• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

2021 Heritage Edition Teaser | Ford GT | Ford Performance

Discussion in 'Pics and Videos Buffet' started by SID297, Aug 14, 2020.

1. 13COBRA

13COBRA Resident Ford Dealer Premium Member Established Member

I completely understand.

I'm kinda over it. I dont have any interest in tracking one...nor just driving one on the street.

Everything happens for a reason!

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

DAVESVT2000 likes this.
  2. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Wut? Established Member

<sigh>

First, the selection process was and still is a secret. Where did you get those figures?

Here's what Road and Track found:
    Here Are the Notable People Ford Accepted and Rejected for GT Ownership

This particular article from The Drive even quotes Henry Ford III as basically saying exactly what i already pointed out:
    Everything You Need to Know About the Ford GT Ownership Application Process

Literally 30 seconds to find this information.....with sources.

3. Great Asp

Great Asp Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I know four people that were denied, you can be No 5!

It's frustrating to know how the system really works, but as with a lot of things, you have to know someone, or have naked pics of them.

E

4. 13COBRA

13COBRA Resident Ford Dealer Premium Member Established Member

Nicely put haha

I feel like I know plenty of people, but obviously not THE person I need to know.

Great Asp likes this.
  5. DBK

DBK Re-retired Established Member

The "just about 70%" was based on a publicly published quote direct from Raj (who also had his car delivered to me) when he was still President of the Americas, from an internal Ford newsletter (you can see here). It was actually exactly 69% Ford GT owners in Round 1. That alone nukes the "aka social media influencers" thing, given the demo of your average GT owner.

That number also did not include people who owned a GT but were awarded the allocation on the basis of qualifying out of category that was not "GT Owner." Jack Roush would be granted a car based on the Racing category, despite owning a GT. Same for dealers that qualified automatically based on specific sales metrics, like a Galpin. 87% of the overall total were Ford owners.

Those articles do not conflict with what I wrote. I'm just sayin, you don't even have to take my word for it; the vast majority of the cars went to people that own prior gen GTs, and a super tiny handful went to people notable for social media.

DSG2003Mach1 likes this.
  6. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Wut? Established Member

Well, that puts it to bed for me! Glad to see that they did give Ford owners preferred selection.

7. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd like to know more about the failed Mustang homologation effort for Le Mans.

DAVESVT2000 likes this.
  8. DBK

DBK Re-retired Established Member

Very similar to GT. Rationale was to integrate launch of global Mustang with celebration of 66 Le Mans win by racing the new global product. They did all the typical shit, engineering/feasability/biz case. Car was pretty gnarly looking, wide monster with a terrible frontal area for high speed endurance racing (which ended up not really mattering anyways due to BoP). Would have needed a lot of waivers (which, again, ended up not really mattering based on all the shenanigans in IMSA/WEC). Carbon car, same powertrain, front engine, done by MM. Would have been at least $250k each, but if I recall the unit count was a lot lower. Got shot down pretty far along. There was executive support for the program when it was ongoing that vaporized when it came time to press the go button.

I was super happy when they killed it because I thought it was extremely no-brainer obvious they should do a Ford GT. That said, the time spent on Silver, and then the time in between Silver being nuked at Phoenix actually "officially" starting cost the GT program a lot. There were learnings from Silver applied to PHX but the dead time in between put GT way behind the gun.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  9. BlksvtCobra01

BlksvtCobra01 Deplorable and Proud Established Member

When can we expect the S650? Or next gen Mustang? 2023? Is it true all the new Broncos are sold out for the 1st year? If you can divulge don’t want to you to get in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

Aside from cheeseball images from Google searches I can't find anything that looks like it was from this stillborn effort. Every story out there looks to be rehash from somebody else's story.

Thanks for the details though DBK.

DAVESVT2000 likes this.