EditorTurner

Established Member
0-2016-Focus-RS-Dyno-Test.jpg

Starting Line
Mishimoto embarks on its Focus RS project with baseline testing
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Mishimoto

The highly anticipated Focus RS is finally arriving on US shores and starting to hit the streets. Rated at 350 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque at the crank, Ford’s hottest hatch promises to be blast to drive. However, we’ve been anxious to see what kind of power it puts down to the wheels on a chassis dyno in the United States.

Fortunately the crew at Mishimoto have picked up a new RS as a development project, and they company wasted no time strapping it down to an all-wheel-drive Dynapack dyno, which typically offers up more conservative numbers than the more common inertia dynos. However, when you are developing parts, the most important thing is consistent results on the same dyno.

Here’s a look a Mishimoto’s baseline run…

[video=youtube;45K5FQpwMIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45K5FQpwMIA[/video]

“Our runs revealed that the Focus came in at 252 horsepower and just over 283 torque,” says the company. “We certainly see potential in the RS as an excellent foundation to build on.”

Here’s an updated video that provides a bit more perspective on the dyno numbers...

[video=youtube;yON7UIv7-d0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yON7UIv7-d0[/video]

From here Mishimoto will use the hot hatch to develop products, as it has for Ford’s other hot hatches, like the Fiesta ST and Focus ST.

“We have big plans for this little car, but we want to hear what you think! Let us know what you think of our new RS and what features you would like a closer look at,” Mishimoto added. “We are looking forward to tackling an entire line of products for this monster, so stay tuned!”

1-2016-Focus-RS-Dyno-Test.jpg

The stock Mishimoto Focus RS baselined on a Dynapack chassis dyno with more than 252 horsepower and 283 lb-ft of torque.

2-2016-Focus-RS-Dyno-Test.jpg

It will be fun to see what Mishimoto has in store for its new Focus RS project.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The cars are inconsistent with dyno numbers and we aren't quite sure why at this point.

Some cars will see 300+ on one pull, then 250 on the next, then 280 after that. Kaizen tuning saw 3 pulls at 250, and the last one at 294.

Not sure if it's cat protection or what, there aren't very many ways to log these cars yet.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The cars are inconsistent with dyno numbers and we aren't quite sure why at this point.

Some cars will see 300+ on one pull, then 250 on the next, then 280 after that. Kaizen tuning saw 3 pulls at 250, and the last one at 294.

Not sure if it's cat protection or what, there aren't very many ways to log these cars yet.

There's so many electronics and protections on the car that it's probably going to a little while to get everything figured out.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
There's so many electronics and protections on the car that it's probably going to a little while to get everything figured out.

Yeah.

I'm really curious to see if it's fuel related. So far we only know of one car that was confirmed to use 93. The others may have been using 87.

One guy with a dyno is going to put some race fuel in his car and see what it does.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

I looked into this a few weeks ago and if I remember, the higher numbers came from an "overboost" feature? Otherwise, what you see is what it's normally putting down.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I looked into this a few weeks ago and if I remember, the higher numbers came from an "overboost" feature? Otherwise, what you see is what it's normally putting down.

Overboost is designed to restart if you lift off the throttle for any period of time.

I think it's more of a marketing gimmick.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Eh.. That's what my Evo x made all stock with 60 less hp..

I'm sure once they get all of the kinks worked out, this car will be an awesome little hatch.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I understand AWD drivetrain loss but that is A LOT considering the claimed crank numbers. STi which is 305 will typically put the same HP down on a dynojet. The torque numbers are definitely more though. My tuned WRX typically had around a 23-24% drivetrain loss.

1fastTbird

Established Member
Those "low" numbers seem to be consistent from other online stories about RS dyno pulls. It has very similar / identical quarter mile times to the 305hp WRX STI and the 292hp Golf R; these dyno numbers seem to support that. Ford is building the most kick ass performance cars of any manufacturer right now, but maybe they can tone back the marketing team from over-promising, and continue to let the engineering team over-deliver.
It's OK to underrate a car. As a side note, Ford just released higher torque numbers for the '17 Fusion Sport. They would have been better served by taking a page from BMW quoting the original lower torque numbers in marketing material.

Last edited by a moderator:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If this thing ends up in the 14's at the track... they will start butchering cows.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Mishimoto made another video, they mentioned this car had just been drifted and maybe didn't like it on these original dyno pulls.

After a proper cool down, they made 10 consecutive runs making ~310 awhp.

Users who are viewing this thread