2020 2.3L High Performance Package Mustang | Stepped-Up Styling and Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 2.3L High Performance Package Mustang | Stepped-Up Styling and Power

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_052.jpg

Technological progression can be a wonderful thing. When the 2.3L EcoBoost Mustang debuted for the 2015 model year, it’s performance potential surprised quite a few people. The all-aluminum mill came packed with a forged crank, steel ring-land in the pistons, and was topped off with a twin-scroll turbo. With basic mods we had our EB Mustang making 340HP and 440TQ to the wheels. That car could certainly surprise the occasional 3V GT.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_009.jpg

Ford wanted to make sure the world knows this car isn't just another base model Mustang.

Not wanting to be left out of go-fast game, Ford worked up a High Performance package for its base 2.3L Pony Car. This package is much more than a revised ECU strategy and some badges. Team Mustang made the trip across town to the Ford Performance garage to raid the Focus RS parts bin. They essentially snatched the entire engine. The die-cast aluminum block and high flowing cylinder head were modified and turned 90-degrees in order to drive the rear wheels. That’s all boosted by a larger 63mm water cooled twin-scroll turbo. The upgraded snail gives the engine a broader powerband that tops out at 330 Horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_001.jpg

We got to spin the rollers on the dyno at 5 Star Tuning. Check out this video for results:

We recently got to spend a week with a fairly heavily optioned 2020 EcoBoost Mustang with the High Performance package. This thing was loaded up with the performance suspension package, Recaro seats, and the premium interior. That brought the sticker price up to an eye watering $43,165. The major options were priced as follows:

• Equipment Group 201A - $2,200
  • 2.3L High Performance Package - $4,995
  • EcoBoost Handling Package - $1,195
  • Recaro Seats - $1,995

However, for that princely sum you do get a very nice car. IMO, the S550 interior has aged much better than previous generation Mustangs; and the higher trim-level versions are nice place to sit during a road trip.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_012.jpg

The wheels included with the EcoBoost Handling Package are a toned down version of those found on the Performance Pack Level 2 GT.

The EcoBoost Handling Package, which is only available with the High Performance Package and a manual transmission, brings a lot of driving excitement to the party. I’ve said it for years, the EcoBoost Mustangs offer a much more balanced driving dynamic than the V8 equipped models. This can be seen in this particular car’s 53/47 weight distribution. The handling pack gives you grippier semi-metallic brake pads, MagneRide dampers with a TORSEN 3.55:1 limited-slip rear differential, wider 19x9.5-inch premium painted aluminum wheels with 265/40R Pirelli P Zero Corsa4 tires, and a 24-millimeter solid rear sway bar. All this adds up to a competently handling car that is very comfortable to push into a corner, and has a broad enough torque curve to rotate around the turn.

Nothing like a test drive to sort things out. This car is great out on the road.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_016.jpg

The 2.3L engine from the no-longer-sold Focus RS is the center piece of the High Performance package.

On the road, this car’s combination of options add up to a great daily driver. It has the ability to soften the suspension and quiet the exhaust enough to be entirely civilized when it’s called for, but when the opportunity to relieve a little stress presents itself you’re just a switch flips away from Track Mode. You have a really great looking car that gets about 30 MPG on the highway while still being extremely fun in the twisties. If you ever get the opportunity to take a Mustang equipped like this one to the mountains and stretch its legs on a two-lane road, take it.

Ever wonder what the various exhaust modes sound like on an EcoBoost Mustang sound like? Here's your opportunity.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_017.jpg

The 63mm turbo is a solid upgrade over the standard 57mm unit. It is also water-cooled, which if you watch the dyno video above you may notice how important that is.

On the topic of styling, Ford gave the High Performance EcoBoost cars a few subtle cues that set them apart from the standard 4-pot cars. The side-view mirrors and raised blade spoiler are painted magnetic grey. The grills are finished in piano black and you get the Mustang GT brake package. The designers also made sure you wouldn’t forget what you were driving by providing a generous number of High Performance EcoBoost badges. On the interior we have a ton of blue stitching matching the awesome looking Velocity Blue paint.

This overview shows the highlights of this feature packed 2020 Mustang.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_025.jpg

The blue stitching found throughout the interior is a really nice touch and matches the Velocity Blue paint perfectly.

While this likely may not be the Mustang that every SVTP Member is planning to rush out and buy, it is a very fun and stylish car. Yes, it does pale in comparison to Coyote powered GT. However, if you need to save on fuel or insurance this car may be a good option for you. You get impressive styling and handling along with a decent bump in performance. If you love turbo-fours and serious up-side aftermarket power potential the High Performance EcoBoost Mustang is a solid choice. With just a few bolt-ons you could be cranking out 350 RWHP and 450 RWTQ, and that’s performance you will feel.

Our final thoughts on the 2020 2.3L High Performance Package Mustang. A solid choice if you're not interested in a Coyote GT.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_020.jpg

Another HP 2.3L badge. It's great to see Ford installing this strut tower base after we tested it out 5 years ago.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_034.jpg

This car had the worst MT-82 trans I've ever driven. I have a feeling one of the press drivers who had it before me had no idea how to drive a stick and somehow damaged it.

2020_EcoBoost_HP_Mustang_053.jpg

This is easily one of the best colors you can get on an S550 Mustang. Velocity Blue looks especially good with Magnetic grey painted mirrors and spoiler.

-SID297

Last edited:
most of that is the dollar being devalued and the quality going way up. its essentially a baby GT350 with a focus RS engine so around 40K makes sense.

I mostly agree, but I think it's too much to throw the GT350 nameplate in there. It's more in line with a basic performance pack GT. Would be nice if it was a bit edgier. However, you can get the HPP without the PP suspension.

I mostly agree, but I think it's too much to throw the GT350 nameplate in there. It's more in line with a basic performance pack GT. Would be nice if it was a bit edgier. However, you can get the HPP without the PP suspension.

GT350 is just a GT with a body kit and different engine. modern cobra.

@Makobra, saying that the GT-350 just a Mustang GT with a body kit and a different engine is definitely simplistic. A HiPo EB is also not a baby GT-350. They've very different. The engineering that goes into the GT-350 is very different from what goes into a HiPo EB Mustang. The engineering steps up higher in the GT-500.

@Makobra, saying that the GT-350 just a Mustang GT with a body kit and a different engine is definitely simplistic. A HiPo EB is also not a baby GT-350. They've very different. The engineering that goes into the GT-350 is very different from what goes into a HiPo EB Mustang. The engineering steps up higher in the GT-500.

in what way is it different other than the front end, engine, wheel options, and maybe the brakes?

Are you serious? Man, you need to take some time to study these models a bit more to know the differences. Wow!

to the contrary the reason i said what i said is because i'm very familiar with the GT350. I was asking on the off chance you knew of a difference other than the ones i listed and from the sound of it I have my answer...

GT350 is just a GT with a body kit and different engine. modern cobra.

Engine, transmission, dampers, springs, sway bars, Mag-ride Calibration, aero package, exhaust, misc CRP items.....yeah its not even close.

And the Cobra was NEVER close to a GT. It literally had different body seam, engine, transmission, suspension, rear end, interior, sail panels, bumpers, skirts, exhaust and misc interior items. Even the stupid airbag was different from the 1999-2004 Cobra to the 1999-2004 GT.

Even the 1999-2001 Cobra was vastly different than the 2003-2004 Cobra that they cannot even be called the same car.

Last edited:
Engine, transmission, dampers, springs, sway bars, Mag-ride Calibration, aero package, exhaust, misc CRP items.....yeah its not even close.

so, i mentioned drivetrain and aero, exhaust is obvious... so the difference otehr than the stuff i mentioned is like some sway bars, springs, and a software update.

oh and some badges.

bolt on parts. nothing substantial. got it. thanks.

And the Cobra was NEVER close to a GT. It literally had different body seams, engine, transmission, suspension, rear end, interior, sail panels, bumpers, skirts, exhaust and misc interior items. Even the stupid airbag was different from the 1999-2004 Cobra to the 1999-2004 GT.

Even the 1999-2001 Cobra was vastly different than the 2003-2004 Cobra that they cannot even be called the same car.

do you have a cobra? this is standard 90's ford production quality. the chassis needed a lot and the tolerances were a joke.
i've had to fix as many of ford's screwups as I have had to fix bad mods from previous owners.

