2015 Shelby GT350 Powertrain

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's honestly the most fun you would ever have with your car. It's not dirt cheap, but it's not necessarily expensive or that hard on the car either. Not like you're actually racing and bumping into people. You set your own pace, need a wave by to pass others and have an instructor with you to help in most cases. The only real expenses most beginners incur are track fees, tires, brakes, and track day insurance (if you're smart). You can almost always find the GT500 Goodyear's in the classified section for sale cheap which make decent track days tires for a beginner/intermediate IMO. Good set of track pads, good fluid and $100 Centric rotors and you're about all set. Try it once, you'll likely be hooked.

+1

I have made 100 or so passes in different cars from modded diesels to a big block Camaro, by the 3rd turn in a Ford Fiesta ST on the track I realized road racing is a lot more fun.

specizripn

Established Member
Lamborghini Gallardos were making less horsepower and torque just a few years ago and yet people aren't impressed by this $50k car's output? Really? People really need some perspective...

Breitling

Established Member
If you're interested in a new Mustang that's built for a straight line, I'd say hold out. I'm sure Ford has another GT500 on the way. You're not wrong in your thinking, this just isn't the right car for you. Plain and simple.

This post seems to be spot on. The 13/14 GT500 and the 15/16 GT350 are just different cars. Apples and oranges.

Voltwings

Established Member
Lamborghini Gallardos were making less horsepower and torque just a few years ago and yet people aren't impressed by this $50k car's output? Really? People really need some perspective...

2012 LP550-2 2dr RWD Coupe

5.2L V10

543 hp @ 8000 rpms

398 tq @ 6500 rpms

3100-3200 lbs

Yup ...

Last edited:

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I wish I could. You see, the way Virginia is setup...
It *is* a bit of a hike just for internet glory, I agree. Ah well.

If you get the chance to rent a spec Mustang (or Miata, or ...) and run it at VIR, I recommend doing so. Fair warning: it can be addictive...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If you are a serious road course racer, you don't choose a Mustang as your weapon of choice. You pick a two seater thats closer to 3000lbs rather than 4000lbs.

Woohoo you can beat a camaro, what are you going to do next to real track pedigreed, track oriented cars? You will be looking at Vette, Viper, Porsche, GTR, tail lights all day. If your lucky maybe even get to lose to Ferraris, Mclarens and Lamborghinis.

Have you seen the weight on the cars you mention? The lightest is the viper at 3300lbs and then everything else between 3500 and 4000 lbs. Incidently the GT350R starts in the 3500lb range. The Z28 made a big fuss about being faster than a GTR and 991turbo. If the GT350 is near as fast as these cars all for half the price, that is one hell of a performance bargain! And still way faster than your modified GT500 in the twisties. What if it's faster than the z28?

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It *is* a bit of a hike just for internet glory, I agree. Ah well.

If you get the chance to rent a spec Mustang (or Miata, or ...) and run it at VIR, I recommend doing so. Fair warning: it can be addictive...

Let's get to the big question...have you posted pics of your new filled garage?:beer:

blk02edge

Established Member
Yea but markup doesnt make it any less impressive, its not ford's fault that dealers are greedy and people are stupid enough to pay it

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
While I am disappointed in the lack of weight savings in the GT350 (and the CF wheels of the R are not really practical for those of us who would go through 4-5 sets of tires a year), I think it should work well on-track.
The broad powerband of the 5.2 should work well, big brakes, more tire, IRS...nice. Let's see how the FPC endures and tire/brake wear along with cooling. I am still not sure Ford added supplemental brake cooling, and at 3800# along with the speeds it will generate it's will need it. But Ford checked a lot of the right boxes here.
This car will be faster on-track than any previous iteration of the S197. And let's stop talking about Miatas and S2000's please. The GT350 will decimate SM lap records with ease. This will be a $56.5k Mustang that's going to punch above its weight.
S.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
One of the most impressive test Ford ran was the 24 hour lap time test making sure it never dropped below 3% of its best lap time. That shows consistency and performance under extreme circumstances!

I thought it started at 3700lbs track pack with the R being 130lbs less. Even the legendary z06 is approaching this weight!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
While I am disappointed in the lack of weight savings in the GT350 (and the CF wheels of the R are not really practical for those of us who would go through 4-5 sets of tires a year), I think it should work well on-track.
The broad powerband of the 5.2 should work well, big brakes, more tire, IRS...nice. Let's see how the FPC endures and tire/brake wear along with cooling. I am still not sure Ford added supplemental brake cooling, and at 3800# along with the speeds it will generate it's will need it. But Ford checked a lot of the right boxes here.
This car will be faster on-track than any previous iteration of the S197. And let's stop talking about Miatas and S2000's please. The GT350 will decimate SM lap records with ease. This will be a $56.5k Mustang that's going to punch above its weight.
S.
I thought the weight of the standard GT350 was 3620lbs, while the R with carbon wheels was something along the lines of 35xxlbs? Ultra light wheels will help the car tremendously. I know you like to do both types of racing, 1/4 and road course. Havent seen you post in awhile, have you ordered an R yet?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Nobody knows the weight yet though. We're all speculating here unless I've missed something recently. All I know so far is that they've said the regular GT350 is lighter than the GT, and the R without the electronics package is 130lbs. lighter than that.

Voltwings

Established Member
S.

Entire front of the car is supposed to be ducted to the radiator, brakes (see the C7 z06 for similar front brake ducts), etc... for cooling.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I thought the weight of the standard GT350 was 3620lbs, while the R with carbon wheels was something along the lines of 35xxlbs? Ultra light wheels will help the car tremendously. I know you like to do both types of racing, 1/4 and road course. Havent seen you post in awhile, have you ordered an R yet?
AFAIK, Jamal Hameedi said in an early interview right after the GT350 reveal that it would weigh "a little bit" less than a GT equipped with the PP. So equipped, a GT is just over 3800#. In the interview Jamal did with SID, he talked about "a kilogram" and "a pound" here and there to offset added content (bigger tires and wheels, brakes, coolers, etc.). Considering the GT already has aluminum fenders (and hood?), the biggest weight savings will be in the trans, but then they are going to a dual-mass flywheel. IMO people thinking the car is going to come in at 36xx are going to be disappointed. Figure the car will be 3750-3800# with the R being 130# less (ON D BIT's number) and a BIG chunk of that being wheels (50-60#). In reality, those CF wheels aren't really practical. Tire shops will tear the hell out of your ~$2500/each wheels (Ford replacement cost?) and probably 95%+ of those tracking them will take them off and run track wheels. I personally would never order an R without the Electronics added back into it as sitting at pit out or on the grid waiting for a black flag cleanup sucks in Florida for about 9-months out of the year without AC.

I haven't ordered anything and will watch the GT350's once in owners' hands. I've moved from tracking my GT500 to my C7 Z06, so not even sure if I'll get one. But it would be a base GT350 with the Track Pack.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
The Track Pack is rumored about the same as a mustang gt which starts at 3700lbs. The R is 130 less or their about making it in the 3560-3570 range.
Any link to these rumored weights? As I posted, Jamal said in (two) interviews that weight savings went to offset weight gains (tires/wheels, brakes, coolers, upgraded halfshafts, dual-mass flywheel/dual-disc clutch, etc.). It would be quite impressive if they shaved 100# off the GT PP curb weight while adding all of those parts to the GT350. I don't see it happening.
S.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
10 more grand for that. I never knew SVTP had so many road course racers/experts.

The guys buying these cars will be the first ones to the grocery store and mid pack on road course race day if they are lucky. All in what you want I suppose.

If you are a serious road course racer, you don't choose a Mustang as your weapon of choice. You pick a two seater thats closer to 3000lbs rather than 4000lbs.

Woohoo you can beat a camaro, what are you going to do next to real track pedigreed, track oriented cars? You will be looking at Vette, Viper, Porsche, GTR, tail lights all day. If your lucky maybe even get to lose to Ferraris, Mclarens and Lamborghinis.

It may not look like it at first glance, but not everybody here is interested in drag racing. As far as choosing a Mustang for road racing, most people don't "choose" it if it's going to be a dedicated track car. People go with it because that's what they have, and it's cheaper to upgrade a Mustang for serious track duty with the plethora of chassis and suspension parts available on the market than to buy another car and still have to upgrade that one for dedicated track duty. Concerning the cars you listed, Mustangs literally aren't in the same class as those vehicles on the professional circuits, except the Pirelli World Championship Challenge. Those are all GT class cars, and Mustangs race in GS class. If we're talking weekend amateur racing, a well setup Mustang with a skilled driver could very well show all those cars its tail lights all day long. With Treynor being the exception rather than the rule, Ferraris, McLarens and Lamborghinis (<-especially) are bought/driven by look-at-me poseurs that can barely even park them, much less handle them on a race track.

Im understanding what your saying, but I just cant get my mind around why someone would buy this as a track car, knowing its a mediocre track car. Is it a smart buy at that point? I personally would have buyers remorse the second it gets spanked on by something lesser, like a Miata, S2000, or a C5.

I would be the type to tin can a C5 Z06, Cage it, and build on it, if I truly wanted a track car.

I set out with a purpose for my GT500. I wanted it to be a Street/Strip monster. Once it sees 9s through the 6 speed its done. End game would be throw an auto in it and go for 8s. Not much on the street around here that will touch it.

I myself cant find purpose for the GT350. It's a car you throw a CAI, Tune, Exhaust on and get beat a lot.

Can you imagine the amount of kill videos that will be posted bashing this car?

I guess I should be mad at Chevrolet and Ford for creating this half ass road course muscle car battle. If they want to make a track car, they should make a track car, not just re purpose something that will never be a great track car to begin with.

So you think a stock Miata, S2000 or C5 will outperform a GT350/GT350R on a road course? The reason you can't find purpose for the GT350 is because it is 180* opposite of what you like using cars for. Road course cars and drag cars are polar opposites. One's designed to be able to turn as fast as possible and the other is designed to go straight as fast as possible.

As far as "kill videos" bashing the GT350, look how many are posted of the GT500 getting its ass handed to it. Even now there are still more kill videos posted of GT500s getting beat than there are of it winning. If this was heavyweight boxing, the GT500 wouldn't even have a record good enough to make it a contender for the title. But you still bought one and tried to turn it into a drag king. (For reference, I define "kill videos" as [impromptu] street race videos. Anything at the track is just a track video.)

Your last statement is a bit uninformed. If a cache of wins and podium finishes in Continental Tire Sports Car Championship series doesn't make for a great track car, what does?? I don't really understand how you could think the GT350 won't be a great track car.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Any link to these rumored weights? As I posted, Jamal said in (two) interviews that weight savings went to offset weight gains (tires/wheels, brakes, coolers, upgraded halfshafts, dual-mass flywheel/dual-disc clutch, etc.). It would be quite impressive if they shaved 100# off the GT PP curb weight while adding all of those parts to the GT350. I don't see it happening.
S.

This...When asked about the dry weight of the R.
I don't think they've said curb weight publicly but the regular R weighs roughly 130 lbs less than the track pack GT350, which is similar to regular Mustang GT. GT curb weight starts at about 3700, so dry weight base model R is probably in the mid-high 3400s, based on 16 gallons of fuel, 8 quarts of oil and whatever other coolant/fluids it holds. It's rare that anyone I talk to over there discusses dry weight. They are big on curb weight.

Users who are viewing this thread