2014 GT M6 vs. Camaro ZL1

Sick03Vert

Banned
GM dealership employee? I'm going to assume a car salesman. In that case, you're no subject matter expert.

*buzzer* WRONG...I'm sorry, would you like to try again?

When it comes to GM OR FORD, I am a certifiable subject matter expert. Just FYI.

You have provided zero facts on why GM is behind, other than

"My 03 cobra is better"

It is.

"My 03 cobra is better"

It is.

Sorry, the newedge golden days are over; Run along now...

Golden days are over huh? That's strange.....

I can't remember just how many of GM's supposed-savior, the 5th Gen Camaro SS, I have kicked around in recent months. Golden days or not, the Camaro is still $40k dollars of overweight turd that can't run with a BONE STOCK '03 Cobra, much less a modded one.

Oh.....but you're the typical GM guy and only want to talk Corvette.

Ok, let's talk Corvette. Sure, on the track in what is basically a full-on race version of the car, they are winning races. And NHRA Ford dragsters have won races for years too. I suppose you think the Toyota Camry used for NASCAR racing is the same as your Moms?:rollseyes

It's like talking to a wall with you guys, and I would expect no less. No point in bothering with facts here.

:fart:

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Golden days are over huh? That's strange.....

I can't remember just how many of GM's supposed-savior, the 5th Gen Camaro SS, I have kicked around in recent months. Golden days or not, the Camaro is still $40k dollars of overweight turd that can't run with a BONE STOCK '03 Cobra, much less a modded one.

Oh.....but you're the typical GM guy and only want to talk Corvette.

Ok, let's talk Corvette. Sure, on the track in what is basically a full-on race version of the car, they are winning races. And NHRA Ford dragsters have won races for years too. I suppose you think the Toyota Camry used for NASCAR racing is the same as your Moms?:rollseyes

It's like talking to a wall with you guys, and I would expect no less. No point in bothering with facts here.

:fart:

I destroyed camaros, vettes, beemers, and terminators in my 94 Cobra. Does that mean the golden days of the old worn out OHV 5.0 are still upon on us? According to your logic it is.

And what do you mean only talk Corvette? You brought up GM, and the Corvette falls under the GM name. But regardless, I’ve brought the numbers to the table with the ZL1, yet someone claims they are cheating (Didn't see that one coming) and you are basically ignoring the fact the ZL1 is a superior car to the 5.0 GT and your ALMIGHTY cobra. I won't even start on the sales of the camaro trumping the mustang sales... Sounds like a "savior" to me. Sorry man, I hate to break it to you but your cobra is indeed a legacy but no doubt a legend; it will always be a milestone in the mustang line up...But like all legends, it's over now. The terminator has and will fall in the hands of ignorant teenagers and post Honda fan boys who will bring on the same attitude you have, who refuse to accept their place on the food chain.

“NO point in bothering with facts here”

Your most truthful statement

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Sorry, that was on slicks, I could guarantee it. GM has been KNOWN to send text cars at the time of their release with slicks. I'm sure they make slicks in that size.

No, it's called Magnetic Selective Ride Control. Same suspension that's on the ZR1

Sick03Vert

Banned
I destroyed camaros, vettes, beemers, and terminators in my 94 Cobra. Does that mean the golden days of the old worn out OHV 5.0 are still upon on us? According to your logic it is.

And what do you mean only talk Corvette? You brought up GM, and the Corvette falls under the GM name. But regardless, I’ve brought the numbers to the table with the ZL1, yet someone claims they are cheating (Didn't see that one coming) and you are basically ignoring the fact the ZL1 is a superior car to the 5.0 GT and your ALMIGHTY cobra. I won't even start on the sales of the camaro trumping the mustang sales... Sounds like a "savior" to me. Sorry man, I hate to break it to you but your cobra is indeed a legacy but no doubt a legend; it will always be a milestone in the mustang line up...But like all legends, it's over now. The terminator has and will fall in the hands of ignorant teenagers and post Honda fan boys who will bring on the same attitude you have, who refuse to accept their place on the food chain.

“NO point in bothering with facts here”

Your most truthful statement

You really don't get it, do you?

I'm not surprised.

Yep, the ZL1 is the superior car to the 5.0 and the Cobra. You are 200% correct.

Man, you know what's hard to believe though? Well..it's not really a big deal..ok..it kinda is, but.....a member here beat a fully built ZL1 on spray with a mere supercharged 5.0....low psi BTW.

I personally can't find a ZL1 owner with any sort of balls (not surprised) who will run my Cobra. Why is that? I mean, you're saying my car is an old, slow POS who's days are over and that is better off staying on the porch. Why, then, the FEAR of running?

And why is the internet overflowing with videos of ZL1's getting munched by everything under the sun? I mean, the '14 GT500 can't even hang with it...but how come the tapes say otherwise? I guess that's not "facts" to you.

Even hardcore GM fans have admitted the thing is a flop and GM overpromised and underdelivered. Only the completely close-minded fanboys are left to cheerlead the thing. Oh....wait a minute. That'd be you.

Tell you what...I'll make a special effort to find me a ZL1 to run this weekend. I doubt I will, as I have said before, I've only seen 2 or 3 on the street here. I'll try to talk him into driving to Mexico, which isn't that far from here, and doing a couple roll races. Unfortunately, they aren't big on road courses in Mexico, so the almighty ZL1 will have to find the balls in the straight...but that should be easy right? I mean, my car is old, and slow like you said? Couldn't POSSIBLY hold a candle to that car. :rollseyes

If anyone is using ricer logic here, its you. Of course the Camaro sales are up, they didn't make the car for years. That creates a lot of pent-up demand. Basic economics.

Feel free to bury your head in the sand and say the ZL1 is great regardless of what real-world results have shown. It's easier to live in your own fantasy world than accept the truth kiddo.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
GM dealership employee? I'm going to assume a car salesman. In that case, you're no subject matter expert.

You have provided zero facts on why GM is behind, other than

"My 03 cobra is better"

"My 03 cobra is better"

Sorry, the newedge golden days are over; Run along now...

Agree the golden days are over but it is not like cars today are running on flux capicitors now?

Still internal combustible engines.. some models still with push-rods
---aahemm---that will remain nameless

A cobra is still a very potent platform...I still have respect for C5Z's as well and they were last made in 2004(?)

I think Chevy realized the track prowess of the ZL1 didn't translate into sales...maybe the Z28 will be great at the track and dragstrip?

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
You really don't get it, do you?

I'm not surprised.

Yep, the ZL1 is the superior car to the 5.0 and the Cobra. You are 200% correct.

Man, you know what's hard to believe though? Well..it's not really a big deal..ok..it kinda is, but.....a member here beat a fully built ZL1 on spray with a mere supercharged 5.0....low psi BTW.

I personally can't find a ZL1 owner with any sort of balls (not surprised) who will run my Cobra. Why is that? I mean, you're saying my car is an old, slow POS who's days are over and that is better off staying on the porch. Why, then, the FEAR of running?

And why is the internet overflowing with videos of ZL1's getting munched by everything under the sun? I mean, the '14 GT500 can't even hang with it...but how come the tapes say otherwise? I guess that's not "facts" to you.

Even hardcore GM fans have admitted the thing is a flop and GM overpromised and underdelivered. Only the completely close-minded fanboys are left to cheerlead the thing. Oh....wait a minute. That'd be you.

Tell you what...I'll make a special effort to find me a ZL1 to run this weekend. I doubt I will, as I have said before, I've only seen 2 or 3 on the street here. I'll try to talk him into driving to Mexico, which isn't that far from here, and doing a couple roll races. Unfortunately, they aren't big on road courses in Mexico, so the almighty ZL1 will have to find the balls in the straight...but that should be easy right? I mean, my car is old, and slow like you said? Couldn't POSSIBLY hold a candle to that car. :rollseyes

If anyone is using ricer logic here, its you. Of course the Camaro sales are up, they didn't make the car for years. That creates a lot of pent-up demand. Basic economics.

Feel free to bury your head in the sand and say the ZL1 is great regardless of what real-world results have shown. It's easier to live in your own fantasy world than accept the truth kiddo.

All I got from this was "Well on YOUTUBE" "Well this ONE guy" with ZERO regards to the numerous variables involved in any of those races. And just because no one wants to race doesn’t mean they are scared. It’s more than likely; they don't feel like dealing with a kid with a 16 year old "My car is badass bro", mentality. Considering most ZL1 owners are middle aged men who can afford a 6-900 dollar car payment, I don’t blame them. You're the same reason I separate myself from the mustang crowd. People just like you, with egos bigger than the 4.6 liter under your vented hood that thinks their shit doesn't stink and all cars are inferior is the reason I stick around the older crowd. You're a few years late with that mentality BTW. Oh, I never said a Cobra is a POS; reading comprehension is your friend. I said it was a milestone, do you know what that means?
Your exact mentality is the definition of ricer logic and the people you surround yourself with at the car meets are probably exactly the same, so it's understandable why you don't understand it. Go beat off to your "TERMINATOR". I bet you call your car the Model 101 or some corny shit like that.

PS: Simple economics would have made sense in 2009-2011... not the following years after.

Agree the golden days are over but it is not like cars today are running on flux capicitors now?

Still internal combustible engines.. some models still with push-rods
---aahemm---that will remain nameless

A cobra is still a very potent platform...I still have respect for C5Z's as well and they were last made in 2004(?)

I think Chevy realized the track prowess of the ZL1 didn't translate into sales...maybe the Z28 will be great at the track and dragstrip?

No you're right, but as technology advances we are starting to see major changes in engine size and even hyrbid setups. I think some people underestimate the pushrod engine considering it's used in the NASCAR and NHRA series. But I know what you mean. Cobras are highly respectable and I don't mean to take anything away from them while arguing with "Super duper Terminatorrrrrrrrrr SSSSNAKKKKE" kid up here.

As far as the z28, it'll be a performer and I almost considered getting it over a GT500, but after I heard the price rumors, I backed out... Not paying 70k for a stripped out camaro with an LS7; I'll just get a z06.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
All I got from this was "Well on YOUTUBE" "Well this ONE guy" with ZERO regards to the numerous variables involved in any of those races. And just because no one wants to race doesn’t mean they are scared. It’s more than likely; they don't feel like dealing with a kid with a 16 year old "My car is badass bro", mentality. Considering most ZL1 owners are middle aged men who can afford a 6-900 dollar car payment, I don’t blame them. You're the same reason I separate myself from the mustang crowd. People just like you, with egos bigger than the 4.6 liter under your vented hood that thinks their shit doesn't stink and all cars are inferior is the reason I stick around the older crowd. You're a few years late with that mentality BTW. Oh, I never said a Cobra is a POS; reading comprehension is your friend. I said it was a milestone, do you know what that means?
Your exact mentality is the definition of ricer logic and the people you surround yourself with at the car meets are probably exactly the same, so it's understandable why you don't understand it. Go beat off to your "TERMINATOR". I bet you call your car the Model 101 or some corny shit like that.

PS: Simple economics would have made sense in 2009-2011... not the following years after.

LOL WOW. So now I'm a broke kid? :D

FYI, I don't call my Cobra a "Model 101" or whatever. I call it the Chevy Killer. Because that's what it is. :rockon:

I'm 32...so if I'm a young, stupid teenager to you, you must be pushing mid-60's. If you're happier hanging around the Ben-Gay crowd and fantasizing over the C7 because it "Reminds me of my Stingray from back in the day", more power to you.

I love your assumptions about me, especially when so far, you're batting a zero average. :lol1::lol1:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Anything can happen on the street so nice kill OP BUT seeing the weight difference and seeing as most people with any performance car are average drivers and the OP "could" have had the driver mod I can see a tie happening. Tune only coyotes "usually" run low 12's @115ish mph.

This 5bro was stock so if the GT had the driver mod and the ZL1 was heatsoaked with a "average" driver then this is possible.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member

FYI, I don't call my Cobra a "Model 101" or whatever. I call it the Chevy Killer. Because that's what it is. :rockon:

I'm 32...so if I'm a young, stupid teenager to you, you must be pushing mid-60's. If you're happier hanging around the Ben-Gay crowd and fantasizing over the C7 because it "Reminds me of my Stingray from back in the day", more power to you.

I love your assumptions about me, especially when so far, you're batting a zero average. :lol1::lol1:

Assumptions? Seems you assumed I thought you were a broke kid. But damn you could have fooled me. Oh btw, I'm 26 and I've met 18 yr olds with less ignorance than you several folds. And yea I'll stick with the older crowd, more humble and they make the scene fun..... Bro do you even nawzzz?

Sick03Vert

Banned
Assumptions? Seems you assumed I thought you were a broke kid. But damn you could have fooled me. Oh btw, I'm 26 and I've met 18 yr olds with less ignorance than you several folds. And yea I'll stick with the older crowd, more humble and they make the scene fun..... Bro do you even nawzzz?

chuck-headshake.gif

Laloosh

Established Member
So much hate in this thread.

My 5.0 ran 11.7 on stock tires at 121. The car was good for 119-121 depending on the track. My last street race with that car just happened to be against a zl1 with headers and no tune. I was on drag radials and from a 20 roll he just spun and never caught me. From a 60 roll I got the initial jump of barely a car, by 140 we were dead even and after that he started to pull ahead. By 155 I was down a car. A bone stock 5.0 will not hang with a zl1 with equal drivers, its just not happening. Btw I traded my 5.0 for a 1le and here is my comparrison....take it for what is worth.

Price: The Mustang is cheaper. I got my 5.0 for 35ish which included everything but the glass roof/brembos/navigation. I got my 1le for 37ish and it is the 1ss with npp/rs. If you were to option out both cars equally the Mustang will always be cheaper.

Gas Mileage: The Mustang gets better gas mileage. Not much more to say here.

Straight Line Power: I took the 1le to the track with temp tags on a shitty night where I just did nothing but spin and it went 13.1 @ 110. ONn a nice night with more experience and a car that is not breaking it I can see this thing going 12.7ish at 111. Mustang "felt" quicker and snappier. However feelings should be left for your wife or girfriend. My Mustang went 12.64 @ 111.9 bone stock, full weight.

Handeling: There is no contest here. The 1le destorys the Mustang in every regard here. The tires are better, the suspension actually controls the car. The mustang was "floaty" and liked to wander around and step out at low limits. It was fun, but at the same time I always went into a turn with a quick turn in and then in the back of my head I wondered what will happen next. There was no point and shoot in that car, it was more like point and pray/react. The ride for casual Sunday strolls was better in the Mustang. It was softer, the 1le is a very stiff/solid car compared to 5.0.

Driveline: Overall I am giving the edge to the 1le here. Alhough the Mustang feels quicker, it also clunked, popped, wheel hopped, and did some wierd things. The 1le has more initial tq and feels smoother through the revs (this might be why it feels slower). There is no slop, no hop, no wierd clunks or pops. However the 1le has clutch chatter like crazy compared to the Mustang. When I first got the car and pulled out I pulled over and checked the oil because I though it was low based on chattering/spinning noises I heard at low rpm. It all seems to go away around 3k, however thats when the exhaust takes over and the car sounds glorious. The clutch on the Mustang felt better as well. The 1le clutch is VERY soft and catches very HIGH. The transmission in the Mustang felt smoother, with shorter/closer throws. My 1le tranny is stiffer and you can feel each gear going through the syncro. In the mustang the gears just poped/fell in with no effort.

