EditorTurner

Established Member
0-2017-F-150-Raptor-Tires-Featured.jpg

Truck Traction
Ford details the performance tires that let the new Raptor dig its claws in
By Steve Turner
Photos by Ford Motor Company

As we await the arrival of the 2017 F-150 Raptor, Ford is slowly giving us more details about this next-gen performance truck. We know it will be lighter and faster than its predecessor, but we don’t know quite how much power it will make just yet. We do know it will produce more than the last version of the truck and to help put down that power it has a unique set of tires. Today Ford released details and video about the truck’s unique rubber.

“Raptor’s all-new BFGoodrich all-terrain T/A KO2 tires were developed in parallel with the truck’s chassis, so as the platform developed, the tires changed along with it,” says the company. “Ford and BFGoodrich engineers went through more than a dozen variations to ensure the tires matched the extreme performance expected from Raptor. Hundreds of hours were spent using computer simulations to predict how the tires would react in real-world driving situations.”

Watch the Raptor and its tires in the real world right here…

[video=youtube;a5CanDJDFi0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5CanDJDFi0[/video]

As we know, Ford Performance partnered with Michelin and its sister company BFGoodrich to develop high-performance tires specifically for its vehicles. The BFG Raptor tires feature a tread pattern with an optimized contact patch that puts more tread on the ground for better traction, while its large sidewall lugs help dig in off-road. Meanwhile, the tires steel and nylon internal belts are set to improve ride quality on the street.

These tires have also proven themselves on Ford’s racing Raptor in the Best in the Desert series.

1-2017-F-150-Raptor-Tires.jpg

The BFGoodrich all-terrain T/A KO2 tires on the new Raptor were developed specifically for this truck and developed right alongside the vehicle.

2-2017-F-150-Raptor-Tires.jpg

Ford put together this handy infographic detailing the highlights of the Raptor’s BFG T/A KO2 tires.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They are taking forever to release HP/TQ specs.

They don't want to make you 6.2 guys cry. :D

I used to be a big fan of the BFG KOs (bought about 10 sets over the years) until I had an issue with my last set and then had a superb experience with some Cooper ST Maxx tires. I haven't tried the KO2s yet though, so I'm really interested to see what difference the improvments make.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
They don't want to make you 6.2 guys cry. :D

I used to be a big fan of the BFG KOs (bought about 10 sets over the years) until I had an issue with my last set and then had a superb experience with some Cooper ST Maxx tires. I haven't tried the KO2s yet though, so I'm really interested to see what difference the improvements make.

LOL I won't cry. :D My stock BFGs were good while they lasted.

I may end up trading in since my 2012 is full of rust somehow.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The KO2's are really nice.

1. Looks
2. Have gotten "stuck" less in 2wd in multiple terrain.
3. Just as quiet on the highway.
4. Even with the 35" tire and the E rating, it's still quite smooth.

As for rust, yea these trucks show rust easily. Mines a Florida truck, but it has more rust than my parents 2000 Excursion. Mostly surface rust, but still unpleasant to see on a 2012. Damn hitch looked like it sat in salt. Luckily, my damn rockers look like rust hasn't made it's way there.

Curious about the HP/TRQ too.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Interesting. When contemplating my next SVT product this new Raptor will get heavy consideration. It's much more usable up here in Colorado vs Ford's next mega Mustang.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Interesting. When contemplating my next SVT product this new Raptor will get heavy consideration. It's much more usable up here in Colorado vs Ford's next mega Mustang.

Except the Raptor is no longer SVT.

I'd have to get new plates since mine say 6.2 SVT.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Except the Raptor is no longer SVT.

I'd have to get new plates since mine say 6.2 SVT.

It'll be interesting finding the hidden SVT markings on it. I remember first talking to people about the new one about four years ago.

On another interesting note, there seems to be a groundswell of internal support in Ford to return to the old school SVT model (ala the Coletti era).

Users who are viewing this thread