I've had a 99 mustang V6 and now have a 97 cobra with an entire 99 cobra drivetrain installed. MY car is substantially different at this point from a standard mustang but what i started with was essentially a mustang with a better engine, brakes, and a body kit.

obviously the cobra is better like the GT350 is better than the submodels but they aren't this magic carpet ride whole new world like you guys make it out to be.

therefore, a super hipo 4 banger (a la SVO a la the spiritual cobra grandad from the 80's) is really just a baby GT350.

this might raise the question "isn't a GT350 a baby gt500" maybe but i wouldn't argue that.

GT500 is built to dominate in all aspects.

the 350 is built for road course fun.
the hipo 2.3 is built for road course fun.

er go, its like a baby 350.

i.e. not fully grown, not as good, but catering to the same kind of driver on a smaller budget.

but what do I know, i've just built cars for like half my life at this point.

Last edited:
so, i mentioned drivetrain and aero, exhaust is obvious... so the difference otehr than the stuff i mentioned is like some sway bars, springs, and a software update.
oh and some badges.
bolt on parts. nothing substantial. got it. thanks.
do you have a cobra? this is standard 90's ford production quality. the chassis needed a lot and the tolerances were a joke.
i've had to fix as many of ford's screwups as I have had to fix bad mods from previous owners.
I've had a 99 mustang V6 and now have a 97 cobra with an entire 99 cobra drivetrain installed. MY car is substantially different at this point from a standard mustang but what i started with was essentially a mustang with a better engine, brakes, and a body kit.
obviously the cobra is better like the GT350 is better than the submodels but they aren't this magic carpet ride whole new world like you guys make it out to be.
therefore, a super hipo 4 banger (a la SVO a la the spiritual cobra grandad from the 80's) is really just a baby GT350.
this might raise the question "isn't a GT350 a baby gt500" maybe but i wouldn't argue that.
GT500 is built to dominate in all aspects.
the 350 is built for road course fun.
the hipo 2.3 is built for road course fun.
er go, its like a baby 350.
i.e. not fully grown, not as good, but catering to the same kind of driver on a smaller budget.
but what do I know, i've just built cars for like half my life at this point.

I know being an "internet engineer" makes you think you understand but i can tell you from my time actually working in the business that its well more than just "bolt on parts".

When you get a minute, research a niche line vehicle versus a production vehicle. Perfect example of how much different the Cobra was compared to a GT that they were built on a separate production line. Now take that and apply it to the GT350 and the Mustang GT/2.3L HP Ecoboost.

And no, i dont have a Cobra. I have a non-niche line Fiesta ST. Yet still, my ST is VASTLY different than a regular Fiesta S/SE/Titanium in that the only thing they actually share is the body and some misc interior/exterior panels. Nearly every component is different than the regular Fiesta cars....IE the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, bracing, seats, interior, HVAC, exhaust, evaporate emissions and windows. You can bolt almost everything from an ST into an S/SE/Titanium car just like you can a Cobra swap but it doesnt take awap the fact that the cars from the factory are completely different.

I know being an "internet engineer" makes you think you understand but i can tell you from my time actually working in the business that its well more than just "bolt on parts".

You're talking about cobras having different body seams and shit.
where are these different body seams? cause i've ripped apart my entire car and if you didn't read the buck tag on the front it'd look like any other mustang rolling chassis.

it no longer looks that way because i've built more cobras than you. see those frame rails? that's an actual chassis change.

int1.jpg

wow look at all the different body seams guys, it has a V6 bumper and hood but trust me its a completely different chassis. /sarcasm

int2.jpg

I get it, there's this mystique to the whole special car thing. i see people's faces when i tell them i have a cobra. they think its like a hundred times better than even a GT but the reality is its more like 20% better with the same low level 90's quality ford put into everything of that era.

the point is you guys are missing why people love mustangs so i'll give you a refresher. they're great because apart from very few exceptions even the special ones are obtainable simply by swapping parts out. thats it.

the only difference between the super whizz bang awesome mustang and the base model is the stuff bolted to it (With very few exceptions).

everybody knows the mustang hipo recipe:

1. better engine
2. better brakes
3. better suspension
4. some appearance indicator (aesthetics)

shelby cars are no different. same recipe, different ingredients.

everybody understands food so think of it like this.
the hipo 2.3 is a 2 layer cake. the GT350 is 3 layer a cake with more sprinkles.

same target audience: cake eaters.
different budget levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking about cobras having different body seams and shit.
where are these different body seams? cause i've ripped apart my entire car and if you didn't read the buck tag on the front it'd look like any other mustang rolling chassis.
it no longer looks that way because i've built more cobras than you. see those frame rails? that's an actual chassis change.
wow look at all the different body seams guys, it has a V6 bumper and hood but trust me its a completely different chassis. /sarcasm
I get it, there's this mystique to the whole special car thing. i see people's faces when i tell them i have a cobra. they think its like a hundred times better than even a GT but the reality is its more like 20% better with the same low level 90's quality ford put into everything of that era.
the point is you guys are missing why people love mustangs so i'll give you a refresher. they're great because apart from very few exceptions even the special ones are obtainable simply by swapping parts out. thats it.
the only difference between the super whizz bang awesome mustang and the base model is the stuff bolted to it (With very few exceptions).
everybody knows the mustang hipo recipe:
1. better engine
2. better brakes
3. better suspension
4. some appearance indicator (aesthetics)
shelby cars are no different. same recipe, different ingredients.
everybody understands food so think of it like this.
the hipo 2.3 is a 2 layer cake. the GT350 is 3 layer a cake with more sprinkles.
same target audience: cake eaters.
different budget levels.

You're truly delusional and obviously have never been on an assembly line nor looked deep enough into the two types of vehicles to figure it out.

You really think you're gonna see extra seam sealer on the Cobra versus the V6 or GT once they are completed? This isn't a visible stitch weld job bud. Its two panels bonded. You might get some "squish" coming out after they are bonded but that would be up to you to find.

And an "internet engineer" is exactly that. Some guy, like yourself, who thinks he understands what goes into a niche performance car and accuses the manufacturer of slapping things together. A person who doesn't understand the thousands of hours that goes into engineering a performance variant over its base variant car. But you, internet engineer knows more than those engineers and their "stupid" chassis engineering.

Good luck with your Mustang. If you ever get a chance head up and take a tour of the niche line. You might understand something at that point.

You're truly delusional and obviously have never been on an assembly line nor looked deep enough into the two types of vehicles to figure it out.

You really think you're gonna see extra seam sealer on the Cobra versus the V6 or GT once they are completed? This isn't a visible stitch weld job bud. Its two panels bonded. You might get some "squish" coming out after they are bonded but that would be up to you to find.

seeing as how i removed most of the seam sealer you're talking about and saw ZERO stitch welds anywhere on my chassis and there is zero documentation for your claim (you may be thinking of cobra R variants) I feel it necessary to point out your ample supply of bullshit here.

my car had no stitch or seam welds until I did them but since I actually build cars that you read about on the internet what do I know?

you don't know shit about the subject but pontificate as if you do.

take a walk, boy.

seeing as how i removed most of the seam sealer you're talking about and saw ZERO stitch welds anywhere on my chassis and there is zero documentation for your claim (you may be thinking of cobra R variants) I feel it necessary to point out your ample supply of bullshit here.
my car had no stitch or seam welds until I did them but since I actually build cars that you read about on the internet what do I know?
you don't know shit about the subject but pontificate as if you do.
take a walk, boy.
operative word here is "guessing" which is why lieu of handing out an insult beyond your understanding all you get is the common yet effective ******, ******.

Look here "BOY". I don't need to walk anywhere. I know what im talking about. How about you?

Did i hit a nerve calling you an "internet engineer"? You seem a bit salty. Should i have called you an armchair quarterback? Couch surfer with an opinion? Drivel-machine? Charlie Browns teacher(wah wah wah)? Garage loonie? Shade tree mechanic? Wanna be engineer?

You also seem to not have a clue about what seam sealer is. As i said, this isn't a stitch welded car. They add extra seam sealer in key locations to increase rigidity on the higher tiered cars(V6 vs GT vs Cobra). Ford has been using this method for years on every single model line.

And your logic on all this would then equate into this.....
Cobra = totted up V6 Mustang
GT500 = totted up GT
ZR1 = totted up Corvette Z51
ZL1 = totted up Camaro V6

So because the BASE chassis platform pieces of the car are the same that makes the chassis dynamics/construct-ability the same? I'm not talking about sound deadening(even though seam sealer is used for NVH purposes) on the 2000 Cobra R.

Truly just mind blowing the complete garbage being typed by those fingers of yours. There are some questionable people on this forum but you might just take the cake on people who have no clue what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread