2014.5 Ford Mustang Revealed (Jalopnik)

DIB5.0

Established Member
topnotch.jpg

Overboost.

Established Member
Another picture of the EVOS concept with a pony on the grill. Still not the next mustang.

Yep. Getting sick of everyone thinking this is it. Considering they're using S197 body panels on that mule with the new front clip, that should tell you something.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
yay lets make American pony look like something gay. if this is anything like the car will look i hope they give out free gold necklaces with it.

LostPony

Established Member
The SN-95 was the first attempt at retro, and a welcome departure from the box before it. I admit to liking the fox when it first came out in 79, but I was 12. However, even the fox had a longish hood and short rear deck. I think Ford will retain the hood and deck profile, and perhaps some of the sculpting and styling cues that say "Mustang", while still bringing the car "up to date". I certainly don't envy their job when dealing with a car as iconic as the Mustang

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
I also would like to see Shelby's name removed from SVT's Cobra. GT500s were slow as balls back in the day and don't impress anyone with hands on experience with the 60's/70's muscle cars. The Boss 429 was a far superior car to what Shelby could ever dream of producing on the stang platform.

hmm....be careful how hard and fast and loose you sling words. most people i know that actually drove or tried to drive a Boss 429 thought it was a complete failure as an actual car. it was purely an engine homologation project. the car drove like crap. its a cool car and its really cool to have one because of the engine. but the engine as applied to the car didnt work as opposed to the Boss 302 which is a marvelous car to drive.

i also dont know anyone that thought that a 65 GT350 was slow. Yea, the GT500's were blvd cruisers and save for the 67 car they were all built and designed by Ford, not Shelby.

94n2boost

Established Member
I was really hoping Ford would ditch the retro styling. It looks like a new front end stuck on a retro body. Ford really needs to ditch the 60s. Modern muscle car fans are making their own version of the "good old days" we don't need Ford to push old products on us; Very disappointed.

I for one am so glad you speak for so many......:shrug:

I like it.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
I wouldn't say it's really "retro" styling. I mean, it's a Mustang for God's sake. If they were to take all the Mustang styling out of it from years past people would be up in arms it looks nothing like a Mustang. Granted, changes are nice. But it still better have the recognizable lines of a Mustang.

What about the Fox cars. Super loved and awesome they have little to NO "traditional" mustang styling.

I do love they are going a bit euro. IMHO the mustang has got a bit big and heavy.

selftaughtdoc

Established Member
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but for myself... I'll stick with the 99-04 body style with a teksid or terminator setup and supporting mods. A nice build will still be at least 15-20k less than everyone that buys an overpriced new one that the warranty keeps you strapped down from doing practically anything. For the ones buying new ones to keep completely stock, then a new car is still the best option for you.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but for myself... I'll stick with the 99-04 body style with a teksid or terminator setup and supporting mods. A nice build will still be at least 15-20k less than everyone that buys an overpriced new one that the warranty keeps you strapped down from doing practically anything. For the ones buying new ones to keep completely stock, then a new car is still the best option for you.

Good for you. While the new ones still beat the old ones modded.

alivingmustang1

Established Member
The new Mustang is just about the best car going down the road these days. It has that distinct retro style that puts a smile on your face every time you see one. The next Mustang needs to do the same - turning this thing into an Asian/European crap box would kill the Mustang sales and rightfully so. People know what a Mustang is and they love the classic styling of the current one. For all you younger guys that grew up in your parent's Honda and where exposed to the rice burner movement, I guess that's been burned into your DNA. Thankfully some young folks are able to look beyond the fond memories of cheesy body kits, fart pipes, loud stereos and huge spoilers. A classic design is almost always cherished - maybe we should embrace the idea of building all new homes like an Asian-style home? Maybe the Corvette should be scrapped as well - it's only had a slow progressive design since the 1960's. The new Viper that is returning looks like a Viper - is that another big mistake?

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Got an email about the two lucky guys who got to see the 2014.5 Ford Mustang and I'm completely relieved that it's nothing like the Evos concept. Supposed to be available in V8, Ecoboost and 4 cylinder but as this is all just speculation at this point. What do you guys think? Link to article below.

Jalopnik Article

I am a huge fan of this rendering!! hope to see a 5.0 ecoboost in it!

backinastang

Established Member
Got an email about the two lucky guys who got to see the 2014.5 Ford Mustang and I'm completely relieved that it's nothing like the Evos concept. Supposed to be available in V8, Ecoboost and 4 cylinder but as this is all just speculation at this point. What do you guys think? Link to article below.

Jalopnik Article

This would work for me. As for ditching the Retro styling? The 911 is a beautiful car that tweeks a Retro style. The current mustang is beautiful and this rendering would be a nice twist. Remember the 70's models? From 72-78 they sucked. Stay with what works and make it better.

The new Car and Driver pointed out that the 5.8 is probably gone because it won't fit in the smaller chasis. Mustang will run a turbo 4, between the V6 and the 5.0. Rumor is Supercharger days are gone and the GT500 in 2016 will have to use a 5.0 with dual turbos (I love this idea!). I like the big bore short stroke of the 5.0 vs my 5.4 or the new 5.8. Plus turbos are more efficient than S/C. With MPG requirements in the future, I wouldn't doubt if our 2016 GT500 make 600 HP, weigh 3,600 lbs and pull 27 mpg on the freeway.

I think the guy that commented on the car going by COBRA instead of SHELBY is right. Shelby didn't do anything for the car. SVT deserves the credit on our cars. We give Carrol credit for what? He basically took other peoples cars and engines and did a little swapping back in the day. Most of the work was done by his team. He is the most over rated chicken farmer in the world.

As for sales being lower than in the past. Consider all the car options available today. Also, insurance is killing young drivers. THe V6 mustang is still considered a sports car b/c it has 305 hp. Competition is good and keeps car builders trying to out do the other builders. There are a lot of 2 door, 4 seater cars out there that perform well. How long were mustangs owners stuck with a 4.6 V8 that didn't perform well. Now we have a legit car. Even the GT rocks. An IRS and weight reduction will thake this car to a new level.

KEEP THE GOOD FROM THE PAST AND MAKE IT BETTER!

IRS, 5.0 Turbo, 200 lbs lighter is a WIN WIN for me. :beer:

Last edited:

americansteel

Banned
the funny thing is you people are screaming retro and the only thing retro on this car is the roofline that sweeps back like a 64-66 fastback and the c-design on the sides. fthe 2005 to this current platform looks nothing like a 69 and 70 fastback. more like 67 and 68. nothing else is retro about that rendering. ford has not shown anyone what the new mustang will look like outside to the public. the mustang (pony car) should always have a long hood and short deck that is the mustang dna! it could be based off the evos. if anything ford needs stop putting huge rocker panels on the mustangs and less plastic to cover them up. a 6.2l would be real nice.

tbi0904

Established Member
^Engine displacement (in the auto industry as a whole) is getting smaller not bigger. Besides, the poor little 5.0 seems to be doing just fine beating it's larger displacement competition. I'm still reserving judgement until I see what the damn car actually looks like instead of some car mags best guesses.

Users who are viewing this thread