3.0 whipple to F1a procharger

Marvin9075

Established Member
So thinking about making the switch from the 3.0 whipple to a f1a procharger. Growing old of it and wanting something different . Came across Kornfeds f1a set up from years ago on here . I love the sound of these blowers and enjoy the mid range to up top pull of them . Just seeing what peoples opinions are on these set ups and if they enjoyed swapping over. This would be going on my 03 cobra that has a full fuel system and e85 already . Stock motor and apr head studs. Car currently makes 760 Rwhp with the current set up . Thanks for any info

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
While I'm not a F1-94 I am YSI-B and I'm the only one pushing one well past anything that I've seen. I can tell you if you want a procharger it's not a easy bolt on and go application. I have so much time and money into my Vortech setup it's stupid.. Now granted I'm making 29psi and running faster than any 3.0 Whipple in the 1/8th even with misfiring, and lifting the heads..

Just be prepared, if you want it done right, you want it move out good it's not a bolt on and go application like the Whipple is.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I’ve had an SN and New Edge Cobra along with two fox bodies with ProChargers. I wouldn’t in a thousand years go to one from a Whipple. Every one of them leaked to a varying degree, one started about 2k after I got it back from ATI for P1 to D1 upgrade/rebuild. We aren’t talking a bad enough leak to really worry about between oil changes (way more frequent than Whipple, as well) but if you like your stuff clean it will be annoying. The atmospheric air dump whooshing can be annoying if you’re on a longer drive with the windows down also.

They were a ton of fun for sure but I don’t think I would ever buy one again. Heck on my 351 fox I sold the D1 and threw a nitrous kit on it followed by a turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had an F1A on a big bore set up and I really miss it. It was a ton of fun. Once you start spinning a centri like it's meant to be spun the torque starts to come in. I actually thought about throwing the F1A onto my 04 when I bought it since I had everything to do the swap. But at the time I wanted to keep it legal and didn't want to deal with the headaches of the swap.

If you're looking for a project and want to tinker, go for it. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. Especially since you have the fuel system to turn it up. But if you want to bolt it on and go I think you should stay away as well.

Also, I loved the way the open BOV sounded.

Marvin9075

Established Member
I had an F1A on a big bore set up and I really miss it. It was a ton of fun. Once you start spinning a centri like it's meant to be spun the torque starts to come in. I actually thought about throwing the F1A onto my 04 when I bought it since I had everything to do the swap. But at the time I wanted to keep it legal and didn't want to deal with the headaches of the swap.

If you're looking for a project and want to tinker, go for it. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. Especially since you have the fuel system to turn it up. But if you want to bolt it on and go I think you should stay away as well.

Also, I loved the way the open BOV sounded.
I wouldn’t be the one to install it out of fear I would mess it up …. I am out here in Texas and close to HPP and a couple of other really good shops i would ask to install … I am a huge fan of the sound and used to have a vortech on my old 99gt and loved it.

robvas

Established Member
I'm making 150hp less than you with a Whipple and was making around the same with a centrifugal, the cars couldn't have felt more different. Very lazy down low, but if you're ready to downshift to 5,000rpm it's ready to party. Definitely more exciting for that last 1,500rpm.

I'm also not a huge fan of the open BOV during cruise/idle (vacuum), having the bracket and blower hanging off the front, the extra piping from a FMIC. Centris look cool but a Whipple is a lot cleaner under the hood.

Marvin9075

Established Member
I'm making 150hp less than you with a Whipple and was making around the same with a centrifugal, the cars couldn't have felt more different. Very lazy down low, but if you're ready to downshift to 5,000rpm it's ready to party. Definitely more exciting for that last 1,500rpm.

I'm also not a huge fan of the open BOV during cruise/idle (vacuum), having the bracket and blower hanging off the front, the extra piping from a FMIC. Centris look cool but a Whipple is a lot cleaner under the hood.
I love the sound and I drive the car only a couple times a month so it doesn’t go far… I love the whipple but the damn thing doesn’t hook for shit so I am at the point if I can’t put the power down it’s not very much fun when it’s spinning the whole time … I enjoy highway pulls more then starting from a lower gear anyways

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The F1A will spin just as bad as the Whipple once you start getting into its efficiency range. I always ran drag radials with that set up.

