• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

2014 GT500 at Carolina Motorsports Park - HPDE

Discussion in 'The SVTP Video Forum' started by Hokie D, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Hokie D

Hokie D New Member Established Member

Second HPDE at Carolina Motorsports Park with the Carolina Regional Mustang Club.

This was the last session of the weekend in C group. Came in a little too hot at the Carousel, took a bad angle, and/or didn't turn wheel enough...?? Not entirely sure what I did wrong, just knew I was going out to the edge of track too far.

Oh, I was running OEM pads and by the end of Sunday's sessions I had some really bad front rotor vibrations. I think it's just OEM pad build-up on the rotors and can be machined off. Either way, will use racing pads next time.

2. 98 Saleen Cobra

98 Saleen Cobra Authorized Vendor Authorized Vendor

It legit looked like you didn't turn the wheel at all lol.

3. wheelhopper

wheelhopper Active Member Established Member

Come out to VIR for the weekend of Nov 11. SVT Cobra Club is running a 2 day event out there. VIR is a much better track. I'd be glad to instruct. I've been in many GT500s with this club.

You definitely need some better pads. At least Hawk HP+. I wouldn't worry about turning those rotors. Just go to Advance auto and get some new ones. They'll hold up just fine. Bleed the brakes also. The downfall of the GT500 is that it is so heavy it is hard on brake parts. Some coolant ducts will help a lot also.

4. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

I love CMP, but man is that track ever rough on tires and brakes.

5. Hokie D

Yea, maybe I didn't look far enough thru the turn and misjudged it. I do remember I didn't tap the brakes like I normally do before making that turn. I thought the video would help me figure out what I did, but it just raises more questions, lol.

I do want to try VIR...probably in the spring I'll sign up for SVT Superfest. Can't do any more track events the rest of this year.

Oh yea, CMP kills the tires. Mine are shredded up pretty good. I'm thinking some NT01s on the 9.5" OEM rims...285/35R19 on the front, 285/35R20 on the back before the next track event.

6. Hokie D

Oh, and forgot to mention. I only have 9800 miles on the car. So my OEM rotors should still be salvageable.

7. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

In my experience there, one good weekend will kill a set of tires.