2015 GT base On3 TT(and NO regrets) build

olaosunt

Established Member
Chad has reassured me there is absolutely nothing to worry about because of their location.

I am also going to install the hellion on my auto so I will be able to give an unbiased "every day driver

opinion" and comparison . Track times may be difficult to compare because of auto vs manual( I am

no Evan Smith) but should be able compare trap times for same boost.

Below is well written opinion by a resident "expert" -"phunk" to give him credit- on another forum. It

seems to me most, including myself , want the turbo in the engine bay for the coolness

factor/bragging rights, even though that location has very few benefits other than not needing a

scavenging pump(other advantages of the low mount have been touched on here before and

include quicker spool because direct connection to exhaust.)

Also note the protype TT that Ford racing built did not have the turbo in the engines bay but in a

similar location.

Phunk:

"That location is absolutely fine for turbos. In fact, it is ideal. The downside to this location is that they will need an oil return pump. It is about 2-3" lower than an OEM factory turbo system generally places the turbos, which is why it will need the scavenge pump. It is less weight because you have less stainless hot piping. To put them up front would take 2-3 feet of up-pipe, and 3-4 feet longer down pipe. Weight distribution of the vehicle is effected positively rather than negatively as the weight is placed low and centered.

Turbo response is improved with shorter exhaust manifolds supplying the turbines with hotter and higher velocity exhaust gases. Manifold reliability is improved as the turbochargers are not leveraged 2-3 feet away from the header flange putting all that stress on the tubing.

As for heat management concerns... This placement gives the exhaust heat a direct path out of the engine compartment. Most airflow that enters the grill through the radiator... It leaves the engine bay underneath at the back, and goes under the car. Passing these turbos on the way out, taking the heat down under the car with it. Turbochargers up in front on top have minimal direct airflow and lets not even get started on the added 6-8 feet of hot piping between manifolds, up-pipes, downpipes, wastegate tubes, recirc tubes, external gates, etc that is radiating heat all over the place.

You dont run your headers up to the top front of your engine bay and back down again for all the same exact reasons.

Can it be done and be done reliably? yes of course, like anything, "where there is a will there is a way'. Absolutely it can be done... but its just backwards to point the system above and poke at it when most other turbo systems I see on mustangs are starting out with every single disadvantage over this. "

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Any more news on when they should have the kits finished up and ready to go? I am looking at one for my 15.

olaosunt

Established Member
Any more news on when they should have the kits finished up and ready to go? I am looking at one for my 15.
Chad is working really hard to have this ready for production soon.
He had to make some minor tweaks to the original design(he is quite the perfectionist/OCD) and then off to dyno before the end of the month.
If he is happy with how it performs he says it will be ready for production.
He may be taking preorders for the first 15 production kits.
I am personally thrilled with what he is doing and know it is going to be a high quality/performing kit.
You can also check out his instagram for updates.

olaosunt

Established Member
Sorry for not updating this thread(I have on the other site)
Here is a review and driving impressions
(I don't have pictures on my computer and unable to load from photbucket anymore }

So, we had some decent weather today(low 50's) and I had a chance to drive the On3 car.

I am not sure how much is due to the better weight distribution of the turbo's(and I am sure less weight) making the Hellion car nose heavy or the Steeda IRS suspension parts(linear springs,IRS sub frame brace and bushing support system, vertical links-did not install PP rear toe links or bushing differential),one piece drive shaft,DSS axles, but the On3 car drives and handles like a dream.

The on3 car was lighter to start of being a base, manual while the Hellion car is a premium auto.

The car is a lot more responsive at part throttle .I don't know how much boost it is making since the cars OEM gauge (I know it is inaccurate from the Hellion car) is not reading anything .

Under WOT the dump tubes are noisy and make an awful racket(like an exhaust leak which I guess it is) so I plan to route them in to the exhaust.

Off course it does not pull like the Hellion car@WOT which is making about 14 psi and always has 100 octane in it (just had it on the dyno and it made 750/723 with MS109).

The IMRC light is back on and the car surges/splutters a bit when I think I think it is starting to make boost at WOT

I had the same issue with Hellion car with same p2007/2206 codes and it did not make ANY boost until my installer fixed it by rerouting the vacuum lines.

I am hoping he can do the same with this car but I am waiting on a couple of couplers I need to install the induction system(I have all the tubes)routing air from the filters behind the grill to the turbo's. Right now there is just a screen on the turbo's so I am being real careful.

If he can't fix it the same way, then I will be swapping the intake for one from an 11-14(Chad had one clearance already and I can swap with the one from my 12)or a boss intake.

I just ordered a fuel system from Sai(he made me a heck of a deal) to run E85 with ID1000's.He will be retuning for that anyway so if I do need to swap intakes that will be a great time to do it.

Chad had said it made 610 rwhp as it is on the dyno with journal bearing turbo's and it now has the BB.

I can't wait to see how it drives once the IMRC is sorted out (one way or the other) with E85 and more boost.

olaosunt

Established Member
Since then have had the filters on and the IMRC issue has been resolved routing the vacum lines differently .

I have an eboost controller and turned the boost up to 10 psi( I have 100 octane or 93 with Torco in it just to be safe )and it feels much better .

I am installing the Sai's return fuel system and and ID injectors this week.

Sai already sent me an E70 tune( since I am sure that is what is in the pumps at this time of the year) to datalog .

I tried a straight through muffler (flowmaster outlaws) and it was loud and sounded awful .My hellion car sounds awesome with the kooks straight through so I am thinking it is the headers giving it that hollow sound I hate .

I put back the chambered Gibson mufflers but did electric Y cut outs just before the mufflers .

The Gibson mufflers sound much better and the open cutouts surprisingly sound nicer than the outlaws .

I will have it tuned with the cutouts open(less back pressure) and will likely have to do the WOT logs on the dyno .

Hoping to be able to turn up the boost with E70 and even more when I get E85 in spring( or I may just get some renegade E85 and have it all tuned at once )

I will update with dyno results .

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
I posted the results of my dyno looking for advice
(it made 630 rwhp and 700 lb/ft torque @9 psi but something was off)

on3 pull.jpg

I completely get the dyno is only a tuning tool but since tracks are closed and the roads are frozen this is my only option at this time to get WOT logs

I have a return fuel system and had a tune for E70 with E75(tested in the tank)

I have an Eboost controller set to about 9 ps(it read more on the dyno monitor)and had the electric cut outs(pre muffler) open.

First few pulls were decent but then operator car started breaking up so

regapped the plugs and try again but things got worse and throwing codes0300,0301 and 0304 as we tried to increase boost

My tuner said it looked the fuel trims were not responding and stuck at 1.0. He thought it could be bad 02 wide bands.

Car has never had leaded race gas .Cat currently had under 4000 miles

I am going to order a set but want o see if there are other possibilities I can look for before redoing.

I am going to look at how the cutouts/boost controller is wired in case it may be causing power draw affecting the sensors.

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
Since then ,we have figured out the issue.

The 02 sensors are fine and car makes even more boost per same duty cycle .

I also changed the plugs to brisk(had the NGK)

I have not been back on the dyno but have been able to get some logs of third gear pulls up to 6500 rom with E85 tune.

I just sent tuner logs of the second revision.

I had my daughter make a video of the boost gauge while I logged the latest tune revision up to 6500.
Not best quality as she was scared but you get a glimpse of how fast it pulls from 40-90.
I will see if I can post it on you tube

It made 14-15 psi on that pull with AFR in the 0.76 range, short term fuel trims were responding and timing was a consistent 16-17 above 4000 rpm.
It pulls harder than my Hellion car that makes 750 rwhp on race has and has run 10.3@133-134 with the pump tune.

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
I see the first on3 kits have shipped.

swapping to brisk plugs seems to have solved the breaking up issues.

Here are low "low"-14 psi and "high" 15 psi pulls from yesterday.
on3highboosrrpmt.jpg

on3low boost.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread