2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Duramax Diesel | MotorWeek Road Test

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Just wait until the 9.1 V10 comes out...

^Wishful thinking.

Yikes! We had a 6.8 V10 in an F350 srw and it got 8 mpgs, which is exactly 1 mpg more than our F650 Dump with an Alison that weighs almost 15k unloaded.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I want a 4x4 CRD Liberty in the worst way.

Saw one for $5k a few weeks back........... hmmmmm
I can't remember exactly what the issue was with them, but my brother in law used to make a killing replacing engines. He would buy them for dirt cheap, put an engine in them and flip them. It was something in the top end, like they would drop valves or break springs.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't remember exactly what the issue was with them, but my brother in law used to make a killing replacing engines. He would buy them for dirt cheap, put an engine in them and flip them. It was something in the top end, like they would drop valves or break springs.

Yikes! Thats not good.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Cam phaser and EGR failure.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
That little 3.0 Duramax has sooo many issues. It may get 30 mpg, but it doesn’t like to stay cool. Way too many videos on YouTube of that engine overheating.

I’ll stick to my 6.7 Cummins and 6.7 Powerstroke engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
The 4BT Cummins was such a great little engine, then all the tree huggers had to ruin that one. That little engine was in so many service vehicles and just ran forever.

I hope for a day of no EGR coolers, DPF filters and DEF fluid without having all of those devices fall off with a little help. Emissions is the driver of diesel technology, and it’s just not there yet on these 1/2 ton trucks.

It’s better, but still lacking on the heavy duty trucks.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the designer and the executive that approved the exterior design still have jobs. The truck is just BRUTAL on the eyes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Chevy must have one or two beholders on final design approval.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
If you don't have shut off the engine in the drive thru it's not a diesel.

That VM tractor engine those things had is now the 2.8L Duramax in the GM small trucks.

Not gonna lie, I’ve owned several diesels and it’s kind of nice NOT having to shut the truck off in the drive thru any more.

I had a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9 Cummins) with all the goodies on it. When I would drive home at night after working 2nd shift, there were two car alarms that I would set off if I didn’t forget to let off the throttle and coast by those two houses.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
The 4BT Cummins was such a great little engine, then all the tree huggers had to ruin that one. That little engine was in so many service vehicles and just ran forever.

I hope for a day of no EGR coolers, DPF filters and DEF fluid without having all of those devices fall off with a little help. Emissions is the driver of diesel technology, and it’s just not there yet on these 1/2 ton trucks.

It’s better, but still lacking on the heavy duty trucks.

Yep, snatch one up if you can find it cheap...they are in demand for retrofits. Not to mention they already have a bell housing adapter for almost any combination you can think of.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Best motor out of the big 3 is the new eco diesel from Ram

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
That bitch has a belt driven oil pump that requires removal of the transmission to service. **** that. I can't believe the shit these manufacturers are putting in these small diesels. At least the VM 3.0 in the Ram has a chain drive. Did timing gears suddenly become an issue?

That is an NVH problem for alot of manufacturers.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Of all the noises I've heard an engine made, timing gear noise has to be the one thing I've never been able to pick out.

When you rely solely on sophisticated equipment and simulations to tell you what acceptable NVH looks like, you end up seeking out solutions to problems that don't really exist in real world, and end up with these sorts of things.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When you rely solely on sophisticated equipment and simulations to tell you what acceptable NVH looks like, you end up seeking out solutions to problems that don't really exist in real world, and end up with these sorts of things.

giphy.gif

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Best motor out of the big 3 is the new eco diesel from Ram

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

The exhaust treatment side of it is garbage though. It’s too bad, because it does seem to be a decent engine.

I know a guy who has had his eco diesel in the shop, just in the past year about 7 times. All emissions related issues.

Users who are viewing this thread