2017 Total Solar Eclipse Discussion

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
2024 my house will be in the totality. That gives me 7 years to put something together

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't see the big deal. I ventured outside for about 15 seconds to take a look and sure as shit the moon was in front of the sun just like they said it would be. 5/10, would not recommend.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
No, I was in DC with a billion other idiots packing the sidewalks all gawking at the sky. It was also hot and humid as shit. That probably had more to do with my annoyance than the actual event.

Oh, ya. I didn't go outside to see the partial here. It was only around 60% or so. 100% is supposed to be completely different than 99.9%.

Kiohtee

Established Member
You can watch what 100% looked like on YouTube, then compare it to your 99.99% or less experience. It was dramatically different.

Still in awe and grateful I was able to experience 96%.

Jefe

Established Member
Check out this timelapse video from 35,000 feet:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYEoN9uhqj8/

Only partial in AZ but the 10 degree temperature drop was really cool. Snapped 1 cell pic and got really lucky with the lens flare:

ipokmw1ebw66v6i6g.jpg

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't believe I missed this whole thread. Tell me some of you looked at the shadows on the ground? It was most evident on concrete, but any shadow from any tree (or anything else) shows mini-eclipse shapes for the course fo the entire event. Tell me you guys didn't miss that!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I can't believe I missed this whole thread. Tell me some of you looked at the shadows on the ground? It was most evident on concrete, but any shadow from any tree (or anything else) shows mini-eclipse shapes for the course fo the entire event. Tell me you guys didn't miss that!

I can't say I exactly noticed that, but I had read about how just before and after totality, the atmosphere plays tricks with the light and makes shadows "dance". Right after totality I made sure we turned around to see this, we were on concrete and it was like fast moving waves of light on the concrete and they made the edge of our shadows move as they hit it. Not as awesome as the actual eclipse, but a nice little bonus effect to witness.

Jefe

Established Member
I didnt but I saw friends posting pictures like this

shadow2_mini1.jpg

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Found this pic below while looking around on google. This is the closest I've seen that actually shows what I thought it looked like IRL. Haven't seen a video yet that does it justice.

636389445401963204-eclipsecorona.png

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I didnt but I saw friends posting pictures like this

shadow2_mini1.jpg
That's the effect! And as the evvent progressed, you could see the orientation of the crescents change. Ironically, one of the best ways to observe the event was not by looking at the sky, but the shadows on the ground. Because everyone could do that with no special glasses or any other equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread