2016 GT engine chirping.

Booz

Established Member
Hey guys, recently got a 16 GT.
Currently kind of kicking myself. The car had a clean carfax, 43k miles, and the salesmen said they usually spend 1500 bucks to recondition used cars, but with this car, they only had to balance the tires. I didn't catch it on the test drive, must have not had the window down enough, but I heard it the following day when it warmed up and had the window all the way down. There is a rhythmic chirping noise coming from the engine only when the car is completely warmed up, and idling. If you give it a little throttle the chirp speeds up but goes away past 1k rpm.

I have a friend at work whos son is a ford tech at a dealership and he came out to the house to have a look. He only had his flashlight to try and feel where the sound was. He said preliminarily he felt it was coming from somewhere under the drivers side head, and mentioned it could possibly be a phaser issue. He also said it was not belt chirp. He recommended I go to the dealer I bought from in case of the powertrain not covering it, I'd have the limited warranty.

My previous mustang/coyote never made this noise, so I took it to the dealer and dropped it off Tuesday night, so they could check it first thing Wednesday. I got a call around 9am on Wednesday and the service person told me the tech said it's a normal operating noise. I told her I didn't believe that for a second and repeated the steps to reproduce it a 3rd time at this point. She said she would have them look again, and that she'd call me back. Never did, so I called back around 2pm today and asked if there was any news on the car. She said yesterday she went for a 2nd opinion, but evidently the tech didn't get to it. So she said they would call me back later today. Still no call back so far.

Has anyone had this issue, or have any recommendations? Thanks for your time.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
No CEL's??? I assume not...... I would suggest post a short vid that captures the sound and the assorted rhythms of it.

'Chirping' could be internal engine pressure build up and then it vents out after engine warmed up. An easy way to test this is to remove the oil dipstick. If no noise with dipstick removed, then you at least have somewhere to start, like maybe PCV system being obstructed somehow.

I once had a Supercharged Pontiac Bonneville SSEI, and I replaced the Eaton S/C with a rebuilt one. I applied to much silicone to the S/C base gasket and plugged up the PCV return port. That engine chirped like a bastard, LOL!! It was similar to yours, only after it warmed up. I took to dealer and they were baffled. Finally I noticed the oil dipstick was actually being blown partially out of its tube, and put 2 + 2 together. I figured it had to be a mistake I made with the new S/C install, so took it off and quickly saw my screw-up, doh.

Good luck, hope this helps..... please post results when discovered.

Booz

Established Member
The dealer still has the car. I guess the service writer went to a manager for a second opinion and she said that they were going to start up a comparable mustang on the lot to see if it makes the same noise.

Might seem stupid but I remember on my 14 if I used anything but the motorcraft oil filter, the engine was not happy. I found that out when I tried an amsoil filter once. The tech that gave the car an oil change at the dealership before I bought it, put an stp oil filter on it.

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
The dealer still has the car. I guess the service writer went to a manager for a second opinion and she said that they were going to start up a comparable mustang on the lot to see if it makes the same noise.

Might seem stupid but I remember on my 14 if I used anything but the motorcraft oil filter, the engine was not happy. I found that out when I tried an amsoil filter once. The tech that gave the car an oil change at the dealership before I bought it, put an stp oil filter on it.

Doesn't seem stupid, but it sure does seem odd. I remember one of the very few times I ever went to oil change joint, the next day I left on long trip and about 100 miles up the road the "Check Oil" light comes on. The oil filter had come loose and oil leaked out. But being the 'prepper' type that I am, I had extra oil in the trunk, so I reached under, tightened up the filter, added couple of quarts of oil, and drove the remaining 500 miles to destination.

Keep us posted on this issue. Good luck.

Booz

Established Member
Called them this morning after not receiving a call I was told Thursday night I would receive on Friday. My service advisor wasn't in today so I spoke with another and he told me it looks like they are going to have the car until the end of next week at least because the tech needs to do some tear down to try and identify the source of the noise, but that they still generally feel like it's a normal noise. Btw this is the exact same noise mine is making.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I just bought another s550 used about 6 months ago. Had a similar sound but intermittently turned out to be the alternator. If they don't do anything I would take the belt off n spin each pulley by hand. After that do a compression test, should have a good idea after that. That is definitely not normal.

Booz

Established Member
Monday evening they called me and told me they believe they diagnosed what's going on with the car, and thankfully powertrain is going to cover it. Going off memory, I believe the advisor said the tech wants to replace two phasers and bolts, two solenoids, timing chain tensioners and chain, and a couple gaskets they'd need to replace after taking off certain parts. She basically said it's a lot like a TSB they have out for the 18-19 engines with the sound. Down side is, some of the parts they need aren't expected to come off back order until the 15th of December, so it could take awhile to get this fixed. So now it's a waiting game.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Woohoo, nice! I mean, it's not nice that you have all these issues, but it's nice the dealer is taking care of it. :)

Good job, good luck, and thanks for posting. Please keep us apprised.

Booz

Established Member
So just realized I never got back to you guys post fix. Here are the sheets they gave me showing what they did.
Invoice 1.jpg
Invoice 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread