2015 Shelby GT350 Powertrain

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Yeah, that's kind of fuzzy. I'm going to go with the car being very close to the GT, but one equipped with the PP. It's got all of that content (bigger sway bar, bracing, bigger brakes, bigger tires/wheels, gauges, etc..) and especially with the coolers added via the Track Pack. I can't find the interview, but as I recall right after release Hameedi commented that the car was a "little bit" lighter than a PP equipped GT. Any weight reduction will be negligible. There is virtually no discernible difference between 3700# and 3800#. Yeah...a stripped down R with CF wheels will be in the 36xx, but not sure how many people will opt for that particular car. But it will be available.
S.

BIG_WINNER

Established Member
So many morons on this forum these days. Ford comes out with a N/A 526 HP flat plane crank motor that revs to 8000+ RPM in a badass track Mustang with great looks and interior for barely any more money (inflation adjusted) than a 03 Cobra was new and people are bitching. Simply incredible. If you read me that stat sheet 5 years ago and said it would be available for $50k in a Mustang I would have laughed at you.

SVTP tho:

"WTF brah? I was hoping for 720 HP (because Hellcat), 3200 pounds and a base price of $35k! NOT IMPRESSED!"

"Can't wait till I meet up with one in my pullied Terminator! Yeah brah!"

Last edited:

Willy88GT

Established Member
Im understanding what your saying, but I just cant get my mind around why someone would buy this as a track car, knowing its a mediocre track car. Is it a smart buy at that point? I personally would have buyers remorse the second it gets spanked on by something lesser, like a Miata, S2000, or a C5.

How do you know it's mediocre if we haven't seen it go W2W against some of the cars you mentioned a page or two back? i.e. Porsches, Ferraris, BMW's, etc.?

SirShaun

Established Member
A little about my thought process.

Ford teases us with the Ford GT as a Corvette competitor. Doesn't quite do the job so they bow out rather quick. Back to the drawing board, thanks for the effort, can't wait to see what you do next, at least they are trying. Little did I know it would be a $400k Ford GT...

Ford comes in with a GT500, a traditional muscle car. Heavy, Powerful, it still turned, but really shined in acceleration. It gets compared more to Corvettes than Camaros in straight line performance. Muscle Cars return to horsepower wars. Works great, top dog status. Hits well above its weight class.

Chevrolet can't beat it with their ZL1 flagship muscle car. They then change the game by launching the Z/28 track car.

Ford then follows suit and buys into the bull shit of making a muscle car a road course car.

Handing over the muscle car market to Dodge who is late to the party with the hell cat. Ford no where to be found. Here dodge have the crown.
---------

In the big 3 of things Ford only has 1 thing working out for it due to this strategy. Well actually we don't know exactly how well it will work out. A GT350, that a lot of people do not want. Chevrolet is sitting back laughing with Corvette sales, the ZL1, and a Z/28. Something for all walks of life. Hell Cat has the horsepower crown.

Ford has literally backed itself into a corner, trying to beat a ****ing tin can muscle car z/28...

Ford is now a 1 trick pony, literally. I am sitting over here like where is my elite muscle car, or corvette competitor? I guess they gave us the Ford GT for a $400,000 laugh, how nice of them. They went balls deep into a new market that the majority of car people could care less about.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

Ford teases us with the Ford GT as a Corvette competitor. Doesn't quite do the job so they bow out rather quick.

Ford comes in with a GT500, a traditional muscle car. Heavy, Powerful, it still turned, but really shined in acceleration. It gets compared more to Corvettes than Camaros in straight line performance.

Chevrolet can't beat it with their ZL1 flagship muscle car. They then change the game by launching the Z/28 track car.

Ford then follows suit and buys into the bull shit of making a muscle car a road course car.

Handing over the muscle car market to Dodge who is late to the party with the hell cat. Ford no where to be found.
---------

In the big 3 of things Ford only has 1 thing working out for it due to this strategy. A GT350, that a lot of people do not want. Chevrolet is sitting back laughing with Corvette sales, the ZL1, and a Z/28. Something for all walks of life.

Ford has literally backed itself into a corner, trying to beat a ****ing tin can muscle car z/28...

Ford is now a 1 trick pony, literally.
Sorry man your thought process is :dw:

The GT was a limited production car and it was still faster than the c6z of its time. Carbon brakes and better tires c6z came out 5 years after the fact.

The GT350 was and IS a track focused mustang. A car that can do both will look really good when its campaigned on the international stage. Something the straight line only cars will never get a chance to do (terminator, gt500, hellcat).

The real one trick pony is the GT500. Now that the hellcat has come out, the only thing a GT500 can do is roll race, and it will still lose to a car that weighs nearly 700lbs more having only a 45hp advantage. We know it cannot get out of the line to save its life. We know it is a drivers race against a c6z that was designed back in 2006.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

Ford teases us with the Ford GT as a Corvette competitor. Doesn't quite do the job so they bow out rather quick.

Haha. That explains it. You are just wrong in all your thinking.

The GT was never a corvette competitor. In fact the first car Ford purchased after they got the authority to move forward was a Ferrari 360! That was the competition not a rattle trap Chevy corvette. But I digress.

Yeah, that's kind of fuzzy. I'm going to go with the car being very close to the GT, but one equipped with the PP. It's got all of that content (bigger sway bar, bracing, bigger brakes, bigger tires/wheels, gauges, etc..) and especially with the coolers added via the Track Pack. I can't find the interview, but as I recall right after release Hameedi commented that the car was a "little bit" lighter than a PP equipped GT. Any weight reduction will be negligible. There is virtually no discernible difference between 3700# and 3800#. Yeah...a stripped down R with CF wheels will be in the 36xx, but not sure how many people will opt for that particular car. But it will be available.
S.

It may be fuzzy to you but to someone who knows the R's weight it's pretty bold evidence the R will be 35xx not 36xx. We shall find out for sure shortly though.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
It may be fuzzy to you but to someone who knows the R's weight it's pretty bold evidence the R will be 35xx not 36xx. We shall find out for sure shortly though.
It's "fuzzy" to me because I live in the real world, not Fantasyland.
But using your quote, "mid-high 3400s" would translate to a curb weight with a full complement of fluids of ~3600-3650#. That's 100# of fuel (16-gallons), 16# of oil (8 qt.), 25# of coolant (12 qt.)...or ~140-150# over the "dry weight" (depending on additional volume due to coolers and diff fluid). Not sure why anybody cares about dry weight...the car doesn't go out on-track with no fluids. I'm guessing it's to keep hope alive that the R will be 35xx#.
And if the R is, in fact, 130# lighter than the base GT350 with Track Pack, then we can expect the GT350 to weigh ~3730-3780#.
S.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Um and to clarify, Chevy came out with the z28 in response to the boss 302. Now ford is firing back with the gt350.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It's "fuzzy" to me because I live in the real world, not Fantasyland.
But using your quote, "mid-high 3400s" would translate to a curb weight with a full complement of fluids of ~3600-3650#. That's 100# of fuel (16-gallons), 16# of oil (8 qt.), 25# of coolant (12 qt.)...or ~140-150# over the "dry weight" (depending on additional volume due to coolers and diff fluid). Not sure why anybody cares about dry weight...the car doesn't go out on-track with no fluids. I'm guessing it's to keep hope alive that the R will be 35xx#.
And if the R is, in fact, 130# lighter than the base GT350 with Track Pack, then we can expect the GT350 to weigh ~3730-3780#.
S.

The reason I answered with dry weight was because someone on my site asked about about it. I really have no idea what the exact dry weight R would be so I was working backwards from the R curb weight using regular S550 capacities.

The 130 lb number on the base R from track pack came straight from the press release.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
The reason I answered with dry weight was because someone on my site asked about about it. I really have no idea what the exact dry weight R would be so I was working backwards from the R curb weight using regular S550 capacities.

The 130 lb number on the base R from track pack came straight from the press release.
I wasn't insinuating that you were using dry weights. From the post that was quoted, it was stated that somebody asked you about the dry weight. Yes...curb weight is what's more important. Unless you're an Italian manufacturer. They always throw around dry weights.
IMO the GT350 will be in the mid-upper 3700's with the Track Pack and the R will be that 130# lighter.
S.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I wasn't insinuating that you were using dry weights. From the post that was quoted, it was stated that somebody asked you about the dry weight. Yes...curb weight is what's more important. Unless you're an Italian manufacturer. They always throw around dry weights.
IMO the GT350 will be in the mid-upper 3700's with the Track Pack and the R will be that 130# lighter.
S.
Unless I can actually *drive* a dry weight car -- and I suspect it would be a very brief journey! -- then I ignore them. There is still some fuzziness with curb weights (tank full or empty? Spare tire? which options?) but as long as the conditions are disclosed...

KBBoss302

Established Member
BIG WINNER - that is one of the funniest and most ON POINT posts I have seen in a long time!

People are being so stupid about the GT350. It is going to be a hell of a car, even if it cost 100k. The fact that it is a 50-65k car is absolutely amazing considering how potent it will be.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Some of these posts are like: " I bought a Veyron and it loses at the tractor pulls."
" I'm putting out 1000hp with my Cummins, but it doesn't autox like I wanted it to."

The car is a track car, which is why it got the moniker of GT350. The GT500 name will come out on a more "American" style car that will be better at the strip. Heaven forbid Ford try expanding it's market to more than just the straight line crowd.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
So many morons on this forum these days. Ford comes out with a N/A 526 HP flat plane crank motor that revs to 8000+ RPM in a badass track Mustang with great looks and interior for barely any more money (inflation adjusted) than a 03 Cobra was new and people are bitching. Simply incredible. If you read me that stat sheet 5 years ago and said it would be available for $50k in a Mustang I would have laughed at you.

SVTP tho:

"WTF brah? I was hoping for 720 HP (because Hellcat), 3200 pounds and a base price of $35k! NOT IMPRESSED!"

"Can't wait till I meet up with one in my pullied Terminator! Yeah brah!"

x65000

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
People are being so stupid about the GT350. It is going to be a hell of a car, even if it cost 100k.
$100k?? Seriously? It's a commodity chassis with some boutique parts chucked at it. It's "evolutionary" as a Mustang, hardly anything near "revolutionary" as a sports/track car. Anyone with a checkbook will be able to put these parts on any Mustang a year from now.

If you're a guy like me, that could care less about existing inside some sort of "stock track car classes" this is a nicely powered yet mildly over-priced Mustang with a degree of uniqueness thanks to Ford's decision to dole them out like candy to a diabetic. I can get a Roush Stage 3 (today!) for the same as (if not slightly less than) an "R" - and while there's obviously no comparison available yet, I bet when it happens the Roush will own the "R" in the straights and the "R" will likely take it back in the turns.

Swap the steel bumpers and wheels on the Roush for tech that's on the "R" and the "R" will be looking at tailights all day. And the Roush will still have the useless back seats. Actually reading more on the Stage 3 it will probably own the "R" period....

Ford has done a great job with the tech - great car for a Mustang, sure, but this thing isn't anywhere near a $100k car. I am sure Ford labored as long over the price point as anything.

lol... I think I just talked myself out of the pipedream of landing an "R" and into a Roush... :loser:

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Better stay in that pipedream if you have any hope of that car beating the GT350 like you think it will lol... Fully prepped S197 cars are losing to basic bolt on suspension S550 cars, tons of people are making the switch, theres just no comparison between the platforms. But please, tell me more about how a Roush GT is going to walk a GT350 R around a track, its fascinating :)

Users who are viewing this thread