2016 SVT Mustang transmission

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Still waiting for Ford to release all the details on what should be a fantastic car. That said, I can't see the MT82 transmission being used behind whatever powerplant ends up being fitted into their "Top Dog." Apparently Ford thinks their "improved" MT82 will do just fine in the '15 Mustang GT but I highly suspect they won't roll the dice and try to use it behind an even more powerful engine.

The TR6060 was a pretty robust gearbox but with rising fuel economy standards I suspect that Ford may follow suit (such as Chevrolet did with their '14 Corvette) and take advantage of Tremecs latest iteration, the TR6070. Yes, a seven speed.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-6070.pdf

In "GM" form, the 6070 is 1.7" longer and almost 9lbs heavier than the 6060 that came before it. The upgraded powerplant (whatever it ends up being) in concert with the TR6070 may invoke yet another 1 piece carbon fiber driveshaft from Ford as well. It would make sense from a durability standpoint (the CF shaft) as well as a weight savings to counter the slightly heavier 6070 (vs the 6060).

Either way, I hope that Ford has addressed the remote shifter woes - finally.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Right there with you, I am really hoping the next svt car has lots of good sound improvements because I will likely want one along with my current car.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Most have been focusing on engine rumors but I'm just as interested in the rest of the driveline be it transmission/clutch, driveshaft, or the IRS out back.

I'd assume that the most potent pony in '16 would utilize a beefier differential, half shafts, brakes, etc. A one piece CF driveshaft should be a given. But an MT82...instant facepalm.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
What about paddle shifters? I have a feeling that they will at least have an option for paddles so it can fight the likes of the new Z06 and the GTR.

04svtsnke

Established Member
What about paddle shifters? I have a feeling that they will at least have an option for paddles so it can fight the likes of the new Z06 and the GTR.

Interesting you say that. They're already offering it with the lesser models. It wouldn't be too hard to add a few upgrades and put paddle shifters in. Hopefully this will be an option.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I am big fan of rowing my own gears, however if they really wanna compete with some other makers, then yea high performance auto should be an option.

As long as they keep the weight around 3700lbs, it will be better than the current shelby. Plus weight balance is important too

14GT500Robert

Established Member
I was thinking a paddle shift auto option is a given at this point , but with the Z28 a stick only who knows.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
who gives a crap about the z28? thats a marketing ploy, they are not building many for the purpose of being collectors items only. How fast it laps the 'Ring means squat when most will sit in garages.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
who gives a crap about the z28? thats a marketing ploy, they are not building many for the purpose of being collectors items only. How fast it laps the 'Ring means squat when most will sit in garages.

Cobras have been stick only for the last 20 years so it will be a real deviation from their branding to offer any sort of auto.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Tremec for sure, but the 6spd version. At least to start.

That's why I'm saving my deposit for a few years. Hopefully around 2017/18 they'll have made the first revision and added the auto and 7 speed( my choice being the seven speed). Playing devils advocate, if the halo car does indeed come with a TT 5.?, would you guys get the paddle-shifted auto or the 6/7 speed?

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
That's why I'm saving my deposit for a few years. Hopefully around 2017/18 they'll have made the first revision and added the auto and 7 speed( my choice being the seven speed). Playing devils advocate, if the halo car does indeed come with a TT 5.?, would you guys get the paddle-shifted auto or the 6/7 speed?

The car would perform better with the auto if it is a TT.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think the point is being missed. The GT will get a six speed, albeit the weak kneed version. El numero uno, whether an auto is available or not, will only come with one manual transmission. Ford will continue to move forward and follow Chevy's lead - the seven speed awaits!

How could it not have this, when GM has it?

The seven-speed manual incorporates active rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature can be easily engaged or disengaged via paddles on the steering wheel. The seven-speed is used with a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia. The transmission with the Z51 Performance Package includes specific close-ratio gearing for more aggressive driving.

“Active Rev Matching makes the new Corvette easier and more fun to drive in performance conditions,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “It anticipates the next gear selection and electronically ‘blips’ the throttle to match engine speed for a seamless gear change.”

NametoShowOther

Established Member
I think the point is being missed. The GT will get a six speed, albeit the weak kneed version. El numero uno, whether an auto is available or not, will only come with one manual transmission. Ford will continue to move forward and follow Chevy's lead - the seven speed awaits!

I agree with your analysis,

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

I give gm all the credit in the world for being the only one that is actively improving the mt while others are eliminating it.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

I agree with you, but it's not always as simple as just because someone else has it means we can have it. The Viper, which starts at $100 grand doesn't even have the 7spd tremec or the rev matching feature. Programming costs was the biggest reason for the second one. GM will almost certainly use this tranny in the new camaro/CTSV (all V8 models, not just the top of the line), which will give them a lot more scale than just a lone, limited SVT variant.

For all we know GM could have exclusive rights to the 7spd for a period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread