2018 Twin turbo build

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you fire her up Dom?

I sure did. It lives.

Good news is 0 leaks of any kind.... exhaust, oil (shit loads of new oil lines and fittings on this install), or coolant.

Bad news is it won’t run on the current NA tune with the 3” upper intercooler pipe.

I pulled it off and re installed the stock air intake and it runs perfectly.

Moral of story.... need to get her tuned like ASAP. I’ll pay Lund Monday and get it going.

I’ll try and get a quick video up tomorrow...she sounds awesome!

MG0h3

Established Member
I sure did. It lives.

Good news is 0 leaks of any kind.... exhaust, oil (shit loads of new oil lines and fittings on this install), or coolant.

Bad news is it won’t run on the current NA tune with the 3” upper intercooler pipe.

I pulled it off and re installed the stock air intake and it runs perfectly.

Moral of story.... need to get her tuned like ASAP. I’ll pay Lund Monday and get it going.

I’ll try and get a quick video up tomorrow...she sounds awesome!
Love it. Glad you know what you're doing.

Cant wait for the kill stories.

Waxed a base C7 vette today. Like blurry in the rear view waxed.

I'll end up turbo one day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Impressive!

My mom drives a manual trans c7. That car is fast. Probably traps damn near 120 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Well the bragging rights are lame since I should be just shy of 700rwhp.

My 80-120 in 3rd os stupid with this 40* air.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Some more updates. Tune has been paid for and I got the base file today. I won’t be able to start logging yet though until I tie up some loose ends.

Started installing injectors today and also removed manifold to install IMRC lock outs.

Lock outs arrive Friday so I will be buttoned up by then and will being the logging/tuning process.

Getting rid of the IMRCs will clean up the back of the intake nicely getting rid of the vacuum canisters.

Butterflies will be locked into the open position with the MMR kit.
Few pics.

8-CBE3537-25-C7-41-A8-98-DE-C69755-D0-CDE7.jpg

91355591-A59-A-4-FEE-90-A7-EF546-EC6-B792.jpg

B5-B79-D33-F2-E6-4-B5-D-8-D97-1-F161-CC7740-D.jpg

BC4-E749-D-21-E6-455-E-9509-6744-BE0-ED4-D2.jpg

D63-A4339-FBC6-4-A78-A922-6-F5485-F501-E2.jpg

1-B513-C9-B-82-E2-4-EA6-ACFF-9-B418-EEFF718.jpg

6-DCB0282-A2-D6-40-E1-880-C-D3-DF18-A825-BB.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
Coming right along. Any plans to do an aftermarket intake that comes with the IMRC?

You may have mentioned it earlier on but why did you opt for the low mount. Sleeper look?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Coming right along. Any plans to do an aftermarket intake that comes with the IMRC?

You may have mentioned it earlier on but why did you opt for the low mount. Sleeper look?

Nah probably just keep the stock intake for now.

I went low mount because I didn’t want to have to deal with re routing the AC lines and and re locating the fuse box and ECM.

As far as I am into this thing though as far as overall work and tear down, it wouldn’t have mattered either way lol.

Could have gone with CG Fab top mount and probably had same amount of work.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hope not, I mean the Turbo’s are just like strange looking cats anyway :)
That 10R trans should make this a killer combo, can’t wait to see if it does it all well, as I’m expecting.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
@gimmie11s, does that stupid new California exhaust law affect you at all?

In CA, new cars aren't smogged for the first 7 years after purchase (usually). That is the how the law is written, but that's not to say that some folks don't get popped the year after they buy a new car... rare, but it happens.

Also.. like everything.. there are workarounds when you do need to get smog checked; and I have quite a few. :)

As far as the exhaust.. im sure it would, but probably not now that my car will likely be as quiet or quieter than stock.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Congrats on nearing the end! Can’t wait to see and hear more. Good lord you’re going to hurt some feelings. What’s your estimate of what she’ll run at the track?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on nearing the end! Can’t wait to see and hear more. Good lord you’re going to hurt some feelings. What’s your estimate of what she’ll run at the track?

I’m getting pumped!! The end is near.

Check this guys car out. He has the LPF kit which is very similar to mine although the the exhaust side flows a little worse than mine. Also his turbos are smaller. They’re 62mm and mine are 67mm.

New PB in my LPF TT 2018 Mustang

He went 9.0x at 153 mph on 11 psi. If he’s telling the truth about boost, that is INSANE mph for such low boost.

Mine won’t ET as well as his because our track prep sucks out here, but I don’t know why I wouldn’t trap high 140s or better running mid-high 9’s.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I read that thread and it’s amazing performance. My question would be how is he measuring boost? It almost seems unbelievable for less than 11psi. Boost is just a measure of restriction and these engines flow really well. Twins on a crazy efficient small motor with a 10-speed Auto could change some things, but these are still street cars on the heavy side.
Only one way to find out, and that’s you buddy! Keep on rolling.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I read that thread and it’s amazing performance. My question would be how is he measuring boost? It almost seems unbelievable for less than 11psi. Boost is just a measure of restriction and these engines flow really well. Twins on a crazy efficient small motor with a 10-speed Auto could change some things, but these are still street cars on the heavy side.
Only one way to find out, and that’s you buddy! Keep on rolling.
-J

Im definitely skeptical of the boost pressure. Im more inclined to assume he was at 14 or 15 psi.

That said, there have been several Whipple 2018 cars that have made 850+ to the wheels on 12 psi.

The turbos are more efficient so they should make more power, but 153 mph is going to require like 950+ so we are back to the original question... 11 psi??? lol.

I don't think so, but like you said... we'll know soon enough!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Alright a few updates. Car is 98% there. I still have the front bumper cover off because ive changed oil return line set up/routing a few times and still not sure im happy with it. Also the pump is LOUD and thinking about replacing it with a pump with helical cut gears vs the straight cuts in this pump.

Im in the middle of tuning now. Sending logs and receiving revisions. Think im on revision 3 or 4 as of today. Trouble is I wont be able to mess with it until Friday... getting ready to fly to Denver for the week in a few hours.

Got a quick start up video and walk around.... link below. She sounds soooo good! Little hints of turbo whistle through the stock mufflers too.

On revision 3 of the tuning process, I was able to go WOT for the first time and HOLY SHIT is this car fast. The Tial gates have 5 psi springs in them but im only seeing ~3.7 or so psi on the springs. It breaks the tires loose from a 4th gear roll on 3.7 psi hahahaha. This car is going to be stupid fast at 10 psi.

Finished up my boost "scramble" switch lol. Car is going to run on gate springs, then when I hit this switch, i'll get my second boost setting which will be ~10 psi. Came out awesome!

Couple pics.

14-E43-D38-13-C4-42-CB-A207-1-E22-B8-F2-ABE3.jpg

373319-E3-C257-4-DAE-B4-CF-F48-AC871593-B.jpg

74-C46986-3-FF6-4-B6-D-A730-97-A50621-DE44.jpg

797321-E7-12-C7-443-F-BF83-334192-C197-B1.jpg

7-BDFB3-C9-E293-411-F-8576-65-BD03545625.jpg

F12-AA1-A3-9-D5-B-4-DF6-BE08-9-BBC962-FD327.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread