2014 Shelby GT500 Blower on 2003 Cobra

carguy96

Established Member
So I may have the opportunity to purchase a OEM 2014 Shelby GT500 supercharger. Does anyone have information on what I would need for the conversion? Not too many results popped up on the internet so I figured someone here may know.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Cobra engineering makes an adapter plate but you’re probably going to hear you should buy a vmp tvs instead of that blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carguy96

Established Member
Cobra engineering makes an adapter plate but you’re probably going to hear you should buy a vmp tvs instead of that blower.

Yeah I am sure I’m going to hear that. Isn’t this blower essentially a TVS though, just a little different and won’t make quite as much power?
And also, these blowers are a good bit cheaper.
And I have looked at that kit. I wanted to see if I could pretty much slap the whole blower on instead of using that smaller housing.

Last edited:

zredfire04

Established Member
uhh...since vmp discontinued the 2.3l blower, the next best thing IS the 2013-14 oem blower since it is a 2.3l tvs.

i don't know how the inlets compare. other than the inlet being on the wrong side, it's real close to being the same blower.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Cobra engineering kit, going to need the cai for that blower, relocate your battery since it’s on the wrong side. Not sure if that blower needs milling to fit like the m122 does. I’d buy a used 2.3 Whipple and call it a day.

GodStang

Established Member
Cobra Engineering LLC

Here is a link to the Cobra Engineering adaption plate that people were mentioning. James would be the best one to talk to. There are better routes but to some people they like saying they have a GT500 blower.

carguy96

Established Member
Cobra engineering kit, going to need the cai for that blower, relocate your battery since it’s on the wrong side. Not sure if that blower needs milling to fit like the m122 does. I’d buy a used 2.3 Whipple and call it a day.
Yeah, for all the work I might as well just get a 2.3 Whipple.
Thanks for the advice.

carguy96

Established Member
Cobra Engineering LLC

Here is a link to the Cobra Engineering adaption plate that people were mentioning. James would be the best one to talk to. There are better routes but to some people they like saying they have a GT500 blower.

It doesn’t have to be a “GT500” blower. I need/want a different blower, because I believe my eaton is due for some work.
I’ll probably just end up getting a Whipple.
Thanks for your input.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
It doesn’t have to be a “GT500” blower. I need/want a different blower, because I believe my eaton is due for some work.
I’ll probably just end up getting a Whipple.
Thanks for your input.

If you want a new blower that's one thing. However you can "Freshen" up your Eaton if you think that's what it needs. It's not hard. I pulled mine apart, cleaned it up, had the outside powder coated, put fresh grease on the rear rotor bearings, replaced the coupler, reassembled it and then finally put new supercharger oil in it. Works like new and really didn't cost that much.

Just something to consider.

carguy96

Established Member
If you want a new blower that's one thing. However you can "Freshen" up your Eaton if you think that's what it needs. It's not hard. I pulled mine apart, cleaned it up, had the outside powder coated, put fresh grease on the rear rotor bearings, replaced the coupler, reassembled it and then finally put new supercharger oil in it. Works like new and really didn't cost that much.

Just something to consider.

Yeah I’m not sure what it needs at the moment, but when I got my car dyno tuned my tuner didn’t like the way it was sounding and said it should be rebuilt or replaced in the not too distant future.
I’ll look into the rebuild kit option then. Going to weigh my options because a friend is going TT on his termi and if so, I’d get a pretty good deal on his blower/TB.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Yeah I’m not sure what it needs at the moment, but when I got my car dyno tuned my tuner didn’t like the way it was sounding and said it should be rebuilt or replaced in the not too distant future.
I’ll look into the rebuild kit option then. Going to weigh my options because a friend is going TT on his termi and if so, I’d get a pretty good deal on his blower/TB.

Yeah, I didn't rebuild mine. Just a freshen up. If your bearings need to be replaced or you need new rotors you may need to have a pro do it. Those rear rotor bearings look like they would be a pain to get out if you don't have the proper tools for removal and re-installation.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seems that your decision is going to be to go with a used 2.3 Whipple. IMO that's the smartest choice. You'll get a lot more power out of the Whipple than even a ported Eaton. I think you'll be very happy with the Whipple.

carguy96

Established Member
Keep an eye out for a used 2.3 vmp, it’s a better blower for a few reasons. Still can’t go wrong with a whipple, it’s prettier too

I’ll keep my eye out. I want to do things “the right way” with my car, but I unfortunately do not have an unlimited budget on this car.

cj428mach

Established Member
I’ll keep my eye out. I want to do things “the right way” with my car, but I unfortunately do not have an unlimited budget on this car.
The right way definitely is not a gt500 blower. Buy a terminator blower.

Last edited:

carguy96

Established Member
Seems that your decision is going to be to go with a used 2.3 Whipple. IMO that's the smartest choice. You'll get a lot more power out of the Whipple than even a ported Eaton. I think you'll be very happy with the Whipple.

Yes, that is a very likely option as the 2.3 Whipple blowers seem to be priced pretty well now and make good power.
And I’m well aware of the power gains! My Eaton is ported and is pretty much maxed out running at 16psi (peak). A Whipple (or another blower) would be a nice option as everyone says.
Is there a reason I don’t hear too many people talking about the smaller KB blowers?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm hesitant on used blowers unless you know the person selling it and/or it can be fully inspected before purchase. So many cheats out there selling a bag of crap, might put you right back in the same boat of needing a rebuild.

Seems like vendors have deals on a new 2.3 all the time. Regardless...Get the whipple high boost coupler and install. And do not run those snub idlers that are notorious for causing premature bearing failure, get the adjustable unit from whipple direct.

Users who are viewing this thread