2nd Gear shift issues.

2012Ridge

Established Member
Okay so this spring i'm gonna try to address this issue. The car has an extremely heavy clutch.
Actually had a stress fracture from driving it in my foot lol. Seems to be way too heavy. It's a Ram HD i believe. The car has issues engaging into first sometimes at a stop. I've adjusted the cable adjuster several times nothing seems to help that. Only happens here and there. But the real issue is 2nd gear as stated in the title. It seems fine when car is cool. But once warmed up it gives me issues at high rpm going from first to second. Basically anything over 4k. It's like you're locked out. So I've googled and looked around but still not sure what to think. Car has new clutch cable, upr quadrant, MGW Orange handle, Tried new trans fluid Syncromesh from what i saw people raving about during my googles. That didnt change anything. So basically what do you guys think? Syncro? Shifter? Clutch/Pressure plate? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if i just drive casually there is np.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
How many miles on the car? If it has high miles more than likey is worn and needs a rebuild. Other thought is the clutch may not be setup correctly.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
What is your power level? Just a guess, but it sounds like it could be your pressure plate may be too weak or worn and collapsing at the higher rpm range so it doesn't release the clutch disc for the shift.

olympic

Established Member
Mine was exactly the same-extremely heavy pedal and trouble shifting at high RPM. I was never able to 100% isolate the problem but when I removed the trans and clutch I noticed the PP had a lot of hot spots on it. My theory is that the clutch was not releasing fully. I've since installed an RXT and a Magnum but haven't driven it since it's still winter here for a while yet. Clutch pedal is light as feather now though! :)

2012Ridge

Established Member
40k miles and car has just a 2.93 pulley and intake/exhaust.
Also has a brand new rear end. Everything was replaced, Full tilt boogie racing kit as well.

Last edited:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
It could be a lot of things or a combination of things. To name a few; wrong tb, poorly adjusted ball, broken/cracked springs on clutch disc/pp, grease/hot spots on clutch/pp/flywheel, warped flywheel/pp. That is where my inspections would begin.

hotcobra03

Established Member
heavy?

is it super hard to push pedal? more than normal.

I had issue with hard to push/stiff..

I had a hard time with all gears..even trying to shift without clutch..

after replacing every thing I still had problem..

I did find my issue,,binding clutch cable..new

I pulled cable..flooded it with wd 40..

re installed, been very easy to shift and pedal to push

Users who are viewing this thread