• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

2nd Flight with the DJI Phantom

Discussion in 'Pics and Videos Buffet' started by KWClutch, Dec 28, 2013.

1. KWClutch

KWClutch Steve McQueen Established Member

Beginning to get used to this thing. I love it. Can't wait to get better and get better video. Watch it in HD!

[youtube_browser]K37piAXQ6eY[/youtube_browser]

2. RichM1983

RichM1983 Well-Known Member Established Member

I missed your first thread. Lets see pics of this neat little gadget. I love this sort of thing.

3. KWClutch

I didn't post the first flight. It was a trial run. haha

Here is a photo. Basic DJI phantom. Only upgrades I got were the balanced motors and carbon fiber props. Supposed to produce less vibration and makes it a little more quick and responsive.

[​IMG]

4. oldmodman

oldmodman Well-Known Member Established Member

Pretty darn stable for only a second flight. Have you flown RC copters or Quads before?

What version of the DJI did you get? I have seen some that even include the FPV video gear and full GPS stability including heading lock.

5. KWClutch

Just the Phantom 1. It is a very upgradable platform. I'm sure I'll do some in the future but I got it mainly for fun at autox events and vacations. They are on sale for a pretty reasonable price. In GPS mode it will hover in the spot where you put it in GPS mode only problem with that is for video it makes it really shaky because it's always correcting itself. The coolest thing about it is the "return home" feature. If it looses signal it'll fly itself back to where you turned it on. Also has a gyro and compass on it so if you run it into anything it'll upright itself.

I've flown a couple R/C helicopters but nothing crazy. It's fairly easy to fly if you have the basics down. Left joystick is throttle and rotation. Right is direction. I've had a couple close calls but was able to correct it. I don't think I breathe when I have it in the air. lol

6. Z06

Z06 Well-Known Member Established Member

Again, that is pretty fricking sweet. What's the price on one of those? How high do they go?

7. Rdnckhoops

Rdnckhoops New Member

That's funny...Just finished installing my Zenmuse gimbal.

8. KWClutch

I'm jealous. That's the one thing I want bad but they cost as much as the quad does. It says 400 ft max but people have had them well over 1k ft. Which is illegal.

I got mine for 460 off amazon. Bought a couple higher capacity batteries, the props and motors and spent right at 600. Not bad for all the tech in it.

9. SVT-BansheeMan

SVT-BansheeMan na na, hey hey, goodbye Established Member

I wanted to get into R/c helis. I bought phoenix sim to learn. I gave up after 5 minutes. I admire guys who are good r/c pilots. It's so hard to learn!

10. Powershift03

Powershift03 Clapped out race car Established Member

I just ordered that exact same one last week. It should arrive early next week.

11. Camaro_94

Camaro_94 Brown Recluse Slayer Established Member

Very cool!

12. NiteMareGT

NiteMareGT Master Of Puppets Established Member

Enemy UAV spotted LOL

13. Red Turtle

Red Turtle ALWAYS WATCHING Staff Member Super Moderator

The phantom is a really cool copter. I wanted one but figured that I would not use it near enough to enjoy it. Be careful with GPS "return home" mode, as I have read a few stories where it didn't work and they just went bye bye.

14. KWClutch

Haha the first thing my brother did is act like he had a bazooka and go beep....beep..beep..beepbeepbeepbeepbeep

Yeah I'm not planning on trying it out anytime soon. Main thing I've seen is to stay away from large power lines and make sure you're connected to a few satellites before taking off. I'll be taking it very carefully for a little while. It's an expansive wreck. I also put a 'please return to' sticker on it. Haha.

15. todd4566

todd4566 Man Of Steel Established Member

Wow that's really cool. Might have to get one of these.

16. BigDan

BigDan Active Member Established Member

Nice.

I have power lines that zig zag all over my area and a tall pine tree canopy. I didn't see any power lines in your whole neighborhood....lucky

17. Granelli31

Granelli31 New Member Established Member

Hey I have one of those!

[youtube_browser]j2ANbnrJ__c[/youtube_browser]

BTW, don't but a Zenmuse gimbal, get the Tarot T2d for $140. It's just as good if not better.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  18. MovingZen

MovingZen And I'm on my way! Established Member

I have one also and they sure are fun to fly. As far as the 400 ft thing goes, I believe that's a recommendation and not actually a law. But, if you are within 7 miles of an airport it becomes a serious safety hazard in flight paths.
    I just updated my firmware the other day and was able to fly over 1k ft away (300 ft up) and still had FPV control. I let my son fly it and instead of going forward he went up and before I realized it he had it up over 700ft. I brought it down really quick. Check around, if your controller is like mine there's a gain adjustment on the underside. Mine came in Euro mode and switching it to FCC mode gets greater distance capability.:beer:

19. OnceStruck

OnceStruck New Member Established Member

Here's a picture of my custom batwing v-tail quad I just finished up. Absolutely love flying this thing, and now that I'm pretty decent at it I'm gonna set it up for some FPV flying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  20. 04sleeper

04sleeper Runs On "Liquid Gold" Staff Member Super Moderator

Didn't want to show the crash landing? LOL.

J/K

Looks like fun Josh. Should make for some good car videos. :thumbsup: