2018 F-150 Is Here - Diesel Inside

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Patiently awaiting power numbers on the diesel.

No official numbers yet, but a version of the Lion 3.0 makes 271HP anf 440 lbft in Europe. My question is why aren't they using the 3.2L I-5 Powerstroke from the Transit?

No I don't. I just don't know who is buying these.

That said, I have seen a total of maybe 3 EcoDiesels since they've been out. I have yet to see an XD except at the dealer.

The Ram EcoDiesel has sold far beyond FCA's expectations.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billvis...l-pickup-ram-still-cant-deliver/#34d7d3c11cfe

I'm either blind, illiterate or there were no numbers for the 5.0L.

Interested in the diesel as well.

No official numbers yet, but we'll probably get a few details on the changes from the 2018 Mustang PR info.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Man I really like the grille on the blue truck.

I'm anxious to see exactly what changes they are making to the 5.0L. Can't wait for that PR info

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
light duty diesels in fullsized pickup trucks have higher cost of ownership than gassers even with the mpg advantage.

That will continue to be the case until diesel fuel prices drop significantly and/or the EPA relaxes the NOx and particulate matter levels.

Also, as much as i hate the ecoboost 3.5l it will run circles around the dodge ecodiesel or any other small diesel for that matter. The gen 2 ecoboost has 450lb-ft stock, a 100+ hp advantage and you dont have to buy expensive adblue DEF fluids.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The Ram Diesels are hard to differentiate on the streets but I see a lot of Titan diesels and know someone who owns one. Truth is, that the manufacturers study these things before they put them into production. Diesel half tons coming out in just these past couple years from multiple brands means there is a trend taking place and each are looking to fill it.

I had friends from the military text me last night about this truck in a group chat before I even heard about it. They are interested in it and are basically guys in their mid 20s, married, and who live in the suburbs and work government or city jobs, dont have a huge amount to tow but carry things in their trucks regularly. They prefer a diesel but what they do carry doesn't warrant them buying an F250 or F350 so this fits them well. Those are the types that will be buying these if you are wondering who buys them.

Sent from my SM-G925P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I'm not disagreeing with you, they wouldn't build it if there weren't buyers. I have just not seen many of these trucks at all or met anyone that owns one or wants to buy one. Maybe the reason is that I don't live in an area like that. The EcoBoost seems like a much better option for what you're describing.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
light duty diesels in fullsized pickup trucks have higher cost of ownership than gassers even with the mpg advantage.

That will continue to be the case until diesel fuel prices drop significantly and/or the EPA relaxes the NOx and particulate matter levels.

Also, as much as i hate the ecoboost 3.5l it will run circles around the dodge ecodiesel or any other small diesel for that matter. The gen 2 ecoboost has 450lb-ft stock, a 100+ hp advantage and you dont have to buy expensive adblue DEF fluids.

The 3.5 EcoBoost is the top dog engine. That's not where the diesel is going to slot. Performance wise I expect it to be a bit under the 2.7L EB (an already under rated engine). If Ford can keep the option price around $3,000 (probably will be a bit over $3,500) it will to well. In an HE model I could see it knocking down 35mpg.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The only way I could see myself wanting the diesel version of this truck is if it had at least 300hp. The ecodiesel is an absolute turd.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The only way I could see myself wanting the diesel version of this truck is if it had at least 300hp. The ecodiesel is an absolute turd.

It comes with 270 hp and 440 ft. lbs. in the land rovers. I'm hoping for a bit of a power bump myself, but with SID guessing the diesel will be the "less capable" option compared to the 3.5 ecoboost, i'm not sure how much of a bump it will get. Its definitely going to be the mpg king, both loaded and unloaded.

I'm hoping for the diesel to be top dog with towing/hauling, but i'm sure it will purposefully be under-rated to keep the ecoboost mantra going. I wish Ford pushed diesel cars more, but for whatever reason this country doesn't like them, even though they are far more fuel efficient.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wish Ford pushed diesel cars more, but for whatever reason this country doesn't like them, even though they are far more fuel efficient.

I used to wish the same thing, but I think it's actually a tall order to make the buyer and the EPA happy when it comes to diesels.

VW found out the hard way lol.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I used to wish the same thing, but I think it's actually a tall order to make the buyer and the EPA happy when it comes to diesels.

VW found out the hard way lol.

I think a hybrid diesel option would interest the general population more. The hybrid's electric motors would provide the off-the-line acceleration a lot of diesels lack compared to a gas engine, and gets better mpg cruising.

I'm not a huge fan of hybrids, mostly with how the minerals for the batteries are mined in other countries yet gets crammed down our throats as "green," but a diesel hybrid would "fix" a lot of the shortcomings.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
definitely wait that extra year if your '12 is running strong.

my 12 is fine with about 67k on it but Id like to get rid of it while it still has pretty decent value. We just migh take the wife's car on the next couple road trips instead.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh I can't wait to pick up a '19 3.5EB to replace my '15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
You're not gonna wait for the 2020 hybrid? What if it has 1000 tq?

Not a hybrid fan.

You can't wait to replace your year old truck?

Yes! Why? More power, better sync system, 36 gallon fuel tank standard with the Max Tow, and that 10 speed auto.

Gravik

Established Member
Now ford just needs to be a champ and offer leather Interior in all models.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread