2021 GT500 and a new Carbon Fiber Handling Package?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...I don’t understand taking the back seat out of all of them from factory. Just another bone head decision by ford IMO.

RSD's were available on certain 60's models, '93 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R, 2000 Cobra R, GT350 R, and now the '20 CFTP GT500. They are nothing new and came on the highest performing pony car available. The intent of all of these were to be ready for track duty and not cruising around with kids in the back to go to the supermarket. I'm thankful for the opportunity to buy some weight reducing hardware direct from the factory and hope they continue to offer it in future models.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
No confusion here. I get pony car road racing. I also get 0.1% of the CFTP cars are going to race competivly so I don’t understand taking the back seat out of all of them from factory. Just another bone head decision by ford IMO.

The RSD isn't for everyone which is why the base 500's have rear seats.

SlowShelby_TX

Established Member
RSD's were available on certain 60's models, '93 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R, 2000 Cobra R, GT350 R, and now the '20 CFTP GT500. They are nothing new and came on the highest performing pony car available. The intent of all of these were to be ready for track duty and not cruising around with kids in the back to go to the supermarket. I'm thankful for the opportunity to buy some weight reducing hardware direct from the factory and hope they continue to offer it in future models.
Available, and mandatory are obviously different. The 2000R didn't have a headliner, radio or A/C if I remember correctly. It also had a completely different motor. You also needed a SCCA license to buy it. Probably not a valid comparison. Just my .02

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The RSD isn't mandatory when you buy a GT500 as nobody is forcing anyone to buy a CFTP car. Want a CFTP car instead of a Base car? It comes with an RSD.

The 2000R came with a headliner. Everyone knows the engine was different than that of all non-R 2000 Mustangs.

You could buy the '95R and the '00R without a "competition" license. The '93R was the one they held that requirement to. There were numerous dealers that bought and sold the R variants and the "requirement" faded.

The RSD was a totally valid "comparison." Not sure what you are getting at.

SlowShelby_TX

Established Member
The RSD isn't mandatory when you buy a GT500 as nobody is forcing anyone to buy a CFTP car. Want a CFTP car instead of a Base car? It comes with an RSD.

The 2000R came with a headliner. Everyone knows the engine was different than that of all non-R 2000 Mustangs.

You could buy the '95R and the '00R without a "competition" license. The '93R was the one they held that requirement to. There were numerous dealers that bought and sold the R variants and the "requirement" faded.

The RSD was a totally valid "comparison." Not sure what you are getting at.

My point was if you want the the best stuff...there is no option for the back seat, thus making it mandatory if you want the best car. The other items I brought up were to illustrate the "race cars" they marketed without back seat, deleted nearly all of the creature comforts. The CFTP doesn't have any parts that would necessitate there not being a seat. I totally get what you are saying, but I promise there are people who would buy a CFTP car and not ever track it, just as there are countless Raptors that are not used to their full potential. It seems plausible that it could be optional. I am betting that is what the new package is addressing.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Can you guess what number I'm thinking of right now Dave?

:)

My point was if you want the the best stuff...there is no option for the back seat, thus making it mandatory if you want the best car. The other items I brought up were to illustrate the "race cars" they marketed without back seat, deleted nearly all of the creature comforts. The CFTP doesn't have any parts that would necessitate there not being a seat. I totally get what you are saying, but I promise there are people who would buy a CFTP car and not ever track it, just as there are countless Raptors that are not used to their full potential. It seems plausible that it could be optional. I am betting that is what the new package is addressing.

Best? There are plenty of drag racers out there that want the Base car and only the Base car for performance/bang for the buck.

Point is there is history with a RSD. In 2020, it isn't possible to do manual windows anymore, and deleting A/C, etc, is a far greater undertaking than it used to be. The car is heavy as shit so engineers pulled from the previous recipe what they could.

As for the RSD being optional...I've already screamed from the rooftops at the top of my lungs but Ford refuses to listen. IMHO, they feel they need it as an exclusive to justify the serious bump in price that the CFTP cars demand.

For that matter where the **** is Ford Performance? They have no intention from what I understand to carry the RSD kits in their catalog as they once did and they have done jack shit in terms of releasing parts for any 2020 GT500. Their excuse? COVID, along with a dose of "we can't comment on future products." They have fizzled, big-time.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member

Boss LS?

fearthesnake

Established Member
Can you guess what number I'm thinking of right now Dave?

:)

For that matter where the **** is Ford Performance? They have no intention from what I understand to carry the RSD kits in their catalog as they once did and they have done jack shit in terms of releasing parts for any 2020 GT500. Their excuse? COVID, along with a dose of "we can't comment on future products." They have fizzled, big-time.

Is it further "Cost cutting" measures by Ford?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Their budgets are geared toward all things electric and trucks. FP did nothing for the GT350 (a Borla catback, some oil separators, a pretty lame "shifter", that's about it) and I expect even less for the GT500. If you are a traditional hot rodder, pay attention as you are now being disregarded.

JCDriller

Established Member
Has anyone put a rear seat in their cftp car? I assume the delete can be removed and replaced with the seat. I’m looking to personally do this if I can ever find a cftp car without an insane MSRP.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Unless you have small children or some little people in your social circle, the rear seat is a joke in the Mustang. With the front seats all the way back, there is about an inch between the back of the front seat and the leading edge of the bottom of the rear seat.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Has anyone put a rear seat in their cftp car? I assume the delete can be removed and replaced with the seat. I’m looking to personally do this if I can ever find a cftp car without an insane MSRP.

Its very easy to remove the seat delete panel and install rear seats.

I just sold my rear seats out of my 2020 GT350 to a local guy who bought a 2019 GT350R and wanted rear seats so he could take his kids for rides.

I included the seat bottoms, folding seat backs, seat belts, anchors, and all nuts and bolts.

he said this would be his winter project.

JCDriller

Established Member
Unless you have small children or some little people in your social circle, the rear seat is a joke in the Mustang. With the front seats all the way back, there is about an inch between the back of the front seat and the leading edge of the bottom of the rear seat.

683011E0-071C-4AB3-86CD-4B9006ED868E.jpeg

All the mustangs I have, have the backseat available for a car seat. I’m rolling around in my 900+ HP Saleen with a car seat in the back. This guy loves his mustangs!

dcgtconv

Established Member
Thanks Tob for the info, I get way more information on these forums than I ever do from my dealer. Interesting on the CFHP, why even offer it if it is going to be difficult to get, but yet they are increasing the CFTP, I don’t get it

Users who are viewing this thread