2016 fgt

dvups1

Established Member
Last year, Road & Track had 3 designs for the new Ford GT Supercar and allowed the public to vote online for their favorite. Any idea which one won?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
they need to build a two seater super car around $85-90k that will be a vette fighter...now that would be cool

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
I doubt they will make one, it cost Ford well over $500,000 per car and they sold new for $250,000, i do not see Ford taking that big of a haircut ever again, i am however very grateful that they did produce these when times were good as this car is a fantastic product, and i can not wait to own one in the future.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I doubt they will make one, it cost Ford well over $500,000 per car and they sold new for $250,000, i do not see Ford taking that big of a haircut ever again, i am however very grateful that they did produce these when times were good as this car is a fantastic product, and i can not wait to own one in the future.

You have no clue what you are talking about!

jcthorne

Established Member
Actually 2006s were 150k before options and taxes, Most were 161 to 167 bottom line and VERY few sold for sticker price. Average was about 20k over, 185 or so.

The sticker price had to cover the full production cost of the car. No loss per car. They actually reported a small profit per unit. Engineering effort however was not included in the price and is why most articles that discussed the subjet said the car was sold below actual cost.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The sticker price had to cover the full production cost of the car. No loss per car. They actually reported a small profit per unit. Engineering effort however was not included in the price and is why most articles that discussed the subjet said the car was sold below actual cost.

That's interesting that they did not include that. That would move the needle a whole lot I bet. I wonder if they have figured in the recall costs, or are those accounted for elsewhere?

chuckstang

Established Member
FWIW
Halo cars such as the fgt dont have to be profitable per unit in the short term. The r&d was used on other projects and there is really no way to put a $ figure on the money it made by getting people into the showroom and purchasing other vehicles.

I also believe there will be a successor to the FGT in the not too distant future

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
FWIW
Halo cars such as the fgt dont have to be profitable per unit in the short term. The r&d was used on other projects and there is really no way to put a $ figure on the money it made by getting people into the showroom and purchasing other vehicles.

They lost $15 billion dollars 2006-07. It couldn't have helped that much;-)

I do hope they make a follow up, just nothing related to the past or Shelby. Let's see what the design team can do with a clean sheet.

Last edited:

COBRA MAN OF UT

F...UR SUPRA @ GTR
Established Member
Actually 2006s were 150k before options and taxes, Most were 161 to 167 bottom line and VERY few sold for sticker price. Average was about 20k over, 185 or so.

Full loaded all 4 options 2006 $166,945... does not include heritage,,,,

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
i think they would be fine with a modified 5.8 liter as far as the powerplant goes. up the power some, then build something light to put the engine in. take away the vettes main advantage. just my .02

jcthorne

Established Member
The next Ford supercar will not use a 5.8l. It will be a showcase of Ford's green technology. Look for a turbo V6 with 4 wheel hybrid drive units. Possibly plug in tech.

This would yield computer controlled AWD, Full plug in hybrid fuel economy and a world class performance. Easily in the 600 plus HP range with the hybrid drive and combustion combined, maybe much more.

Light, fast, 80+ eMPG could be quite a car.

bret a ewing

Established Member
The next Ford supercar will not use a 5.8l. It will be a showcase of Ford's green technology. Look for a turbo V6 with 4 wheel hybrid drive units. Possibly plug in tech.

This would yield computer controlled AWD, Full plug in hybrid fuel economy and a world class performance. Easily in the 600 plus HP range with the hybrid drive and combustion combined, maybe much more.

Light, fast, 80+ eMPG could be quite a car.

What do you think the price will be?

jcthorne

Established Member
That depends on if Ford actually wants to put many of them on the road, or just make a green tech statement.

At 240 to 260 they could sell a significant number if the performance is there. At 400 or more, they will sell only a very few. They could even keep it as a prototype show piece and never produce at all as has been the case for a number of Ford's ventures. Almost included the GT.

bret a ewing

Established Member
That depends on if Ford actually wants to put many of them on the road, or just make a green tech statement.

At 240 to 260 they could sell a significant number if the performance is there. At 400 or more, they will sell only a very few. They could even keep it as a prototype show piece and never produce at all as has been the case for a number of Ford's ventures. Almost included the GT.

The first statement is of course true. But I'm not sure the market is solid for the 1/4 million$ Ford. Below is an excerpt taken from question 3 of a Q&A with the Chief Engineer of the FGT project. It may give some insight.

Ford GT Forum (3): If you had to name one item that you fought for/against that brought you the most grief, what would it be?

Jamal Hameedi: "Doing a non standard key (for - lost), covering the passenger airbag with leather (for - lost), the roll down windows (for - won), the 90 degree door (for - won), dual fuel fillers (against - won), the belly pans (for - won), Nardo (for - won), Nurburgring (for - lost) but probably the biggest item: convincing people within Ford that if we built a car deserving of the Ford GT nameplate, people would pay more than $100,000 for it (for - won). Several people wanted it to be priced at $99,995 and it would have been a VERY different car at that price. Trust me - you wouldn't have liked it".

Users who are viewing this thread