2016 Shelby GT350 will start at $47,870 MSRP, GT350R will start at $61,370 MSRP

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
We all understand what you're saying, any car can be used for any situation, definitely if you feel like putting money into it. But as I already said, this isn't the right tool for the drag strip. It's a track car. If you decide to take it beyond that then that's obviously your choice, it's your car. Doesn't mean we won't tell you it's stupid.

I would be willing to wager that this "track car" will find itself on more straight 1/4 mile tracks than road courses. This is the US, we are obsessed with straight line acceleration. That will never change. And, this car will be an impressive performer in a straight line.

Voltwings

Established Member
I would be willing to wager that this "track car" will find itself on more straight 1/4 mile tracks than road courses. This is the US, we are obsessed with straight line acceleration. That will never change. And, this car will be an impressive performer in a straight line.

More people track mustangs than you might think. Sure, probably 10x the number drag race, but there's always a handful of mustangs at every track weekend ive ever been to. Thats also because no mustang pre s197 was really any good on a road course, and these cars really started getting good with the S550.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
More people track mustangs than you might think. Sure, probably 10x the number drag race, but there's always a handful of mustangs at every track weekend ive ever been to. Thats also because no mustang pre s197 was really any good on a road course, and these cars really started getting good with the S550.
+1
I made a thread about the s197 5.0 vs sn95 terminator on the road course and only the die hard, never been on the road course Terminator guys kept replying with: "we need to see actual evidence" or "wait for someone with a Terminator that tracks it to respond".
I like to reference the fact that there werent any factory backed (that I know of) sn95 cars. They needed the help of griggs or agent47. Also, how few sn95 cars you see racing on TV (between '94-'04), where as the s197 is campaigned in multiple racing series.

I'm at Laguna and Sonoma about 4-5 times a year and never see the terminators or 94-04 mustangs. Its weird but I've seen Charger magnums, two of them in sonoma doing laps (one fried an engine), but never a terminator. Not saying they dont exist, its just something the car don't well in.

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member

Of course it will. Americans love drag racing. No idea why, it requires little talent. I'll stick to track racing.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Of course it will. Americans love drag racing. No idea why, it requires little talent. I'll stick to track racing.

Depending on what you are drag racing, getting the best possible slip can take lots of talent.

Depending on what you are drag racing, making it to the end can require some talent.

Most street cars, DCTs and autos do in fact require no talent.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
+1
I made a thread about the s197 5.0 vs sn95 terminator on the road course and only the die hard, never been on the road course Terminator guys kept replying with: "we need to see actual evidence" or "wait for someone with a Terminator that tracks it to respond".
I like to reference the fact that there werent any factory backed (that I know of) sn95 cars. They needed the help of griggs or agent47. Also, how few sn95 cars you see racing on TV (between '94-'04), where as the s197 is campaigned in multiple racing series.

I'm at Laguna and Sonoma about 4-5 times a year and never see the terminators or 94-04 mustangs. Its weird but I've seen Charger magnums, two of them in sonoma doing laps (one fried an engine), but never a terminator. Not saying they dont exist, its just something the car don't well in.

My fiance was running circles around a terminator in her '14 v6 lol. Granted her car is far from stock, and they're still in the beginner group so i have no doubt she was beating the driver more so than the car, but its still fun to ruffle some feathers ;)

GarageLogic

Established Member
f
The problem with the above is that yes, you will find a few around that you may be able to get for sticker or below. But it won't likely be a car that you would order specifically how you wanted it.

Untrue. I ordered my 2013 Boss exactly the way I wanted it in January and took delivery in May of the same year at MSRP.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
My fiance was running circles around a terminator in her '14 v6 lol. Granted her car is far from stock, and they're still in the beginner group so i have no doubt she was beating the driver more so than the car, but its still fun to ruffle some feathers ;)
I'm actually considering renting either an eco boost or v6 s550 and take it to sonoma or laguna... lol

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm actually considering renting either an eco boost or v6 s550 and take it to sonoma or laguna... lol

Im tempted to say the V6 just because i doubt the EB can handle the heat in stock form, though the gearing in a stock v6 makes it a bit of a dog. I think the S550 went up to a 3.15, but the S197 had a 2.73 stock ... 3rd gear @ 50 mph was less than 3k rpms. Useless. So one of the first mods we did was a good set of 3.55s.

At any rate, the S197 was awesome, so i imagine the S550 would be a blast, i say go for it man.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member

Yes, drag racing is for us ham fisted, knuckle dragging "talentless" Americans. I wonder how many passes it would take you to get an ET remotely close to an actual skilled drag racer. My guess is enough that you would quit before you got there. All forms of motorsport require talent and skill.

fast4v

Established Member
I'm a little confused. For the 2016/2017 gt350's once the dealers allocations have been sold is that it? Can some one walk in a order one.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I'm a little confused. For the 2016/2017 gt350's once the dealers allocations have been sold is that it? Can some one walk in a order one.

You would think so, as long as Ford hasn't built all it planned to build for the model year.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

That is it. But you are looking at 15k to 20k cars. They will be sitting on lots or on the internet before they are sold.

If a dealer is out of allocations they may try to earn more to order one for you. The best way is to find a dealer with allocation and order it straight from them how you want it.

69snake

Established Member
That is it. But you are looking at 15k to 20k cars. They will be sitting on lots or on the internet before they are sold.

If a dealer is out of allocations they may try to earn more to order one for you. The best way is to find a dealer with allocation and order it straight from them how you want it.

Dealers will always find you

Users who are viewing this thread