2014 Shleby GT500 - Personal Review....

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
All,

I wanted to pass on some of my personal review of my 2014 Shelby GT500.

1) Seems "docile" for 662 HP and 631 TQ.
2) The 3.31 gears make for way less shifting.
3) Paint is WAY better than on my 2011 Shelby GT500.
4) I can powershift again..some what..could not in the 2011.
5) Sounds like my buddies 2012 Shelby GT500 with magnaflow catback.
6) Recaros are worth the money.
7) Kudos for the build quality of the body panels. I use to do body work...
8) DRINKS gas ( 11 mpg average ) myfault......heavy foot.
9) I promised myself to leave stock.......yeah right.

10) Pulls like my tune and intake only 2007 ZO6 did....flame suit on.
11) Makes the busy days at work...worth it.

Any thoughts??

railroad

Established Member
I felt the same about the 662 hp. It seems very docile. Other times, I think, this thing is doing good today. To feel the power, the stars and planets have to be aligned. I think most of this comes from the computer controlling the throttle. If all the conditions are optimal you will get more throttle, if not, it opens less. When it started breaking the tires loose at 80 mph, I did not feel like it was getting into the right rpm range, more like it started opening the butterflies. Just my thoughts, maybe Van can confirm from his tuning experience. Congrats on your car.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Great review, I'm really impressed with the car also, it does seem docile for a car with this much fact HP but look at some of the guys on here with just some bolt ons, their cars are crazy fast!

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Nice review. I still can't get over how quick the speedometer climbs into triple digits. It goes so fast so quick, it looks fake. It's just getting started @ 130...
I run a wide rear tire. No spin. So it all happens real quick. Stock power.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I felt the same about the 662 hp. It seems very docile. Other times, I think, this thing is doing good today. To feel the power, the stars and planets have to be aligned. I think most of this comes from the computer controlling the throttle. If all the conditions are optimal you will get more throttle, if not, it opens less. When it started breaking the tires loose at 80 mph, I did not feel like it was getting into the right rpm range, more like it started opening the butterflies. Just my thoughts, maybe Van can confirm from his tuning experience. Congrats on your car.

That's why I think so many people praise the car and enjoy it more after they have added a tune. I have a feeling we only know a fraction of all the variables the stock tune is using to "soften" the car up and make it a great, safe, comfortable car for people to enjoy on a daily basis. Ford knew guys like us wouldn't leave the car stock anyway so they didn't have to cater to our needs, they just left it on the table for us to go get if we wanted.

I have to admit I've fallen to only driving the car with all traction control off now. I find that then lets the car dance around enough for me to enjoy myself until I start modding. :rolling:

railroad

Established Member
Great review, I'm really impressed with the car also, it does seem docile for a car with this much fact HP but look at some of the guys on here with just some bolt ons, their cars are crazy fast!

True, but most all of the engine perf bolt ons require a tune. I am sure most of the tunes address the nanny systems and put a leash on them to some degree. I guess we do need to protect the engine from some of the higher temps, pre ignition, cold engine temps, etc. I think Van gave some throttle opening percentages, stating stock and tuned do not get 100% on the throttle. I really need to rack up some more miles and get one of their kits. You can tell by the users reports they are very effective.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
All,

Any thoughts??

I agree with numbers one and two for sure. After getting used to it, you realize the potential is being held back. Also a lil higher gear would have been nice, such as a 3.55 option.

The paint is mostly flawless on mine. A good seal and wax as soon as you buy the car helps. I could not shift fast with the stock shifter and clutch assist in.

They sound good, but still not aggressive enough to me. Headers with OR mid and the stock quads = win.

I agree, when you are in it, gas goes quick. Body panels are pretty spot on for a car built on an assembly line.

I would say once modded they hit hard similar to a Z06, but the portly weight hurts them. Would love to add a C6Z one day.

Personally I love the car, almost everything about it. For sake of discussion after a year of ownership here are my loves/hates:

Love the ease of modding, its endless what you can do to make the car yours. Aggressive muscle car looks. The sound. The ability to still use it on long trips with ease. Its just fun all around.

I hate: gear whine. Ford needs to address this.
Small tires from the factory.
Shaker pro is too much for what it is.
Stock tune is very intrusive.
Should have more options as far as mixing colors, interior, etc.

All in all when you factory in price for what you get, the car is a solid 9 out of 10.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
I agree with numbers one and two for sure. After getting used to it, you realize the potential is being held back. Also a lil higher gear would have been nice, such as a 3.55 option.

The paint is mostly flawless on mine. A good seal and wax as soon as you buy the car helps. I could not shift fast with the stock shifter and clutch assist in.

They sound good, but still not aggressive enough to me. Headers with OR mid and the stock quads = win.

I agree, when you are in it, gas goes quick. Body panels are pretty spot on for a car built on an assembly line.

I would say once modded they hit hard similar to a Z06, but the portly weight hurts them. Would love to add a C6Z one day.

Personally I love the car, almost everything about it. For sake of discussion after a year of ownership here are my loves/hates:

Love the ease of modding, its endless what you can do to make the car yours. Aggressive muscle car looks. The sound. The ability to still use it on long trips with ease. Its just fun all around.

I hate: gear whine. Ford needs to address this.
Small tires from the factory.
Shaker pro is too much for what it is.
Stock tune is very intrusive.
Should have more options as far as mixing colors, interior, etc.

All in all when you factory in price for what you get, the car is a solid 9 out of 10.

After about a week in my 14 and coming from an over the top 03 cobra I would say you guys are spot on about the car. It is a wonderful machine set up perfectly for daily light to light driving. An the potential to open this car up later down the line is there. I'm staying 100 stock because its been a long time since I've had the joy of such a daily driver.

R1Lello

Established Member
All,

Any thoughts??[/QUOTE]

Only one - you buy and sell too many cars !!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread