2020 Corvette Mid-Engine, 0-60 under 3, starts under $60,000.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Its definitely amateur drivers, with GM sending Jim Mero, same guy that broke the track record (24hour testing) at VIR beating the Ford GT. Not really a fair comparison.
That guy recently retired but spent more time than anyone in corvettes.
I would say the LL times are accurate for GM cars, because they send their driver to do the laps.

That ZR1 time and 720S is close, but at laguna seca its almost a 3-second difference.
LL is car and driver editors and writers running creating lap times. Again they have different driving running different cars on different days in different conditions.

Yes manufacturers run lap times too. The zr1 with Jim Mero(who is a pro driver and one of their engineers) ran a lap that was not a lightning lap.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Its definitely amateur drivers, with GM sending Jim Mero, same guy that broke the track record (24hour testing) at VIR beating the Ford GT. Not really a fair comparison.
That guy recently retired but spent more time than anyone in corvettes.
I would say the LL times are accurate for GM cars, because they send their driver to do the laps.

That ZR1 time and 720S is close, but at laguna seca its almost a 3-second difference.
It wasn't even 24 hours according to some people on reddit. They were posting about Chevy being out there for an entire week with a bunch of different Corvettes and a team of engineers before the times were announced. Even calling it a hero lap would be putting it lightly.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
lotta corvette **** munchers around here hahaha =P

It's been that way for a long time. Say something bad about a C6 Z06, and you'll mess around and get your throat slit. All while supposed Mustang guys sit by and watch and say nothing.

I'm just wondering if the new Corvette will burn as well as a Fiero.

The final edition Fiero was actually pretty good [for its time.] I'm wondering if the C8 is going to move from the Corvette's infamous snap oversteer to massive understeer now.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
It wasn't even 24 hours according to some people on reddit. They were posting about Chevy being out there for an entire week with a bunch of different Corvettes and a team of engineers before the times were announced. Even calling it a hero lap would be putting it lightly.
Yea, I know, Ford had two cars there, one for testing and the other was a clients car. They had like 3-4 people including the test driver. They had a small window to test too. So it is funny when GM makes a big deal out of it, because they had an entire team and a lot of time on the track.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Regarding the Coyote, the firing order changed from previous mod motors, think that has a lot to do with the way they sound. IMHO I-4 and V-6 have always sounded like garbage.

Mod Motor 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Coyotes 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

I don't know...

But that firing order seems to be unique to the Coyote which certainly is one of the worst sounding V8s ever produced.

Hell, even the Voodoo sounds like ass compared to other flate-plane cranked engines. But that's what, 1-5-4-8-3-7-2-6?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea, I know, Ford had two cars there, one for testing and the other was a clients car. They had like 3-4 people including the test driver. They had a small window to test too. So it is funny when GM makes a big deal out of it, because they had an entire team and a lot of time on the track.
I hadn't heard about the clients car. From what I remember, Billy was out there shaking down a braking issue with the test car.

Car and Driver said they had 1 mechanic who didn't seem to care when they ran wide and broke an air guide on the car, he said they were wear items. I talked to Billy after it and he said he had 1 set of tires and wasn't allowed to burn them up because C&D was going to use the car after him.

I do wish Ford would play ball and put some effort into it, but they don't seem to care.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Thats true lol, GM makes a big deal of breaking a record by spending over 24hrs at the track lap after lap with a race team. Ford achieved their lap with minimal support and minimal track time.
I think the reason ford doesnt make a big deal of this is because the GT was meant to compete with the higher-end cars. They also developed the car starting in 2013.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I don't know...

But that firing order seems to be unique to the Coyote which certainly is one of the worst sounding V8s ever produced.

Hell, even the Voodoo sounds like ass compared to other flate-plane cranked engines. But that's what, 1-5-4-8-3-7-2-6?

Old ford flathead firing order.

CV355

_
Established Member
Quit living under a rock, bail out has been paid back for the last few years.

They did not pay back the entire bailout package. The government still owns 61% of GM. They played shell-game with the money.

giphy.gif

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The government still owns 61% of GM. They played shell-game with the money.

View attachment 1588565

Source?

A quick search of top shareholders doesn't reveal the gov't owning a majority stake in the company, or any stock for that matter. In fact, they liquidated the last of their shares back in 2013 (for a loss......idiots).

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Who gives a shit about most of the arguments. Most of what I am seeing on here is people picking apart the most idiotic things to prove to everyone that they don't like the car. I for one love it. But I am also not a biased asshole.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Regarding the Coyote, the firing order changed from previous mod motors, think that has a lot to do with the way they sound. IMHO I-4 and V-6 have always sounded like garbage.

Mod Motor 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Coyotes 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

Start with #3 and they’re almost the same... only #1 & 6 are swapped

Mod - 37265481

Coyote - 37215486

CV355

_
Established Member
Source?

A quick search of top shareholders doesn't reveal the gov't owning a majority stake in the company, or any stock for that matter. In fact, they liquidated the last of their shares back in 2013 (for a loss......idiots).

Ah, you are right. My source was a recent article with outdated information. The government did own 61% and liquidated it for a loss. But, to my earlier statement, that was still part of the bailout package that counts as unpaid loss to taxpayers.

Who gives a shit about most of the arguments. Most of what I am seeing on here is people picking apart the most idiotic things to prove to everyone that they don't like the car. I for one love it. But I am also not a biased asshole.

True. I, for one, think the C8 is a grand slam if it has a seamless rollout.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Am I wrong or is the C8 Z51 basically a non-exotic version of the Ferrari 458? Specs seem similar.

C8: 495 hp, 470 tq, dry weight 3366, 8 speed DCT, e-diff ($65-70k)
458: 562 hp, 398 tq, dry weight 3050, 7 speed DCT, e-diff (STILL selling for $175k+)

Yeah.. I guess you guys are right, the C8 is going to suck!
It's been that way for a long time. Say something bad about a C6 Z06, and you'll mess around and get your throat slit. All while supposed Mustang guys sit by and watch and say nothing.

The final edition Fiero was actually pretty good [for its time.] I'm wondering if the C8 is going to move from the Corvette's infamous snap oversteer to massive understeer now.
I can’t believe you used Fiero and good in the same sentence.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol, give me a ZR1 with their 20% off rebate, and add the 25% bailout rebate. Sheeeit, ill take a ZR1 for 45% off!!!
The new ZR1, what a beast of a car. I would love to afford one. lol
It'll beat a 900HP Redeye from a roll. 755HP vs. 900HP, both automatic. Bye byes. lol

Users who are viewing this thread