rear shade got stuck, and peeling chrome taillights. Other than that rock solid. Average mpg shows 23.2 mpg, and it's driven hard. Many, many track outings. Currently with a tune and DP's runs high 12's, non PP. Has a/c and heated front seats, heated rear seat, blis, touchscreeen Nav, etc....I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an SHO to anyone. I can't say the same about my 12 GT500.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member

I still want a quick car, but also something I can drive in the winter ...

I just traded a low mile 5.0 for a SHO, hear 'ya about the Winter driving thing ...

Users who are viewing this thread