2020 vs 2013 Shelby GT500 Comparision: An Owners Perspective.

Which GT500 is your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
... Continue being old. lol

I wish my racecar would automatically shift gears for me at the perfect time each lap. I spent a bunch of money this off season to switch rom a stick sequential to a paddle shift sequential.
Having a fully automated manual (or an "automatic" for the clueless) makes me sick every time I get behind the wheel. I so miss being locked out of gear at just the wrong time, every time. #bringbackthetr6060andburntclutches

Can't wait for round two of "I would have bought one if it didn't have a DCT" when the street version of the GT3 is announced...

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Having a fully automated manual (or an "automatic" for the clueless) makes me sick every time I get behind the wheel. I so miss being locked out of gear at just the wrong time, every time. #bringbackthetr6060andburntclutches

Can't wait for round two of "I would have bought one if it didn't have a DCT" when the street version of the GT3 is announced...

It might be “better” but it just feels wrong winning races while drinking a slurpie…

alexei-stranger-things3.gif

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
That was quite a well thought out and executed write up. With any muscle car, though, the question of what is better is always based on personal experience and opinion. My 13GT is more than capable of leaving a standard 13 Shelby. As the OP stated, traction can be and is an issue. Even with supporting mods and the largest tires one can fit without body work, she still gets loose. 1rst gear is an RPM race to shift or a test of your ability to feather the throttle. 2nd gear is pretty much a repeat of that, and about 3rd gear you can safely let it rip without concern of crossing the highway or ending up facing the wrong direction. I came to realize at about 700-750 hp, on the street anyway, going for more just meant more spin. My car had already evolved into more than I ever intended at that point. (whipple on E and all the supporting mods) I've only in the rarest encounters seen tail lights, and most of those were to cars that were factory performance oriented plus mods and came with a tag of nearly, or over, $80k. (Against my $35k or so when new Mustang) My daughter has a 19 eb that I'll use for comparison sake. Granted it's not the performance monster, however you do get the feel of the interior of the 550 when in it. Yes, the electronics are are superior. (though I hated those stupid switches that looked like they came from an 80's GM power window controller) I think one obviously must expect a newer car, especially one with 20 years more advanced tech, to be going to be better in most departments, especially in terms of suspension technology and tolerances. The S550 is going to feel tighter than an S197 just on technology difference and the fact the 197 is now a decade old with miles the 550 hasn't yet had, and it's an open door in the future as to how that 550 will feel after the same number of years. I think they did improve the Mt82 in the 550's, though for this it doesn't matter given it's inavailability. (not to mention my disdain for it, and yearning for the old Tremec which I wasn't going to spend the money to convert) The interior in most cars is cheap, at least anything under $100k. I'd much rather the R&D money be spent in engine and suspension anyway. (When Pontiac did the GTO is a great example of all the money in the motor. The interior in that car fell apart after just a few years and GM was unapologetic for it) At the end of the day, it's what you want for how you drive. I prefer the violent performance of the 197. If I wanted a smoother ride, I'd just take my wife's MKZ AWD TT out for the day. I want to feel that car trying to rip itself apart it wants to go so bad. That is when man and machine meld into one and driving really becomes an experience of almost orgasmic levels.

newapple

Established Member
Having owned a 2008, 2013, 2014 and now a 2020 Shelby GT500, I thought I might offer SVTP some insight into the differences between the Model years, specifically the 2013-14(S197) and 2020-22 (S550.)

I've broken the observations and reviews down into sections for ease of sifting through the information.

Prologue:

The S197 dates back to 2004. Over its 10-year life span, the 2013 saw improvements over the previous model years that brought the S197 body style to its Pinnacle. Some may say it was the last "True Muscle Car" style Mustang.

The S550 brought about newer technology and refinements that were very much due for the Mustang line which made it a more complete all-around vehicle in my opinion.

But does that mean it's a "Better" vehicle? That's the question most pose when deciding to buy their ideal high-performance Mustang.

We will delve into this from an owner's perspective. I've broken the observations and reviews down into sections for ease of sifting through the information.

Build Quality:

The S197 was to put it bluntly, Cheap. Body fitment was substandard, the interior was made of plastic and lacked any real sense of modernization or wow factor. The S550 offers a much needed boost to the Shelby in the quality department. Its upgraded ergonomics and body fitment are far superior to the S197. As it should be right? We're talking about a car that started its journey in 2004/5. It's a natural progression that the 2020 S550 Shelby would be a higher quality product.

Interior:

As stated in the quality section, the interior of the S197 GT500 is "Nostalgic" to put it in friendly terms. The gauges take you back to the 70s, the center console reminds you of the foxbody, the back seats remind you of the SN95 body style... It was meant to give you that Retro feel for sure. The Recaro seats in the S197 are far more forgiving than those in the S550. If you're a fatty, better opt for the luxury boy seats and steer clear of the Recaros in the S550.

The S550s interior is by no means a Bentley. Keep in mind that its still a Mustang. All be it a ridiculously over priced version of America's Favorite pony car... It is STILL a MUSTANG. The interior is NICE. But not overly plush or refined. I would call it adequate for a top of the line Mustang.

Exterior:

The 2013 Shelby was purpose built for straight line 200+mph goals that ford set when developing the project. The exterior design certainly shows that desire to create the fastest factory pony car ever to roll off the line. It's sleek, gives you that OG Muscle car look and is unapologetic about it. its MASSIVE wide open front end gulps in every mm of air it can squeeze through the front grill that well... doesn't exist. the wheels are classy on both the PP and Base models. Not to flashy, not to bland, just right.

The 2020 gives you a sense that Ford Performance was looking to bring you a TRACK monster. Not your typical 1/4 Mile Door Slammer, but a Refined, elegant almost "Posh" Mustang meant to rip up corners and deliver you to the finish line safely after effortlessly annihilating corkscrews and hairpin turns at Laguna Seca.

While Ford Performance did well accomplishing this feat, the also missed the mark in some ways. The wheels are BLAND on the base model. a glossy black split 6 spoke that would look better on a pimped out escalade then a mustang. The "Carbon Fiber Track Pack" cars look like they leaped off the design board of artists obsessed with Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift and slid into Ford's production line ready to embarrass the brand in full Ricer force.

Ergonomics:

Simply put the S550 just obliterates in this department. Your hands never really have to leave the steering wheel to make adjustments to suspension, steering etc. the Gauge cluster is fully customizable and useful. the center console isn't annoying or offensive whenever you have a drink in the cup holder. everything is far more user friendly in the S550.

Performance:

The 2013 has old-school, low-end grunt that is lacking from the S550. Torque is damn near instant and you're pinned to the seat almost immediately if the tires will hook… That’s a big if without suspension mods and replacement tires. It's relatively easy to see 10s in the 1/4 Mile with good weather conditions, a few tasteful mods and a decent driver.

The 2020 revs high and demands that for its performance. you don't get the same low-end grunt, which is expected from an engine that when tuned you're shifting at 8000-8500 RPMS! WOW...

Even with the best driver, stock for stock, the S550 has this department on lock down.

Handling:

The S550 has a much more refined feel like it belongs at luxury balls wearing a Tux. It's civilized, controlled, and cares for you. The S197 on the other hand, is like you met an Ax murder at a Black Sabbath concert and married it... and she tries to kill you every time you take her for a ride. Brake fade on the S197 is a serious issue after a couple hits. The MASSIVE rotors front and back on the S550 make this a non-issue.

Modifications:

A simple Pulley swap, Mid-pipe, Throttle Body, New Plugs, Tune, Tire, and the S197 is ridiculously powerful and fun to drive.... if you like Axe Murderers.

Where things start to get a little complex is when your touch the 800RWHP number... The rods inside the block are no longer your friend. In order to progress further without grenading the engine, you will need to tear it down and replace, at a minimum, the rods... This, however, is not a cheap process and you're probably looking at roughly 20k to yank it out, built a block capable of 800+ RWHP and considerable down time to make that project a reality. You will also need a bigger blower beyond that 800RWHP number as the stock TVS is going to be SCREAMING.

The S550 however, 1000RWHP has been achieved with far less complexity and will not require an engine rebuild. Parts do seem more expensive however... for example:

a Throttle Body upgrade for a 2020+ is gonna run you north of $1000.00 whereas a 13/14 will be somewhere around $800.00.

Superchargers for the S550 are somewhat limited at this point, but you can snag a Whipple for a Cool $7600.00. The 2013 will run you about $4499.00 if you buy a Gen3R from VMP.

Vehicle Price:

You really do have to hunt to find the right price on a 2020+ Shelby. ADMs are ridiculous BUT there are Deals out there. Just be patient and you'll find the right one.

The 2013/14 Shelby is a little more rare and has held its value well over the years. You may be able to find one for less than half what you're going to pay for an S550 version.

Fuel Economy:

Really, no one gives a damn about this... we're looking for SPG...Smiles Per Gallon when buying one of these monsters.

With that said, The S197 does far better on Range and MPG.

Weight:

The S550 is a much heavier vehicle coming in at 4149lbs vs the S197s 3871lbs. the Delta on this is 278lbs. That’s nothing to scoff at. the S550 carries considerably more weight. Imagine every time you track your car, your fat ass uncle joe is strapped in the passenger seat.... exactly.

Top Speed:

Factory for Factory, the S197 is not limited and has 3.31 gears. The S550 comes with 3.73s and is limited to 180mph.

With that said, The S197 getting to 200+MPH will take time, most likely several miles and a large set of balls. A Simple tune revision will cure the S550 from its limiting speed. (Taller gears may also be required for 200+ I am not sure of the transmissions limiting factors on this one.)

Performance Apps:

Ford Performance perfected the Track apps from the previous version. Not to go into too much detail with this, but Line-lock, Launch control, HUD shift lamps... The S550 knocks this one out of the park.

Conclusion:

When you look at the various categories you can easily see that Ford Performance did an excellent job on the S550 Shelby. But have we answered the question, "Is it a better car?"

Several Factors may weigh on personal decision when it comes to this question.

The S550 has a Dial knob and Flappy Gear Paddles mated to the DCT,(essentially an automatic) It lacks a Proper 6speed Gear box, the "CFTP" Versions are Riced out and look embarrassing, top speed is factory limited where the 2013 is a 200+MPH Mustang.

Finally, the 2013 was the last Shelby to receive input and approval from the legend himself, Carroll Shelby. I think if you put the heart and nostalgia aside, think with logic and go over the data, you can see there is a clear winner... But we're Gear heads, Car guys trying to relive our youth with bigger, faster, more powerful toys... Nostalgia can't just be removed from the equation.

Is the 2020+ Shelby "Better" than the 2013/14? I think that's a question best left to the person behind the wheel.

632913602-4797234112_large.jpg
I”ll keep my 2013 GT500. Not too high tech and most Techs can work on it! Bring a 2020 500 to a dealer for any type of service or technical issue…..They dont have a clue what to do with it!!! Too much electronics! And how much do those brakes cost? How about those wheels? Got a flat ? Good luck….

newapple

Established Member
I’ll keep my 13 GT500! A simple fast raw muscle car.
I can service it anywhere . Try that with a 2020! No dealer has experience with these, they barely saw a 13-14 model. The brakes are cheaper as well as the tires. Got a flat with your new 2020? Good luck! One more thing, too many gadgets and electronics (cluster) if it goes out…. You are screwed! My friend has the 2020, it leaks transmission fluid. He’s gonna live with it rather than return to the Ford dealer

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I will say that I would take a grabber blue glass roof 197 over just about any 550.

Grabber Blue is the TITs....
A Grabber Blue S197 GT500 with black matte stripes,...........
DROOL CITY!!!!

But, a S550 GT500 in Grabber Yellow with black stripes or a Heritage Blue with white stripes,.............
giphy.gif

Menace2014

Established Member
Handling:

The S550 has a much more refined feel like it belongs at luxury balls wearing a Tux. It's civilized, controlled, and cares for you. The S197 on the other hand, is like you met an Ax murder at a Black Sabbath concert and married it... and she tries to kill you every time you take her for a ride. Brake fade on the S197 is a serious issue after a couple hits. The MASSIVE rotors front and back on the S550 make this a non-issue.
I love the "Ax Murderer" comment! I have a 2014 GT500 with average mods, and while I have yet to drive a newer 500, I did get to spend some time on the track at Bondurant in a GT350 when they were first being released.

I've always described the difference in handling like the difference between Tyson (2014 GT500) and Ali (S550 GT350)..."brute force" vs "grace and finesse". I would never had attempted some of the cornering and braking the 350 was doing in my car, it would have turned into one of those viral videos of a "crazy mustang plowing over spectators" (or at least into my baby sitting facing the wrong direction after some infield drama).

Sounds like I need to find my way into driving a newer 500 for a personal comparison, but I love my "ax murderer", she ain't going anywhere!

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I”ll keep my 2013 GT500. Not too high tech and most Techs can work on it! Bring a 2020 500 to a dealer for any type of service or technical issue…..They dont have a clue what to do with it!!! Too much electronics! And how much do those brakes cost? How about those wheels? Got a flat ? Good luck….

LOL who needs a dealership?? LOLOLOLOL

Image1679528731.514259.jpg

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Having owned a 2008, 2013, 2014 and now a 2020 Shelby GT500, I thought I might offer SVTP some insight into the differences between the Model years, specifically the 2013-14(S197) and 2020-22 (S550.)

I've broken the observations and reviews down into sections for ease of sifting through the information.

Prologue:

The S197 dates back to 2004. Over its 10-year life span, the 2013 saw improvements over the previous model years that brought the S197 body style to its Pinnacle. Some may say it was the last "True Muscle Car" style Mustang.

The S550 brought about newer technology and refinements that were very much due for the Mustang line which made it a more complete all-around vehicle in my opinion.

But does that mean it's a "Better" vehicle? That's the question most pose when deciding to buy their ideal high-performance Mustang.

We will delve into this from an owner's perspective. I've broken the observations and reviews down into sections for ease of sifting through the information.

Build Quality:

The S197 was to put it bluntly, Cheap. Body fitment was substandard, the interior was made of plastic and lacked any real sense of modernization or wow factor. The S550 offers a much needed boost to the Shelby in the quality department. Its upgraded ergonomics and body fitment are far superior to the S197. As it should be right? We're talking about a car that started its journey in 2004/5. It's a natural progression that the 2020 S550 Shelby would be a higher quality product.

Interior:

As stated in the quality section, the interior of the S197 GT500 is "Nostalgic" to put it in friendly terms. The gauges take you back to the 70s, the center console reminds you of the foxbody, the back seats remind you of the SN95 body style... It was meant to give you that Retro feel for sure. The Recaro seats in the S197 are far more forgiving than those in the S550. If you're a fatty, better opt for the luxury boy seats and steer clear of the Recaros in the S550.

The S550s interior is by no means a Bentley. Keep in mind that its still a Mustang. All be it a ridiculously over priced version of America's Favorite pony car... It is STILL a MUSTANG. The interior is NICE. But not overly plush or refined. I would call it adequate for a top of the line Mustang.

Exterior:

The 2013 Shelby was purpose built for straight line 200+mph goals that ford set when developing the project. The exterior design certainly shows that desire to create the fastest factory pony car ever to roll off the line. It's sleek, gives you that OG Muscle car look and is unapologetic about it. its MASSIVE wide open front end gulps in every mm of air it can squeeze through the front grill that well... doesn't exist. the wheels are classy on both the PP and Base models. Not to flashy, not to bland, just right.

The 2020 gives you a sense that Ford Performance was looking to bring you a TRACK monster. Not your typical 1/4 Mile Door Slammer, but a Refined, elegant almost "Posh" Mustang meant to rip up corners and deliver you to the finish line safely after effortlessly annihilating corkscrews and hairpin turns at Laguna Seca.

While Ford Performance did well accomplishing this feat, the also missed the mark in some ways. The wheels are BLAND on the base model. a glossy black split 6 spoke that would look better on a pimped out escalade then a mustang. The "Carbon Fiber Track Pack" cars look like they leaped off the design board of artists obsessed with Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift and slid into Ford's production line ready to embarrass the brand in full Ricer force.

Ergonomics:

Simply put the S550 just obliterates in this department. Your hands never really have to leave the steering wheel to make adjustments to suspension, steering etc. the Gauge cluster is fully customizable and useful. the center console isn't annoying or offensive whenever you have a drink in the cup holder. everything is far more user friendly in the S550.

Performance:

The 2013 has old-school, low-end grunt that is lacking from the S550. Torque is damn near instant and you're pinned to the seat almost immediately if the tires will hook… That’s a big if without suspension mods and replacement tires. It's relatively easy to see 10s in the 1/4 Mile with good weather conditions, a few tasteful mods and a decent driver.

The 2020 revs high and demands that for its performance. you don't get the same low-end grunt, which is expected from an engine that when tuned you're shifting at 8000-8500 RPMS! WOW...

Even with the best driver, stock for stock, the S550 has this department on lock down.

Handling:

Modifications:

A simple Pulley swap, Mid-pipe, Throttle Body, New Plugs, Tune, Tire, and the S197 is ridiculously powerful and fun to drive.... if you like Axe Murderers.

Where things start to get a little complex is when your touch the 800RWHP number... The rods inside the block are no longer your friend. In order to progress further without grenading the engine, you will need to tear it down and replace, at a minimum, the rods... This, however, is not a cheap process and you're probably looking at roughly 20k to yank it out, built a block capable of 800+ RWHP and considerable down time to make that project a reality. You will also need a bigger blower beyond that 800RWHP number as the stock TVS is going to be SCREAMING.

The S550 however, 1000RWHP has been achieved with far less complexity and will not require an engine rebuild. Parts do seem more expensive however... for example:

a Throttle Body upgrade for a 2020+ is gonna run you north of $1000.00 whereas a 13/14 will be somewhere around $800.00.

Superchargers for the S550 are somewhat limited at this point, but you can snag a Whipple for a Cool $7600.00. The 2013 will run you about $4499.00 if you buy a Gen3R from VMP.

Vehicle Price:

You really do have to hunt to find the right price on a 2020+ Shelby. ADMs are ridiculous BUT there are Deals out there. Just be patient and you'll find the right one.

The 2013/14 Shelby is a little more rare and has held its value well over the years. You may be able to find one for less than half what you're going to pay for an S550 version.

Fuel Economy:

Really, no one gives a damn about this... we're looking for SPG...Smiles Per Gallon when buying one of these monsters.

With that said, The S197 does far better on Range and MPG.

Weight:

The S550 is a much heavier vehicle coming in at 4149lbs vs the S197s 3871lbs. the Delta on this is 278lbs. That’s nothing to scoff at. the S550 carries considerably more weight. Imagine every time you track your car, your fat ass uncle joe is strapped in the passenger seat.... exactly.

Top Speed:

Factory for Factory, the S197 is not limited and has 3.31 gears. The S550 comes with 3.73s and is limited to 180mph.

With that said, The S197 getting to 200+MPH will take time, most likely several miles and a large set of balls. A Simple tune revision will cure the S550 from its limiting speed. (Taller gears may also be required for 200+ I am not sure of the transmissions limiting factors on this one.)

Performance Apps:

Ford Performance perfected the Track apps from the previous version. Not to go into too much detail with this, but Line-lock, Launch control, HUD shift lamps... The S550 knocks this one out of the park.

Conclusion:

When you look at the various categories you can easily see that Ford Performance did an excellent job on the S550 Shelby. But have we answered the question, "Is it a better car?"

Several Factors may weigh on personal decision when it comes to this question.

The S550 has a Dial knob and Flappy Gear Paddles mated to the DCT,(essentially an automatic) It lacks a Proper 6speed Gear box, the "CFTP" Versions are Riced out and look embarrassing, top speed is factory limited where the 2013 is a 200+MPH Mustang.

Finally, the 2013 was the last Shelby to receive input and approval from the legend himself, Carroll Shelby. I think if you put the heart and nostalgia aside, think with logic and go over the data, you can see there is a clear winner... But we're Gear heads, Car guys trying to relive our youth with bigger, faster, more powerful toys... Nostalgia can't just be removed from the equation.

Is the 2020+ Shelby "Better" than the 2013/14? I think that's a question best left to the person behind the wheel.

632913602-4797234112_large.jpg
Excellent write up and well put brother.......(y). To each his own! You cant go wrong with either!!

noco5.0

Established Member
I like the relatively low tech aspect of the 13-14 GT500. I owned several Hellcats before buying my Shelby. I think the crappy Uconnect system is going to be an issue for long term owners which was a big reason I moved on from Dodge. Fortunately that's not a concern with the 13-14 GT500. Hopefully Ford or the aftermarket support the newer models long term.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the "Ax Murderer" comment! I have a 2014 GT500 with average mods, and while I have yet to drive a newer 500, I did get to spend some time on the track at Bondurant in a GT350 when they were first being released.

I've always described the difference in handling like the difference between Tyson (2014 GT500) and Ali (S550 GT350)..."brute force" vs "grace and finesse". I would never had attempted some of the cornering and braking the 350 was doing in my car, it would have turned into one of those viral videos of a "crazy mustang plowing over spectators" (or at least into my baby sitting facing the wrong direction after some infield drama).

Sounds like I need to find my way into driving a newer 500 for a personal comparison, but I love my "ax murderer", she ain't going anywhere!
I have a Griggs racing watts link on mine, it's crazy the difference it makes when it's properly setup, along with Griggs adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets with H&R race springs, I put a 285/35R20 up front and a 305/35R20 out back. The car handles great for a solid axle car. Maybe something to consider on yours.
Screenshot_20230322_210114_Gallery.jpg

Menace2014

Established Member
I have a Griggs racing watts link on mine, it's crazy the difference it makes when it's properly setup, along with Griggs adjustable lower control arms and relocation brackets with H&R race springs, I put a 285/35R20 up front and a 305/35R20 out back. The car handles great for a solid axle car. Maybe something to consider on yours. View attachment 1786451
I've got BMR adjustable LCAs with Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar and Eibach Pro Kit Springs. We spent a lot of time getting the axle square and centered and it is certainly better than it was stock. Unfortunately, I'm still on stock wheels and tire sizes right now, though something larger is on my list for the future.

I had a Griggs Racing Torque Arm and Panhard Bar setup in my 98 Cobra, I love their stuff! I may have to look at their Watts Link, it looks like it fits with the exhaust (which always seemed to be an issue in the older cars).

Users who are viewing this thread