2015's testing at drag strip

laruei

Established Member
After watching this and thinking about these IRS units.. i wonder if any new tech from these IRS' will eventually make its way to us "old school" IRS fans..

Has there even been a picture of the entire unit posted yet?

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Traps speeds looked good, that silver one hit 112.3. I'm really liking the new Mustang the more I see it.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
After watching this and thinking about these IRS units.. i wonder if any new tech from these IRS' will eventually make its way to us "old school" IRS fans..

Has there even been a picture of the entire unit posted yet?

Sadly they seem to have carried some of the old tech with the wheel hope. You'd think this would have been #1 on ford list to address after the 03-04 cobra hop.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sadly they seem to have carried some of the old tech with the wheel hope. You'd think this would have been #1 on ford list to address after the 03-04 cobra hop.

Hop is just a biproduct of the design of IRS. It may not be an issue the factory cares about because they arent the ones modding cars to double their stock output. Im sure theyve tested the car stock and the current IRS can withstand stock abuse.

Anything past that is on you, the owner, to deal with.

Its like the 03/04 piston to wall clearance issue, its only exacerbated by people modding their cars. In stock form, that engine can run down the autobahn at 140 and not have issues. Throw on a pulley swap, leaner tune with more timing, add in heat soak, and you have now exceeded the limitations that the factory has provided you.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I strongly disagree. A company that got rid of the IRS and put a solid axle in to the Mustangs for another 10 years to again come to normal muscle car status (which all have irs's) should not hop period. The challenger hellcat doesn't look like it hops.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
I strongly disagree. A company that got rid of the IRS and put a solid axle in to the Mustangs for another 10 years to again come to normal muscle car status (which all have irs's) should not hop period. The challenger hellcat doesn't look like it hops.

This

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

theres videos of hellcats running at true dragstrips?

Theres other physics in play than just the design of the actual IRS that causes it to hop. Weight would have alot to do with why a fatass like the charger/challengers dont hop. Also tire comes into play too. Hard to just compare two cars and go "well this one doesnt hop, this one does". You can get hop in a miata, s2k, all the way up to a corvette. Its just the nature of the physics behind hop. Something has to give (traction wise).

And honestly, my 02 GT hopped like a bitch at all times, and my 03 only hopped when very cold. Of course, one had far better tires (295 KDW2 in the GT, 315 555r's in the Cobra).

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
check at 2:20 , there are other videos on the net about the wheel hop. Its not just one 15 mustang, seems like they all have this issue, and extremly odd (sad) ford didn't address this IMHO. [video=youtube;vfc1u16d2VU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfc1u16d2VU#t=148[/video] Sure fix it with after market... WTF isn't this 2015 shouldn't they have this figured out.LOL

Last edited:

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Old guy reporting in....

You whipper snappers should have been around in the days of 60's muscle cars. You haven't seen wheel hop like we had with leaf springs winding up.

We used ladder (or some call them "slapper") bars to help but in reality the modern cars hop much less. Geez, we used to break U-joints because of wheel hop.

To me, hot rodding is compromise. And for the majority that buy these cars they want that ride........ Once you start capturing the rear end, ride goes bye bye......

The IRS is better for curves and all around performance, not power to the ground.

E

scott_0

Established Member
The last race was a silver 5.0 and it ran a 13.03 @ 111.87
that is Revolution Automotive's shop car, it now has Weld RTS's on it, sexy looking too

Traps speeds looked good, that silver one hit 112.3. I'm really liking the new Mustang the more I see it.
that is Cecil County drayway in Maryland, long known as one of the fastest tracks on the East Coast, lol some joke and say its down hill

Users who are viewing this thread