2018 Coyote swap

bj928

Established Member
its a 1968 ford transit, engine at present is 1500cc v4, the pic is in germany, but it lands in the UK tomorrow (friday), i work in america 7 months of the year, this is going to be my toy for my home time, got a lot of plans for it.

do you know the part numbers for the mustang GT 2018 cams i need to change the f150 ones,

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
its a 1968 ford transit, engine at present is 1500cc v4, the pic is in germany, but it lands in the UK tomorrow (friday), i work in america 7 months of the year, this is going to be my toy for my home time, got a lot of plans for it.

do you know the part numbers for the mustang GT 2018 cams i need to change the f150 ones,
part 6250. be sure to specify it is for gen 3 mustang and not f150
cams.PNG

bj928

Established Member
i saw them, and its the same part number for the gen2 engine, but seems to be year specific, not to bad money, was surprised, does the ecu need buying new, or used, is a new one realistic pricing, does the mass air plug into the f150 harness, and by changing the ecu and cams, does that make the firing order mustang, or does it still require a tune to all work together.

KingBlack

Established Member
I would probably suggest buying the ecu last. For 1, they are constantly being updated and 2 they get cheaper over time. the cams does change the firing order, and if using the mustang ecu it wouldn't need a tune for basic stock operation

bj928

Established Member
did you work out if the CJ will fit the 2018, i've been watching a couple of 18 f150's go through the salvage auctions, and the major wrecks are fetching no money, even less if they are 4wd, so i think thats the route i will go, and next year start tuning properly, get it bought, fitted and running, as an f150 engine, and get the parts needed to convert to mustang next year will in america working again, you said early on about the f150 not having mass air, can that be added to the harness easy enough, or isn't it needed

bj928

Established Member
well, i bought this 2018 F150 5.0 today, so i now have a 2018 coyote, not collected it yet, hoping there isn't to much damage to engine, maybe just a pipe or 2, maybe brackets broken, will find out once i pick it up and get everything in front of engine out the way.

Attachments

• resizer.jpg
    resizer.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 325

KingBlack

Established Member
did you work out if the CJ will fit the 2018, i've been watching a couple of 18 f150's go through the salvage auctions, and the major wrecks are fetching no money, even less if they are 4wd, so i think thats the route i will go, and next year start tuning properly, get it bought, fitted and running, as an f150 engine, and get the parts needed to convert to mustang next year will in america working again, you said early on about the f150 not having mass air, can that be added to the harness easy enough, or isn't it needed

Hi again,

yes they can be converted to run mustang ecu with the cam swap, and oil and water pump changes. pretty simple stuff

KingBlack

Established Member
well, i bought this 2018 F150 5.0 today, so i now have a 2018 coyote, not collected it yet, hoping there isn't to much damage to engine, maybe just a pipe or 2, maybe brackets broken, will find out once i pick it up and get everything in front of engine out the way.

congrats on the purchase. the Cobra Jet on the 18+ motor is not issue at all, the real issue is the space you have to work within. I'm in the process of building a MASSIVE coyote knowledge base. I have one aspect started now, dealing with intake manifolds here:
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...sis-serious-discussion.1165229/#post-16007654

bj928

Established Member
thanks for the replies, if its taken a good hit to the front and damaged the front cover of the engine, i will go straight to mustang parts you say need to be changed to go mustang spec, as the engine and vehicle its going in will be part show vehicle, but mostly track and daily drive, i like the idea of the CJ intake if only for the look, not been a fan of the Boss intake, when it all goes mustang, can the ecu not me mapped to mustang spec, or do i have to get a new mustang ecu, and when it comes to tuning, is nguage or sct better,

some people say our uk fuel is better than american fuel, so will it need tuning for my available fuel, i would love to run E85, but its not available in the UK, but i live just across the channel from france, and its available there and i have to look into how much i can bring in if i go buy a few hundred liters at a time, they might only let me bring a couple of hundred at a time.

KingBlack

Established Member
not a bad price. if you've got the time and space sale the doors etc to recoup your cash. the mustang cam and intake should only run you 750ish usd and doing that opens you to a world of parts that wouldnt be fully supported by the F150 configuration as easily as iot is supported by the mustang. then again, 400hp/400 tq at the wheels would be crazy fast in that transit if it is as light as i think it is.

btw e85 doesn't store very well, so i wouldn't stockpile too much of it

bj928

Established Member
useful to know about the E85, maybe have a tune and get some when i need it, to see what a difference it makes, the transit weighs about 1300kg (2860lbs), maybe a little more with the mustang irs and the v8, although the v8 might not be much heavier then the v4 thats stock. depending on damage and if i can get it running as is, i will use it to get mounts and pipework sorted, and mock everything i can, then look at mustang spec and CJ next year while the van is being restored, the plan is rebuild engine for twin turbo, so i guess its better to be full mustang before turboing, because of wanting to go mustang spec and twin turbo build, thats why i wasn't to bothered about the trucks damage, also, as the truck is 2/4wd i can run it in 2wd for now, but look into making it 4wd in the future.

KingBlack

Established Member
good info.

so the first question you should answer honestly and truthfully, what is the purpose/goal of this build? the twin turbos may not be necessary depending on the goal, and you may be able to save a ton of cash

bj928

Established Member
i have a friend who is using a v10 gen3 dodge viper engine in a ford sierra (same as the Merkur xr4ti USA), he has it in the 10's just, for 1 i want to better his times, and the other is that there are a few vw's in uk/europe running audi or Porsche engine in vans in the 750hp area, i want to put ford at the top spot, so i need to be north of 750hp, can i even get north of 750hp and it still be street drivable, i see lots of mustangs north of 1000hp, but how drivable are they, or are they built with just 1/4 times in mind.

bj928

Established Member
also, a lot of people in the uk tis the american engines and say the power figure are different to uk figures, and are boat ankers, i would love to educate as to how good the coyote is and have an engine to prove they are the way forward, better than the euro engines

KingBlack

Established Member
Glad I asked! In a word: Easy
no need to do rods or pistons, just a 2018 Whipple F150 kit. Hell, you wouldn't even need to change the cams! The Undertaker is running the streets with his set up...and you'd be almost 2000 pounds less....holy crap, 9's for sure with AWD

bj928

Established Member
i personally prefer supercharger, but i feel for track fun i would get to much heat soak, street and 1/4 mile i think supercharger would be great, but i plan to run it on track days and some events where it would i think get to much heat soak, and also with the turbos, its easier to upgrade late if i want more power, can you buy just the supercharger with an intake, everything i see is a complete kit for a specific vehicle, but as mine is a custom install, most the kit is of no use.

KingBlack

Established Member
cool. that suggestion is just to let you know what's possible. I'd say build a custom single turbo kit. single > twin for hp, and at 2900 pounds you dont really need 2 smaller turbos to spool up to get that transit moving.

btw did you look at the intake manifold analysis?

bj928

Established Member
was that the link u put up earlier, i had a quick look, but it wad difficult going through it on phone, now home, so will look again, or do you mean the article about the different intakes that was tested on a coyote with different cams

KingBlack

Established Member
no, it was the link i had up. I have more content on engine dimensions, material fatigue, largest cams for non interference and more. just need to do some polishing

Users who are viewing this thread