I've always said the issue is people pulley the centris for 6psi then wonder why it feels soft down low. The blower isn't in its efficiency range. Especially down low. Start spinning that blower like it's supposed to be and it wakes up earlier and pulls all the way through.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

CE9B90B2-71EF-437B-A4A4-0F0FDA829B33.jpeg

That’s debatable
47399707-66D8-4FE9-8D85-2DC77A7ACE7D.jpeg
3F312B69-1BA4-4694-B627-562B803A65EB.jpeg

Marvin9075

Established Member
The F1A will spin just as bad as the Whipple once you start getting into its efficiency range. I always ran drag radials with that set up.

I've always said the issue is people pulley the centris for 6psi then wonder why it feels soft down low. The blower isn't in its efficiency range. Especially down low. Start spinning that blower like it's supposed to be and it wakes up earlier and pulls all the way through.
I am on Hoosier drag radials now and it still spins like crazy was thinking of swapping to a 15 inch wheel and a taller tire . Also I hate how quick the whipple heat soaks so quickly is another reason I want to ditch it.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I am on Hoosier drag radials now and it still spins like crazy was thinking of swapping to a 15 inch wheel and a taller tire . Also I hate how quick the whipple heat soaks so quickly is another reason I want to ditch it.
I was down at HHP in Deleware the other day. They are a Hellcat shop primarily but we were discussing the Whipple 3.0 which I just bought from them.

I was returning it cause I wasnt hearing good things about heat soak and they agreed that even with the F1 Chiller the IAT's were still pretty high after just one run.

Im opting for the 3.8 with the upgraded intercooler which seems to be necessary. They offer one for the 3.0 as well but it still gets hot. The 3.8 has billet rotors as well.

I would go Turbo if the Truck wasnt so heavy. The roots style blower just gets the heavier vehicle out of the whole better. Im also looking forward to the 130mm TB upgrade which is one of the hold ups for the Magnuson 3100. They were having TB issues which is why they havnt released it yet.

I wanted the Magi 3100 but they have been jerking ppl off for 3 years now since they released the specs back in 2020 at SEMA.

Last edited:

Marvin9075

Established Member
I was down at HHP in Deleware the other day. They are a Hellcat shop primarily but we were discussing the Whipple 3.0 which I just bought from them.

I was returning it cause I wasnt hearing good things about heat soak and they agreed that even with the F1 Chiller the IAT's were still pretty high after just one run.

Im opting for the 3.8 with the upgraded intercooler which seems to be necessary. They offer one for the 3.0 as well but it still gets hot. The 3.8 has billet rotors as well.

I would go Turbo if the Truck wasnt so heavy. The roots style blower just gets the heavier vehicle out of the whole better. Im also looking forward to the 130mm TB upgrade which is one of the hold ups for the Magnuson 3100. They were having TB issues which is why they havnt released it yet.

I wanted the Magi 3100 but they have been jerking ppl off for 3 years now since they released the specs back in 2020 at SEMA.
Yeah the heat from this thing is insane and I don’t enjoy it … i figured with the f1a that would be much less of an issue… I just remember having the vortech on my old new edge and that thing pulled strong after multiple runs … ultimately just want to be different and I rarely see cobras with these set ups and I am sure I will get hate for considering it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You won't get any hate from me. I'm a centri guy deep down. It was just easier to swap to the Whipple.

I had the big Procharger intercooler and I remember never being much above ambient for my inlet temps.

robvas

Established Member
Very clean but I was thinking more of daily driver with a powerpipe etc. You could probably clean a whipple engine bay up pretty good!

Attachments

• IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_9703.jpg
    IMG_9703.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 109

96dreamer

Established Member
Very clean but I was thinking more of daily driver with a powerpipe etc. You could probably clean a whipple engine bay up pretty good!

Mine isn't as clean as @98 Saleen Cobra's but it could serve dd function if needed. Still retains ac and power steering. The whole car seat function makes it not really feasible though.

Attachments

• 20210908_141301.jpg
    20210908_141301.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread