22lbs TVS on 93oct

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Went to a big Mustang event this past weekend and got to talking to a fellow Terminator owner. Nice guy, but he starts telling me about his setup. Says he's on a TVS, 60lb injectors, ect, ect - 22lbs of boost. I said, "oh so your on e85 then, no wait - you can't be if your running 60lb injectors" He said - no, I'm running 22lbs on 93oct and I just locked up, didn't know what to say. After a few seconds he said he knew that was pushing it but that it ran good and had been dyno tuned.

My question is - what would you have said? I guess on the one hand - his car, he can roast the motor if he wants, but I also wonder if I shouldn't have said something about that being too much boost for 93oct - or if he's running really low timing, could he get away with it and not be hurting the motor? My thought is that at best he's probably getting knock and is doing some damage that will add up over time.

cblevons

Established Member
My body has been running 21-22 PSI on a 93 tune for over 5 years with a VMP on a built motor never a issue making 645whp all depends how good your tuner is I guess, I will be running 22-23 psi on a 100 tune with about 22 degrees of timing on a built motor far from stock anything on a gen 1 whipple , same tuner.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
One question. Why build a motor, spin a blower to 22lbs, then handicap it with 93?
He is leaving a bunch on the table and that cylinder pressure on 93 octane isn't the best idea.
I'd rather run that on e-85 or 110+ and let it eat.

EB85

Established Member
One question. Why build a motor, spin a blower to 22lbs, then handicap it with 93?
He is leaving a bunch on the table and that cylinder pressure on 93 octane isn't the best idea.

Maybe he can't get E85? I know around me there are only places that carry it and both are a minimum 45 minutes away. And yes, it sucks knowing it's there but still too far to go to get it.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
My car has been at 20 using pump gas for over 10k miles now and it was tuned by a very good shop. I have a race gas tune for it but never used it.

s351

Established Member
Went to a big Mustang event this past weekend and got to talking to a fellow Terminator owner. Nice guy, but he starts telling me about his setup. Says he's on a TVS, 60lb injectors, ect, ect - 22lbs of boost. I said, "oh so your on e85 then, no wait - you can't be if your running 60lb injectors" He said - no, I'm running 22lbs on 93oct and I just locked up, didn't know what to say. After a few seconds he said he knew that was pushing it but that it ran good and had been dyno tuned.

My question is - what would you have said? I guess on the one hand - his car, he can roast the motor if he wants, but I also wonder if I shouldn't have said something about that being too much boost for 93oct - or if he's running really low timing, could he get away with it and not be hurting the motor? My thought is that at best he's probably getting knock and is doing some damage that will add up over time.

His timing has to be really low. And probably would be faster at 18 psi and a lot more timing.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
As stated above it can be done with super low timing. Hell, he could even run quite a bit of torco and get away with it or a meth kit. I personally would not advise to do it, but it can be done and I guarantee hes not the only one doing it.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
He definitely wasn't running Torco (watched him put gas in it). He didn't mention anything about meth injection. I hope he's running very low timing but he didn't say anything about it. I would love to see what the inside of his motor looks like.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I run 20lbs with 93+ torco on a race tune so I guess if the timing is super low, its possible. That is pushing it if you ask me.

s351

Established Member
I just don't get it for the fact that your not making your car faster you are probably going backwards with such low timing...

Is it just so you can say your running high boost and that sounds impressive.

Mach828

Established Member

Cylinder pressure is dependent on timing. You have higher cylinder pressure on e85 and 110, vs 93. It makes more power because of the higher cylinder pressure, due to the advanced ignition timing.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Here's the thing, maybe he can run 22#s on pump and his tune looks just fine. Lots of people said you'll never do x with y, and some crazy folks go out and prove them wrong and move things forward. Its his motor, and his tune, just because you wouldn't do it doesn't make it a problem. Popping a motor from detonation isn't a gradual thing from my experience, it is a sudden and pretty catastrophic failure, so I'd imagine the inside of his motor looks the same as yours. Maybe he's interested in seeing how far he can push it on pump until his motor pops because he has a backup waiting to go in.

tl;dr why do you care so much about what he is doing?

EB85

Established Member
I just don't get it for the fact that your not making your car faster you are probably going backwards with such low timing...

Is it just so you can say your running high boost and that sounds impressive.

Probably. What do you hear asked more when showing off your car: How much boost or how much timing?

Users who are viewing this thread