2014 GT500 issue accelerating from stop

Carson45

Established Member
Hello,

I’m trying to see what people think about an issue I’m having. To begin, my car has a McLeod RXT clutch. When I’m starting from a stop I’m getting some chatter or bad vibration until about 10 miles per hour. After the car is going, there is not issues what so ever. I’m not sure if it the rear end or the clutch or something else. Someone else I asked said clutch chatter and give it more gas starting out. I think I would have to be very aggressive starting out ever time to maybe avoid it. Looking for some insight if anyone has had this issue.

MG0h3

Established Member
If it’s clutch chatter, it should go away as soon as the clutch is fully engaged.

Twin discs are more likely to chatter if you don’t get it out right. Also more likely when new.

I’ve never heard of chatter once the clutch is fully engaged.

How many miles on it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Carson45

Established Member
If it’s clutch chatter, it should go away as soon as the clutch is fully engaged.

Twin discs are more likely to chatter if you don’t get it out right. Also more likely when new.

I’ve never heard of chatter once the clutch is fully engaged.

How many miles on it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

This could be inexperience on my end, I really don’t have much experience driving a car like this. But I do want to make sure there’s nothing wrong with it.

The previous owner said the clutch has around 2000 miles on it. By full engaged do you mean pressed in or all the way out? When it starts to do it I press it in and keep letting out to try to get past the 10 mile an hour to when it clears up. Once going over 10mph the car is completely fine.

HKusp

Established Member
A known issue with an RXT and taing off from a stop. Give it a few hundred more RPM than what you think it should need and it will smoothe right out.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
* Possible Driveline shudder — occurs during acceleration from a slow speed or stop. (Shudder is low-frequency vibration)

Possible sources for this issue:

• Incorrect transmission crossmember orientation
  • Center bearing spacer missing or incorrectly installed
  • Drive axle assembly mispositioned
  • Loose axle bolts
  • Driveline angles out of specification
  • U-joints binding or seized
  • Binding or damaged driveshaft CV joint

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
A known issue with an RXT and taing off from a stop. Give it a few hundred more RPM than what you think it should need and it will smoothe right out.
Yeah, this right here. I had the same clutch. It was difficult to get used to. Honestly I went back to a stock clutch in mine. Turns out when my clutch was made new it must have been a Friday. Only one disc was engaging and disengaged. So one was good, and the other wasn’t so good. Created tough launches and such.

MG0h3

Established Member
This could be inexperience on my end, I really don’t have much experience driving a car like this. But I do want to make sure there’s nothing wrong with it.

The previous owner said the clutch has around 2000 miles on it. By full engaged do you mean pressed in or all the way out? When it starts to do it I press it in and keep letting out to try to get past the 10 mile an hour to when it clears up. Once going over 10mph the car is completely fine.

Fella below answered.

You can idle along with the clutch out at just a couple miles per hour, so if you accelerate from there it chatters or no?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Carson45

Established Member
Fella below answered.

You can idle along with the clutch out at just a couple miles per hour, so if you accelerate from there it chatters or no?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I will have to try that. So get going slow and get the clutch fully out and accelerate from there and see what it does. If it does or doesn’t chatter what does that mean?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
If the clutch is engaged (clutch pedal off the floor and you aren't stepping on it) driving slow, and you get vibrations it means you have a drivetrain issue. If it's smooth:

and only happens with you engaging the clutch (you lifting your foot and pedal off the floor) then it is clutch chatter. Could need more break in as it's not how many miles you drive but how many starts from a stop you do that seats the disks. Could be 2000 miles isn't enough engagements.

I had a performance clutch on one of my cars and chattered for years. It held power and hard launches, but wasn't good for daily driving. Using reverse when backing up was worse than starting in 1st gear. Is this your first stick car?

Last edited:

Carson45

Established Member
If the clutch is engaged (clutch pedal off the floor and you aren't stepping on it) driving slow, and you get vibrations it means you have a drivetrain issue. If it's smooth:

and only happens with you engaging the clutch (you lifting your foot and pedal off the floor) then it is clutch chatter. Could need more break in as it's not how many miles you drive but how many starts from a stop you do that seats the disks. Could be 2000 miles isn't enough engagements.

I had a performance clutch on one of my cars and chattered for years. It held power and hard launches, but wasn't good for daily driving. Using reverse when backing up was worse than starting in 1st gear.

Is this your first stick car?
I’ve had a bunch of stick cars with my last car being a built 04 cobra. Never had an issue driving it at all. I will try to get the car out tomorrow and test that out.

Carson45

Established Member
I went and took it out this morning. With the car moving very slow with the clutch fully engaged there is no issue with the car. The car was actually alot better this morning, but on my last complete stop it did did its chatter/clunkly, vibrating again. I was recording while driving this morning, won't be able to see much but maybe hear it. Ill share a link as soon as youtube has it uploaded.

Carson45

Established Member
Heres a video of my drive this morning. It was way better today for some reason, possibly because its about 30 degrees warmer. To skip most of the drive go to 8:20 on the video to see it do its chatter/vibration. It could be just a user error since it was fine the whole ride.

HKusp

Established Member
That's clutch chatter from the RXT due to way too low rom starting off. Do what I said, and it'll be smooth. A couple hundred more rpm than what you're accustomed to.

Carson45

Established Member
That's clutch chatter from the RXT due to way too low rom starting off. Do what I said, and it'll be smooth. A couple hundred more rpm than what you're accustomed to.

Yeah I believe you are right. It was fine the whole ride + it being warmer today. I def kind of babied it turning onto my street that last stop. Thanks for the input.

Imatk

Established Member
Had an RXT... hated it for this exact reason. Been driving a stick for decades... it's just a terrible clutch from my experience.

Put in a stock 2013/14 clutch smooth as butter. Would never go back to an RXT

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Nothing but good from my RXT.
As with all aftermarket parts, you'll get 6 horror stories one way 1/2 a dozen the other.

I do have to release the clutch at a slightly higher rpm than normal, by that I mean 500rpm out of 1st gear. Clutch is silent

Users who are viewing this thread