Fit and Finish: I don't think there could be a clear winner here as it is based on opinoin. Both cars have plastic, both cars are American. The body panels line up, the interiors are both "Eh' imo. If I had to pic a winner here I would lean towards the camaro only because of the MyLink screen. If MyLink wasnt avaiable I would lean towards the Mustang.

Looks: Once again, personally opinion, but the 1le loooks more agressive, some people like that others don't want the added attention. I am 30 years old and the kid inside me giggles everytime I drive it and look at it. However I am glad this is not my daily driver as I would never take this car to a business meeting or any type of "serious" gathering. It is a little too "hey look at me" if you know what I mean.

Overall: If you are looking for a daily driver, the mustang is the way to go. If you are looking for a straight line car, the mustang is the way to go, but be prepared to spend some serious money after your basic bolt ons. I ended up going 11s at 121 with very basic bolts on the factory tires. If you are looking for a weekend toy, road course/autox type car, the 1le is by far the better choice.

For me this car will not be a daily driver, it will be a weekend car with occasional track use. No real serious plans for it, just going to enjoy it and modify later down the road.

5.0jake

Established Member
So much hate in this thread.

My 5.0 ran 11.7 on stock tires at 121. The car was good for 119-121 depending on the track. My last street race with that car just happened to be against a zl1 with headers and no tune. I was on drag radials and from a 20 roll he just spun and never caught me. From a 60 roll I got the initial jump of barely a car, by 140 we were dead even and after that he started to pull ahead. By 155 I was down a car.

The ZL1 is defintely faster but sad for how much money it is that it can only edge out a bolt on 5.0...

Overall: If you are looking for a daily driver, the mustang is the way to go. If you are looking for a straight line car, the mustang is the way to go, but be prepared to spend some serious money after your basic bolt ons. I ended up going 11s at 121 with very basic bolts on the factory tires. If you are looking for a weekend toy, road course/autox type car, the 1le is by far the better choice.

For me this car will not be a daily driver, it will be a weekend car with occasional track use. No real serious plans for it, just going to enjoy it and modify later down the road.

Great and honest review. The 1LE is very nice congrats! It's the only camaro currently available I'd ever consider. My father has a 12' SS L99, it rides nice but it's quite the turd lol.:bored:

Last edited:

BLAKE 01 WS6

Established Member

The Chevy killer lmao, you must not get around the streets of Houston much! Especially still running the stock heaton!

Sick03Vert

Banned
The Chevy killer lmao, you must not get around the streets of Houston much! Especially still running the stock heaton!

:lol1:

Yeah, because every Chevy around here is putting out 1800HP. Just look at the vids...you know, the ones where they blame losing on a bad clutch or on having a passenger. ;-)

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
That will really help with all of those road course street encounters...

I know, right?

Nothing makes me giggle more seeing 1LE owners brag about how bad ass their cars are around a track, knowing that 95% of them haven't and never will step foot on a road course.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I know, right?

Nothing makes me giggle more seeing 1LE owners brag about how bad ass their cars are around a track, knowing that 95% of them haven't and never will step foot on a road course.

^ this! I get this from a few chevynut swingers. More like 99.8% though.

SD_Stang

Established Member
Then they run across Base Model Brembo cars with Griggs/CorteX suspension mustangs and get lapped and go I thought I had a track car. They don't know what a track car is or what it takes to build one the 1LE is still heavier by a good 200lbs than a base GT. Track straight line the Mustang has it covered.

In regards to the thread the sad thing is the ZL1 with only a .03 difference vs a stock for stock comparision it's a drivers race end of story.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Bench racing at its finest. In stock form, the GT500 should have no problem pulling on a ZL1 on the street. Just because the GT500 is faster stock doesn't mean the ZL1 isn't a good performing car though. At a track where handling comes in, the GT500 can't touch it in the corners.

It's definitely not a "flop". I know of several around me that are running really good and throwing down some good times in the 1/4 mile.

A friend has a full bolt-on (with pulley), ported blower, and small cam runnin 93 octane and it walked my C6 Z and would have probably beaten my old C5 Z that had a h/c/I/100 shot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread