2016 fgt

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I wish they would make this the next GT

GR1_zps9c186251.jpg

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
^^^ that Daytona concept is just right and is an example of simple flowing lines like both the original and new Viper, versus the busy, multi surface edge design of the C7 Vette.

I pray Ford will build another Ford GT40 in the near future.
That will let me afford a 2005/2006 model then.
If that happens the 05/06 models may drop some so alot of those models will be F/S & maybe we can afford too buy a 2005/2006 model without having too take a second morgage on our homes.
Jusy my thought & pray Ford builds another year or two Run of this incrediable car.
Have a 2014 Shelby GT500 Ruby-Red on order & counting time now for it too arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:

flattrack53

Established Member
I would appreciate if they did not make another one... That way the 05 in my garage keeps climbing in value

SVTCobra1993

Established Member
IMO Ford doesn't need to build another limited run/production car to compete head to head with Ferrari's, Lambo's and highend Porsches, but a more budget minded higher production vehicle that can compete head to head with Vettes, Vipers, GTR's, etc.

GT-Rs, Zs and Vipers already compete with Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini. Just compare horsepower, quarter mile times, skidpad figures and Nürbürgring lap times.
Nonetheless I do agree with you, Ford should be working on a new Shelby Cobra of sorts rather than another FGT. The first FGT was already a heritage-based vehicle and I can't see how Ford would be creating another vehicle based on the heritage of a 10-year-old car.
The idea I've had recently was that SVT or Shelby American should ressurect the stillborn Series II roadster (designed by SA), fit in the Trinity engine and make an arrangement with AC Cars for development (to make it handle like an European sports car) and to take care of EU export versions. I mean, it looks great - in my opinion one of the most beautiful designs of the last 25 years - and I've always thought the Trinity engine was perfect for a Viper/ZR1 rival rather than a high end pony car.

So true;Bring on the AC Cobra back with a 5.8L, 6.2L, & BIG BOY 7.0L [Options for engine choices].
Offer it with these engines & make a Daytona Coupe & open AC unit with a removal top.
We can only dream Keep Mr. Carol Shelby's heritage style in reality & produce enough unit's.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcthorne

Established Member
Next month is the 50th anniversay of the birth of the Ford GT (April 1963)

50 years as America's Supercar

Think I'll keep mine a bit longer. Its going to be a long time before the stars align for Ford to do another supercar. Regulations continue to increase cost of development making small production run cars less and less feasable. There is a reason the few supercars on the market have increased in price so significantly in the last few years. A new Ford supercar would be in the 400k range with production numbers in the few thousand. Simply not there and no market for a 100k unit a year car.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Next month is the 50th anniversay of the birth of the Ford GT (April 1963)

50 years as America's Supercar

Think I'll keep mine a bit longer. Its going to be a long time before the stars align for Ford to do another supercar. Regulations continue to increase cost of development making small production run cars less and less feasable. There is a reason the few supercars on the market have increased in price so significantly in the last few years. A new Ford supercar would be in the 400k range with production numbers in the few thousand. Simply not there and no market for a 100k unit a year car.

Where do you get the $400K number from? It wasn't that long ago that Ford produced the GT for $150K. How does SRT produce a sub $100K Viper? And what $150K-$200K supercar is sold at 100K units a year?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Where do you get the $400K number from? It wasn't that long ago that Ford produced the GT for $150K. How does SRT produce a sub $100K Viper? And what $150K-$200K supercar is sold at 100K units a year?

I can speak to the Viper.....they already have a production plant, and haven't ever really totally redesigned the car. The amount of money they put into that car is relatively small, because most of the capital infrastructure has been in place for a long time. The vette is in a similar situation.

Ford sold the Wixom plant, so they don't have anywhere to actually make it, and the GT can't meet the required safety requirements without major changes which I have read will ruin the look.

A clean sheet design and production tooling is crazy expensive. Add in a new site selection and all the costs associated with that, and it would be hard not to lose your ass on some ultra low volume car.

Ford did not put these units together.
It was Saleen Enginers that assembled the 2005/2006 Ford Gt.
all Ford did was built the parts & structure Frame for it & assembled by Saleen's Enginers[Speed-lab]Saleen had the assemley plant in Michigan.
So I would think that if Ford choose too it could produce it again .Why change up any part of this great looking car.
Look what Dodge is doing & eve GM with the new Vete.
Not much changes in those two units.
Just my thoughts.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The GTs were assembled at the Ford owned Wixom plant. There was heavy supplier involvement, but it wash still produced at a Ford plant.

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
The current shape cannot meet FMVSS crash standards. The driver cockpit would have to be an entirely different shape. The Ford GT shape as done in the 60s and closely copied in 2005 and 06 can never be built again. It would have to be a clean sheet new supercar design. It would also have to meet all current safety standards which include traction control and a host of other electronics. Between the design costs and production costs the car would be in the 400k range to sell numbers in the few thousand. It could be cheaper if it could sell in the 100k units range but even then 250k plus and will not sell those numbers.

Why build a lesser car? They already have the GT500. The viper and vette are nice sports cars but are not mid engine supercars. You really have to look at what ferrari, lambo, mclaren are doing to compare pricing/volumes to what the GT would be today. All 3 of those are in the upper 300s and produce volumes Ford cannot count on in plants they already have using an infrastructure already in place.

Not saying never but not in this economy and not in Ford's current financial position. They are doing MUCH better than just a few years ago but still have a number of product areas that need MUCH work and investment.

If you are looking for an 80 to 100k Ford sports car, I think you will have to be happy with where the GT500 is going. The next gen will be far better than the current but obviously still a top end Mustang. I do expect the performance of the GT500 line to eventualy surpass that of the Ford GT as it was built so a continuous improvement but there is no business case for something more at this time. Maybe never again.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
I wish they would make this the next GT

GR1_zps9c186251.jpg

The best concept car ever built.
When I first saw it on Discovery "Rides" I was in love.
It's so simple yet so amazingly beautiful. Everything about it is so perfect!
I wish they would've built it.

Jroc

Established Member
I love the design, but IMHO it looks more like a modern Daytona than a next-gen 40.

The car their showing is the Ford GR-1 concept which Ford unveiled at the 2005 North American International Auto Show held in Detroit. It had a 6.4L V10 rated at 605 HP/501 lb-ft which was also used in the Ford Shelby Cobra concept car. Much of it's chassis and suspension design was taken from the FGT, and Ford Shelby Cobra concept car which was unveiled the previous year at the 2004 North American International Auto Show.
2005 Ford Shelby GR1 Concept with Aluminum Body

Ford Shelby Cobra concept car.
2005 Shelby Cobra Concept | Auto Concept

SVTCobra1993

Established Member
The car their showing is the Ford GR-1 concept which Ford unveiled at the 2005 North American International Auto Show held in Detroit. It had a 6.4L V10 rated at 605 HP/501 lb-ft which was also used in the Ford Shelby Cobra concept car.

That V10 would've been awesome to see in a production vehicle.

Badasssapper67

Established Member
I'd love to see a new GT-40 with the 6.2 as the foundation for the new engine. I'd love to see them sleeve it out to 4.25" bore and make it a 427. Design the body to be like the MKIIB's....well, no matter what I bet you can still buy a MKIIB kit from ERA, and I know you can make your own SOHC 427 because they're still making the parts.
Either way, I will own one before I take the long dirt nap, God willing.

Users who are viewing this thread