2022 EXPLORER ST Rear Axle Bolt Recall

eagle eye

Established Member
Has anyone with a `22 Explorer ST received the recall 22S27, rear axle bolt fracture?
Ford claims the bolt can fracture during acceleration allowing the rear axle housing to move out of position.
One guy at the dealer thought they may de-tune it to provide less ramp-up under boost.

Any info would be appreciated.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I have a 2020, so this doesn't affect me, but the issue is 2020 and early 2021 V6 Explorers came with a "2-bolt" rear subframe (this is for differential mounting, 2 up front vertically on the ears, and 2 horizontally into the back of the diff). Mid 2021s and later came with the "1-bolt" subframe from the 4 cylinder Explorers (only 1 bolt into the back of the diff, but the same 2 front bolts). While there is still a tapped hole in the diff case, there is no provision for a 2nd rubber bushing into the rear subframe.

Some owners noticed this by the rear bolt failing and the diff essentially falling out during hard launches. Now these owners are tuned on E50, so an additional 200+hp and 250+ lb ft of torque. As for stock cars having this issue, I haven't seen any reports but I'm sure they're out there.

All failures were replaced under warranty, some with the "correct" (Interceptor and Aviator) 2 bolt subframe, and some with the "incorrect" 1 bolt subframe. Some owners bought the 2 bolt subframe as preventative maintenance, but this is a $1500 part and labor is obviously expensive.

Ford finally issued a recall. The detuning is a rumor, with the tune changes supposedly in relation to Rear Brake Assist and other things that shock the diff. If you have a 1 bolt car, Lethal Performance sells 2 different braces to help.

Users who are viewing this thread